Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, May-28-03, 01:57
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins / CKD
Stats: 191/187/165
BF:
Progress: 15%
Default Switch from Atkins to CKD

I've been on Atkins for about a month now, and did not lose much weight on the Atkins plan.
I'm planning to switch over to CKD, but I have some questions that need to be answered before I make the switch.

I plan to take a fat burner to help burn more fat. But, Atkins advised not to use Caffeine, since it may raise bloodsugars.
On the other hand, CKD advises to use a fat burner, but most fat burners contain caffeine. So, who's right?

Also, what is a good fat burner to take these days?

One more question:
Is it really neccesary to do cardio in the morning? Can I just do cardio and work out my whole body at one gym visit? I don't think I can find the time to goto the gym in the morning.

Also, is there anything I need to know before I make the switch?

Last edited by tomt : Wed, May-28-03 at 01:58.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, May-30-03, 08:27

Plan: modified CKD
Stats: 207/157/125 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 61%

Quote:
CKD advises to use a fat burner, but most fat burners contain caffeine. So, who's right?

Neither is really right or wrong. It all depends on how the caffeine affects each person, I guess. I've used an ECA stack for about a year now, and I think it's helped immensly! Make sure you drink A LOT of water though, especially when working out, because you'll get dehydrated a lot easier (from the caffeine).

I've used Ripped fuel, Metabolift (cheaper but hard to find), and Stacker 2 with basically the same results. As long as you don't have high blood pressure or any of the other risk factors on the bottles, just make sure you don't get anything that is "Ephedra free" because then it's about the same as taking a very expensive caffeine pill!

About cardio, I usually do it seperate from my weight training (in the morning) on an empty stomach (after taking the eca stack and drinking a lot of water). I know a lot of people who do it whenever they lift weights at the gym, though. I think it's best to lift weights before cardio if youre doing them in the same gym visit, to deplete more glycogen, so that you'd be burning more fat during the cardio than glycogen. I probably screwed up the explination but I hope you got the idea.

Good luck!

Michelle
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-03, 14:59
Contributing Member

Plan: CKD - TKD
Stats: 270/265/240 Male 70 in
BF:
Progress: 17%
Default Re: Switch from Atkins to CKD

Quote:
Originally posted by tomt

I plan to take a fat burner to help burn more fat. But, Atkins advised not to use Caffeine, since it may raise bloodsugars.
On the other hand, CKD advises to use a fat burner, but most fat burners contain caffeine. So, who's right?

tomt, i've been doing CKD for a while, and one thing that always helped me get through the long week is caffeine, well however much that's in Ripped Fuel. I started Body Opus before knowing anything about Atkins and on while you're on a CKD (more precisely Body Opus), your carb intake is zero to none throughout most of the week. Once you're in ketosis, your glycogen levels should be pretty much depleted. So, initially if your glycogen levels are low and you take some Ripped Fuel, your body is going to try to find any bit of glucose to add to the blood and since you don't have much left, any addition caffeine won't affect your blood sugar levels much. I think when your on Atkins, caffeine will rasie blood sugar levels b/c you get to eat some carbs but I'm not positive. Anyways, like Michelle stated, you gotta drink LOTS of H20. Dehydration on this diet occurs easily.
As for working out separate vs all in one session, i've tried it both ways and i don't think it matters. I know that you don't want your ketone levels too high thats why they advise to separate the workout. usually your ketone levels are highest in the mornings, so you would want to burn some off before breakfast. if you have time, do it, if not don't....that's the beauty of the CKD, self-adjustment ....just be sure if to monitor your ketone levels.

hope this helps, good luck, Mano
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-03, 22:53
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins / CKD
Stats: 191/187/165
BF:
Progress: 15%

Thank you both Michelle and Mano for repling!

Your information has really helped me. I'm on CKD for now, but have not chosen a fat burner to take yet. Seem like Ripped Fuel is the more popular choice. I've taken it before and it has helped me, maybe I'll try it again.

Thanks again.
Oh, I have one more question, I'll post it seperatly:

I know it says to work out Mon, Wed, Fri, but I did a really hard workout on Monday, and I'm still sore, is it still a good idea to workout again on Wed?

