Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Pre-Maintenance & Maintenance
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jul-04-09, 06:48

Plan: Atkins ~ DANDR
Stats: 230/230/150 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:it is going down!
Progress: 0%
Default Newbie to this Premaintenance group!

I did it! I am at 90 percent Woohoo!!

So, since I am finally here, can I ask some probing questions?

1. Do you ever wonder if when you hit "goal" it will be enough?
2. When you hit goal, what are you going to focus on as much as you have to get to goal?

I have dreamed of getting to this point for years. I mean YEARS!! It is so hard to believe I have made it this far. It feels good to be OUT of the six month yuck place I was and finally moving in losing again.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jul-04-09, 09:43
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Good for you Sheila!

I think that you maybe missing something here.... is that the 6 months where you were successfully maintaining your weight!

I know that you don't see it that way but it is true....that the way you were eating enabled your body to not regain weight. Those 6 months are a valuable thing in the bigger scheme of things.

What I have seen happen to several people who use M&E to get to goal, is that as soon as they re-introduce any carb foods at all( even induction veggies), that they see water weight gain and think that reverting back to M&E is the only way to get it back off again...so begins the yo-yo cycle.

I am not trying to rain on your parade here at all....just giving you info from what I've seen happen here many times.
Atkins broke his plan down into 4 phases for this reason. OWL will lead people into pre-maintenance while slowly building up carb levels.

Too many go in the other directon (M&E or VLC) and their bodies lose the ability to digest/process carbohydrate foods, not to mention trashing your adrenals. So any that you eat, will see water weight gain in your body.

My question to you is, What will you do about your carb levels?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheila
I knew that I wanted to maintain under my goal weight. I also knew that I didn't want to get below 150, for my age and height it works for me.
Quote:
2. When you hit goal, what are you going to focus on as much as you have to get to goal?

I focus on keeping my food as good as it was to get the weight off. I'd like to be focusing on getting more exercise too but I am very lazy about that.

And just for the record, according to the definition of this forum, the last 5-10 lbs to lose puts you in pre-maintenance. Reaching 90% of your goal weight is the parameter set for being part of the maintenance weighin.

Congrats again....
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jul-08-09, 01:34

Plan: Ray Peat (not low-carb)
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 164cm
BF:
Progress: 51%

Hi Judy!

At long last! I am in the 91% bracket!!!

I have done this by changing my goal stats, to be honest, but I have decided that my main priority right now is to deal with some other issues, such as dealing with stress and stopping to self-medicate with caffeine and alcohol.

Last year in summer, I had set my goal at 135lbs, then I got ambitious and put it down to 130lbs at the beginning of 2009. However, I can wear the Eddie Bauer Bermuda Trousers of Truth again, which were the benchmark for whether I had reached goal in terms of shape, rather than numbers.

Now I have decided that it would be perfectly adequate for the time being to aim for 135lbs.

I feel like I have "cheated" to get in here, but am I still allowed anyway???

My main goal is to stay at my current weight - a bit below or above being acceptable - and not to end up putting ten pounds back on again over Christmas.

Let me know if I'm welcome or not!

amanda
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jul-09-09, 09:25
Attitude is a Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandawood
Hi Judy!

At long last! I am in the 91% bracket!!!

I have done this by changing my goal stats, to be honest, but I have decided that my main priority right now is to deal with some other issues, such as dealing with stress and stopping to self-medicate with caffeine and alcohol.

Last year in summer, I had set my goal at 135lbs, then I got ambitious and put it down to 130lbs at the beginning of 2009. However, I can wear the Eddie Bauer Bermuda Trousers of Truth again, which were the benchmark for whether I had reached goal in terms of shape, rather than numbers.

Now I have decided that it would be perfectly adequate for the time being to aim for 135lbs.

I feel like I have "cheated" to get in here, but am I still allowed anyway???

My main goal is to stay at my current weight - a bit below or above being acceptable - and not to end up putting ten pounds back on again over Christmas.

Let me know if I'm welcome or not!

amanda

Hi Amanda!

