Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#301   ^
Old Wed, Nov-27-02, 19:27

Plan: CAD
Stats: 244/226.5/140
BF:
Progress: 17%

Amber,

You can not have too little of carbs during your CM. It is little to no carbs. So unless you so start going backwards, you don't have to worry about "getting enough" carbs during CM.

Sponsored Links
  #302   ^
Old Thu, Nov-28-02, 07:54

Plan: CAD from day 1
Stats: 327/304/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 14%
Default No turnips allowed

I double checked my book and turnip is not on the CM-allowed list of veggies. Ah well, back to beans and peppers
  #303   ^
Old Thu, Nov-28-02, 09:19
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%
Unhappy Sorry, no turnip!

Turnip has 3.3 net grams carb per 1/2 cup mashed. It's a vegetable that sneaked in via another lc plan. On CAD/CALP it can be a trigger food like broccoli.

I'll take it off the list.
  #304   ^
Old Thu, Nov-28-02, 11:38
Golden Greek Girl

Plan: Atkins induction
Stats: 207/200/185 Female 5'8
BF:?????
Default Cassie

I thought we were to eat 4 carbs per CM. Or is it up to 4 carbs per CM?

When I skip a meal I just grab a handful. The can says 4 carbs per 27 pieces. I know I only eat like 10 pieces. So is it totally no nuts except at RM, or no nuts totally? Any input would be greatly appreciated on this issue. Since starting Atkins I have acquired a taste for nuts now. Especially almonds, macadamias and cashews.
  #305   ^
Old Thu, Nov-28-02, 11:44
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:

Amber
Nuts can be a stall and a trigger. Usually I use nuts, I don't react to macadamias, to replace a CM but everyone is different. I would take them out for a few days and see if your weight goes down. If it does,they are a nono except at RM for you.
  #306   ^
Old Thu, Nov-28-02, 11:54
Golden Greek Girl

Thanks Zuleika on your quick response. I think you are right. I have noticed that since I started with the nuts I am no longer leaning towards the 192 range. I am always bouncing between 193 and 195. So thanks again I hope your holiday is going well for you.
  #307   ^
Old Fri, Nov-29-02, 03:08

Plan: May 03 CAD
Stats: 233/231/150
BF:
Progress: 2%
Unhappy Stress Binge at 11pm

Hi All

Have got a confession to make today and if anyone has read my journal they will understand - but its no excuse really.

I had my RM at lunch yesterday in school and was fine - then last night around 11ish I started on the choccie biscuits for no apparent reason and had finished a quarter of a packet before I could blink.

Am totally back on track this morning with bacon and eggs - but just needed to off load that - I cant believe I was so silly.

Especially since I'd not lost any weight this week - although I never gained either so thats something. Anyway I'd best go prepare for my classes.

bye
  #308   ^
Old Fri, Nov-29-02, 11:25

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 230/185/160 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 64%

Funny, CAD, which you would think is easier because of the RM at the end of the day, is actually much more restrictive than Atkins, No nuts, no snacking, It's really tough, I wanted to change over because I stopped losing on Atkins, but I'm really afraid i won't be able to do it, are you folks having trouble with the restrictions. chris
  #309   ^
Old Fri, Nov-29-02, 12:01

Stats: 244/226.5/140
BF:
Progress: 17%

Actually, in a way, it can be more restrictive. But think of this... when is the last time you had a taco.. WITH the tortilla? Or a small bowl of ice cream? Or potatoe with butter and sour cream?

While I believe it is wise to eat to live, and not live to eat, I think that foods are benefitial to our mental health sometimes. I don't get cravings anymore, but I love sitting down and eating with my family, even if they are having spaghetti!

That is why CAD is just so great, you can eat what both Low Fat dieters and Atkins (and most other Low Carb) dieters CAN NOT during your RM. It is your life. What is the point of it if you can't have the foods you enjoy?

I get through the CM's just fine, because I know I can have that high carb goodie (even if it is a high carb veggies, like broccolli covered in cheese sauce... mmmmm!) during my RM, and the RM is NEVER more than 24 hours away. That also makes it sooo much easier because you hardly want to cheat.