I don't wanna over work my muscles, because it might not grow.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jun-04-03, 09:43
Contributing Member

Plan: CKD - TKD
Stats: 270/265/240 Male 70 in
BF:
Progress: 17%

you're on the right track, i'd still probably go and do some other bodypart, if you're sore, that means your body has to try and rebuild those musclefibers and it'll be tough on a CKD, but i'd still goto the gym to keep ketone levels down if you're already in ketosis, or to help get there if not. you might be sore throughtout the rest of the week until you carbup, just hang in there and get lots of sleep/rest until then....good luck
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jun-05-03, 12:40
Registered Member

Plan: B/O & ULTIMATE DIET
Stats: 205/185/180
BF:10%
Progress: 80%
Talking

I was one time an ephedrine junkie. Since twinlab came out with its new ephedrine free version of ripped fuel Ill never go back. This stuff is fantastic.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jul-09-03, 13:53
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 155/155/155 Male 5'7"
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManoOPUS
So, initially if your glycogen levels are low and you take some Ripped Fuel, your body is going to try to find any bit of glucose to add to the blood and since you don't have much left, any addition caffeine won't affect your blood sugar levels much. I think when your on Atkins, caffeine will rasie blood sugar levels b/c you get to eat some carbs but I'm not positive. Mano

First of all Mano, I don't mean this as an attack. I'm just curious, have you read anything that supports your theory on why caffeine WONT affect our blood sugar levels much while in ketosis? I really hope this is true, but I never accept things because I want them to be true. I accept them based on scientific fact.

You are right about Atkins, you do get to eat SOME carbs, but its open to debate whether or not its enough carbs to create any presence of glucose in the blood. I, for example, only eat 15-20gms carbs a day. I wonder if caffeine would raise my blood sugar level?
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jul-14-03, 14:01
Registered Member

Plan: TKD
Stats: 195/185/210
BF:
Progress: -67%

Caffeine DOES NOT by itself raise blood sugar levels. However, it does reduce glucose tolerance; i.e. if you consume carbs with caffeine, you will have a higher blood sugar response. This was demonstrated in "Effects of caffeine on glucose tolerance: a placebo-controlled study" (1998) and "Caffeine-induced impairment of glucose tolerance is abolished by beta-adrenergic receptor blockade in humans" (2002). If you are on a ketogenic diet, and consuming zero carbs (or near-zero), caffeine will have no impact on your blood sugar levels.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jul-14-03, 17:34
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 190/112/105 Female 64"
BF:45/21.6/18%
Progress: 92%
Default coffee question

I am also switching from Atkins to CKD (Monday after my carb up this weekend). I was reading this site and became concerned since I am a coffeed drinker and never gave it up with Atkins and still was successful losing weight. Now my goals with CKD are to lose body fat. My question is, is coffee allowed on CKD??? Also, anyone have any suggestions on supplements to take while doing CKD.
TIA,
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-03, 03:08
Registered Member

Plan: CKD
Stats: 238/217/200 Male 76 inches
BF:17/15/7
Progress: 55%

sorry to jump in but in a nutshell basically the ckd is atkins, but you get to put on muscle...correct? just say yes please haha, and get to eat your food once a week? is there any health risks with the cycling more than what is with atkins...

Last edited by joe_ : Wed, Jul-16-03 at 03:09.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Jul-18-03, 10:22

Stats: 238/208/200 Male 6 feet
BF:16, 7.5, 4
Progress: 79%

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomt
I've been on Atkins for about a month now, and did not lose much weight on the Atkins plan.
I'm planning to switch over to CKD, but I have some questions that need to be answered before I make the switch.

Also, what is a good fat burner to take these days?

One more question:
Is it really neccesary to do cardio in the morning? Can I just do cardio and work out my whole body at one gym visit? I don't think I can find the time to goto the gym in the morning.

Also, is there anything I need to know before I make the switch?

Cardio in the morning on an empty stomach is ideal, would it be possible to go for a walk or something enar where you live so you dont have to drive to the gym? Maybe even purchase a cheap stationary bike? If not do your cardio AFTER you weight train......

I take Twinlab's Ripped Fuel, has worked great for me.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Jul-18-03, 15:44
Registered Member

Plan: CKD
Stats: 238/217/200 Male 76 inches
BF:17/15/7
Progress: 55%

if you do cardio after you weight train how would you go about doing the post workout shake?
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Jul-19-03, 05:18

Stats: 238/208/200 Male 6 feet
BF:16, 7.5, 4
Progress: 79%

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_
if you do cardio after you weight train how would you go about doing the post workout shake?

On nights I do cardio after weights I just take my post workout shake 30 minutes or so after cardio. This is rare as 90 percent of the time I do cardio in the AM and wait an hour before eating in order to maximize fat burning. That way my cardio is out of the way and later on when I train with weights I can have my post workout shake RIGHT after.