By definition, this section of the site is open to all who are 5-10 lbs away from their goal weight.

If you are asking me about the weighin? I had to set a line where the number of pounds from goal was not the factor.
Hence, the 90% of goal cutoff.

There are many people, like yourself, with only a few pounds to lose. That 5-10 lbs limit would qualify them to weighin with us as they can be relative newbies and have not really learned or earned, the right to be in this maintenance weighin.
So a 90% of total is more fair to all of us.

Only you can decide if you are at your goal weight...and if you feel good at your current weight and want to weighin with us....you are more than welcome to do so!!
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jul-10-09, 01:44

Plan: Ray Peat (not low-carb)
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 164cm
BF:
Progress: 51%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judynyc
Hi Amanda!

If you are asking me about the weighin? I had to set a line where the number of pounds from goal was not the factor.
Hence, the 90% of goal cutoff.

So a 90% of total is more fair to all of us.

Only you can decide if you are at your goal weight...and if you feel good at your current weight and want to weighin with us....you are more than welcome to do so!!

I fully understand the percentage thing (even though I'm no genius at maths). If I stay within the 90% bracket, I'm maintaining, right?

Oh, well, today I was up to 136.8, and that puts me at 85% of goal... So I'm out of the 90% bracket again...

Never mind, I am trying out this SPII thing, tweaking the carbs here and there, but I either had too many carbs yesterday, or the wrong kind (white bread...). Anyway, I don't want to get hung up on percentages either, so if I don't "qualify" for pre-maintenance, it's OK. But I'm just 0.7lbs higher than I was a day or two ago, so I'm not going to kill myself over this. I really want to focus on my stress management and not on numbers right now.

amanda

amanda

Last edited by amandawood : Fri, Jul-10-09 at 01:49.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jul-10-09, 08:26
Attitude is a Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandawood
I fully understand the percentage thing (even though I'm no genius at maths). If I stay within the 90% bracket, I'm maintaining, right?

Oh, well, today I was up to 136.8, and that puts me at 85% of goal... So I'm out of the 90% bracket again...

Never mind, I am trying out this SPII thing, tweaking the carbs here and there, but I either had too many carbs yesterday, or the wrong kind (white bread...). Anyway, I don't want to get hung up on percentages either, so if I don't "qualify" for pre-maintenance, it's OK. But I'm just 0.7lbs higher than I was a day or two ago, so I'm not going to kill myself over this. I really want to focus on my stress management and not on numbers right now.

amanda

amanda

Hi Amanda!
I can see that this could drive anyone a bit nuts ....but in my opinion, as long as you stay within 3 lbs of your goal weight, you are maintaining.

The reason your % changes so much is the simple fact that 1 lb to your total is 10% of your total. 1 lb of my total is hardly any % at all. Try not to get so hung up on all the numbers as our weight always fluctuates by a couple of pounds, up or down, naturally anyway.

I have a set number that I will not allow my body to go over....that is when I will take action to make sure that I don't gain anymore than that. Maybe you need to figure out what that number is for your body?

So, come on and join us in our maintenance weighin.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jul-03-10, 10:10
Registered Member

Plan: The Diet Solution
Stats: 140/138.5/135 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 30%

thanks Judy for answering my questions in your posts to others. I guess water weight and bloat really do add up to that wiggle room of 2-3 lbs.

I hope I'm eligible for the weigh-in too!! I have never been much higher than 140/144 in my entire life except when pregnant - yet I diet like crazy so many times to get down to a very un-maintainable 130!! So joining all you lovely people I hope will teach me to be 'reasonable' and to set better goals - and to eat to maintain, and be healthy.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Jul-03-10, 10:48

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 237.0/209.0/160 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 36%

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Sheila*
I did it! I am at 90 percent Woohoo!!

So, since I am finally here, can I ask some probing questions?

I have dreamed of getting to this point for years. I mean YEARS!! It is so hard to believe I have made it this far. It feels good to be OUT of the six month yuck place I was and finally moving in losing again.

Congrats Shelia! What a wonderful accomplishment.