Say you are window shopping and you pass by a cute little bakery that you used to just LOVE. You see an eclaire that you really want, and with this woe you can buy it and put it in the fridge until RM! Then you can have it! AND you can lose weight and will not have cravings for it later, which is something low fatters and lowcarbers both CAN't do on their woe.

It is simply the easiest WOE I've ever experienced, and I rarely have to think about it all, with the exception... Potatoe or ice cream? Lol!
  #310   ^
Old Fri, Nov-29-02, 12:56
Registered Member

Stats: 292/263/165
BF:
Progress: 23%

Yes, I totally agree. Its more restrictive but at RM you can eat whatever you want, I always have something to look forward to. I don't feel restricted for breakfast and lunch, I can handle the LC meal just as long as I can have my wonderful RM at dinner. After dinner, I don't have any cravings (exception for yesterday). On Atkins, I was really hard not to have something sweet between dinner and bedtime.
  #311   ^
Old Fri, Nov-29-02, 14:27

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 157/147.5/138 Female 5 ft 6 1/2 in
BF:?/26%/24%
Progress: 50%
Default no snacks isn't a problem

Chris,

I waited for weeks after buying the CAD book to make the switch because I didn't see how I could last without any snacks. On Atkins, I pretty much grazed along ... I often had some nuts in the middle of the afternoon, and the bars, or LC choc.

However, I stalled on Atkins, which frustrated me, and after 4 months, I started cheating. So I decided to switch to CAD for a 2 week trial - I figured that I could give up snacks for 2 weeks.

Funny thing, I haven't missed my snacks at all! It's not so much that I have to put off having something to my Reward Meal, but that I'm just not hungry between meals! Or in the evenings, which used to be the worst for me.

One of the best parts about CAD is that you get away from "fake" foods. I haven't had SF Jello, used Splenda or aspartame, or an Atkins shake since I started.

It's only been 3 weeks for me, but I can honestly say that I haven't cheated even once!
  #312   ^
Old Fri, Nov-29-02, 19:03

Plan: Six week Body Makeover
Stats: 251.4/220.4/135 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 27%

Quote:
Originally posted by chrisews
snip
are you folks having trouble with the restrictions. chris

Not at all.....I found Atkins to be very restrictive and expensive to maintain, not only in the short term, but because it is expected to be a life-long change. On Atkins, I was treating cream cheese and heavy cream as food groups of their own! And I was in the grocery store several times a week getting more.

On CAD I have a cupboard full of things I can now eat that on Atkins were out of my life forever. Forever .

The only key is TIMING. Believe me, I find it much easier to CAD. I feel absolutely no need to "snack"....I just am not hungry most of the time.

Last edited by skyspinner : Fri, Nov-29-02 at 19:05.
  #313   ^
Old Fri, Nov-29-02, 21:22
Golden Greek Girl

Quote:
are you folks having trouble with the restrictions.

I agree I had more problems with Atkins then CAD. I stalled on atkins for 3-4 weeks. Not the case with CAD. I have messed up a few times with nuts, but I am still losing and feeling good. I stopped feeling good on Atkins on my 3rd week of stalls. The energy burst stopped and I just didn't feel good in the morning any longer. Now I feel great.
  #314   ^
Old Mon, Dec-02-02, 20:21

Plan: Keto
Stats: 203/187.2/140 Female 5' 3"
BF:75%/5%/25%
Progress: 25%

On CALP you can snack IF you really want to, but it has to be protein... NO CARBS...
  #315   ^
Old Tue, Dec-03-02, 08:26

Plan: low salt
Stats: 207/236/160 Female 5'10"
BF:44.1%/33.86%/?
Progress: -62%
Post CALP snacks

I read in my CALP book that a snack should be a smaller version of a CM. They give an example of a CM being 50% protein and 50% veggie, but that you can tweak that if you like. Therefore, I include a small amount of veggies (carbs) with any snack.

HTH,
Julie