Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Kick Nicotine Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jan-04-07, 22:23

Plan: adkins
Stats: 215/202/135 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 16%
Default Harder than dieting HELP

Wow, I didn't even know this site was here. I guess it just found me when I needed it! I started dieting on 1/2/2007 and quit smoking 1/3/2007. I always tried to fool myself by saying I wasn't really a smoker because going several days without cig. is not a problem for me it is drinking without cigs. that is the real problem for me and when I drink believe me I smoke like a pack or more,so I more than make up for the days I don't smoke. I am a total hypocrite smoker as well b/c I really cannot stand the smell of cig. any other time from anyone. I will not let anyone smoke near me in the car or my house. I even turn the vent off in my car if someone is smoking in the car beside me or in front of me b/c I don't want to smell it. It is sooo strange but the second I have a drink I love them. Well i have decided I have to quit it all drinking and smoking if I m going to quit either...I can feel the urge starting tonight and it was overwhelming...I don't know if I want a drink or a cig. and I think it is really going to be more of a challenge than I thought. Any advice wecome here. Thanx
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jan-10-07, 12:43

Plan: Low carb/Atkins
Stats: 230/205/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 31%

Bestyear,
It sounds like you are a social smoker. That is what I am too. I would never smoke at work, and the only time I usually smoke is when I have had a few drinks. My husband is a smoker and he smokes maybe 3 to 4 a day. The fact is that when I'm at home by myself I get bored and I find myself drawn to having a cig. If they weren't in the house I wouldn't be tempted. Lately I've been smoking a few during the day. I can also go a few days without cigs. I'm worried what this is doing to my health and that I'm going to get addicted. I really want to stop this nasty habit, but fear as long as Hubby is smoking, I will continue.

Candyless
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jan-22-07, 21:25

Plan: Atkins - O.W.L.
Stats: 197/172/150 Female 5 ft 5 in
BF:
Progress: 53%

I was a cross between a "social" smoker and a "ritual" smoker. I smoked a regular 4 to 5 a day. If I was going out partying I would smoke more (maybe up to 5 more) but for the past 11 years or so, I rarely went out partying (motherhood can do that).

But, it wasn't just the ritual and the social stuff. I loved the nicotine high.

What I have found is that nicorette gum is helping me. I would combine it was a strong tasting regular gum. So now, as I'm trying to reduce the number or nicorette gums, I sometimes just chew the strong tasting gum (Air Waves) and get a Pavlovian reaction of feeling satisfied w/out the real nicotine hit.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jan-22-07, 22:41

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 455/224/200 Male 6-3
BF:
Progress: 91%

Just as Atkins is not a diet, but a lifestyle; you could look to at your smoking cessation as not quitting something, but gaining something - like a new life, new good habits, more money in your pocket, etc.

I know - you can tell right away I am not a smoker nor have I ever had to quit, right? Right!

But, I still contend if you can think of the postive aspects 24/7, it will keep you away from those addictive little things.

Around these parts, a pack goes for $6 and up. Boy, what an incentive to quit!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jan-25-07, 14:13

Plan: Atkins/ME
Stats: 145/140/130 Female 5'6"
BF:?
Progress: 33%

I am like a lot of you, loved my wine with my cigs. I just had to put the wine and smokes down once and for all. I keep thinking one day I can enjoy a glass of wine without craving the cig.......but who knows , I am certainly not there yet!! IT has only been a coupl months.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jan-25-07, 14:25
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 170/170/140 Female 5'6'
BF:
Progress:
Lightbulb

Cig companies have increased the nicotine in their products by 11% in just the last 7 years. So don't beat yourself up. Just knowing you are XACTLY where they want you to be without having to disclose to the public should make you mad enough to quit. Yes I was a 2 a day packer and then I went to social smoking and I am now free for over 10 years. My sweetie quit after smoking for over 40 years. Cold turkey. He is now 4 weeks free and counting. You can do it too. Good luck.