Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#376   ^
Old Wed, Jan-22-03, 11:34

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 157/147.5/138 Female 5 ft 6 1/2 in
BF:?/26%/24%
Progress: 50%

Stingerita,

If you are following CAD, your son is not allowed to eat past the 1 hour limit for the RM. However, if CAD is the right plan for your son, he won't be hungry after the hour is up, and he won't be hungry an hour after he's done. Just make sure that he eats enough during the hour that is allotted for the RM.

You're right in thinking that snacks aren't allowed (except for one variation of the plan that lets you have 1 LC snack per day). No snacks means no SF gum, bars, jello, etc. Some people find even diet pop sets of cravings. But, from my own experience, after a day or two, you don't crave snacks. When I was on Atkins, I was constantly grazing on LC snacks - bars and nuts especially, and I hesitated to move to CAD because of the "no snack" rule. But, I decided to give it a shot, and much to my surprise, I had no cravings for snacks ... I've got LC choc bars in my desk drawer that have been here since October ... I just don't have any desire to eat them anymore.

Hope this helps.
Sponsored Links
  #377   ^
Old Wed, Jan-22-03, 11:46

Plan: Atkins/CAD??
Stats: 171/154/145 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 65%

Okay, so as far as my son is concerned, he can east "as much as he wants" during that one hour period? I'd like to confirm this before I relay the info to him. He's really open to Atkins and/or CAD -- I'm very fortunate that he's not fighting this -- he's willing to go full force, I just need to make sure I give him the correct information. As much as he wants of whatever he wants for 1 hour, right? I think he'll love the idea.

As for me, well, snacking has been a friend to me. I have coffee mid-morning (creamer only) and have 1/2 an Atkins chocolate bar around 3:00 in the afternoon -- I find that if I have the whole bar (even though they are quite tiny) that I get sleepy afterward -- almost as if I'm coming down off a "sugar high" but without the sugar. Are those snacks "not allowed"? Can you suggest any substitutes? Are fruits allowed as a snack?

Whatever info you can provide is greatly, greatly appreciated.
  #378   ^
Old Wed, Jan-22-03, 12:23

Plan: CAD from day 1
Stats: 327/304/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 14%
Cool I'll jump in too

Hi Stingerita,

If you make sure that your son's 2 low-carb meals are substantial, with a full serving of protein, some fat and some low-carb vegetables (from the CAD list only) then he should be fine without any snacks. Most people find that they neither need or crave snacks after a couple days on CAD. Also, it really helps to know that if you get a hankering for something, you only have to put it off until your RM, then you can have it.

Your son should eat as much as he needs to feel full at the RM. It should be as balanced as possible between protein, LC veggies and carb.. but then a lot of us don't balance it perfectly and it still works. He can have desserts and they don't have to be lowfat, low calorie things either. Let him have a portion of something he really likes. He will feel happy and satisfied on CAD. And if he eats enough, he sure won't be hungry again until morning.

Of course, keep in mind that your son is still growing and needs plenty of good food to build with.

I think it is wonderful that you are working with your son on this.. you will both be better off for it

Tracy
  #379   ^
Old Wed, Jan-22-03, 12:26

Plan: CAD from day 1
Stats: 327/304/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 14%
Thumbs down Oh, forgot to mention.....

Fruits are not allowed as a snack on CAD, the only time you can have fruit is at your RM.

Only one of the CAD meal plans allows for a snack and basically, it is half the amount of protein and/or LC vegetables you would have at a CM.
  #380   ^
Old Wed, Jan-22-03, 12:28

Plan: CAD + reg. fast
Stats: 214/153.5/135 Female 5'6"
BF:34.5/18/14
Progress: 77%

Stingerita,y
yes, your son may eat to his little heart's desire, just, plllllleeeeez remember the 1/3 rule!!!!!! It is important that the meal is balanced, the amount does not matter. 'Unfortunately', any LC snacks, as in bars, shakes, nuts, creamer(!!) are NOT allowed during the day on CAD. But as Slimmin' mentioned, after a day or two, you won't have any desire for them. For me also, it had become a habit to snack on LC foods while on Atkins. Remember, 2 complementary meals, 1 complementary snack, 1 RM! The Hellers say that any BUT the RM can be skipped during the day if there is no hunger for them, but be sure your son DOES eat the RM. One word of caution.....I experienced, especially at the beginning, that I would only continue to eat, just because I still had time left in my 60 mins. Really do try to listen to the body's signals. When full, not overstuffed, STOP! There is always tomorrow's RM for that last bit of chocolate or ice-cream... Shoot away with any more questions. It also helps us, those, who have done this for a little while longer, to refocus on the idea and 'rules' of this plan! Basically, all it teaches us are healthy eating habits and listening to what our bodies really need! Good luck in all!
  #381   ^
Old Wed, Jan-22-03, 12:30

Plan: CAD + reg. fast
Stats: 214/153.5/135 Female 5'6"
BF:34.5/18/14
Progress: 77%

go figure...
I guess my fingers don't type quite quickly enough, eh, Vel? Well, better double the info than none at all!
  #382   ^
Old Wed, Jan-22-03, 12:59

BF:

I appreciate the info from all of you. The more the merrier. So, if my son wants 2nds or 3rds, then he needs to make sure that there are equal portions of protein, veggies and carbs, right? Sounds easy enough. And dessert is anything he wants, as much as he wants? Or should I try to curtail that too? I don't want RM to be dessert binging time.

You mentioned 1 complimentary snack -- can you give me an example of this "snack"?

Being on Atkins my usual routine --

Normally, I like 2 eggs and 2 pieces of bacon for breakfast. I wait to get to the office to have my coffee with creamer. (Oh, the "creamer" -- actually half & half, I just call it creamer.) Should I switch to just regular milk? Lunch is usually chicken salad or a protein style burger with a diet soda.

I will do away with my afternoon snack, promise. And dinner is usually, some type of steak, chicken, or shimp (or a combination) with cheese and broccoli (or artichoke with butter) with diet soda. For an after dinner snack I have SF jello with heavy cream.

Changes needed to switch to CAD:

No snacking.
Make sure my dessert is during my 1 hour RM
and add Carbs to my dinner (RM).

Is that right?

Do you guys see anything wrong with Diet sodas? I try to stay away from the ones with Citric acid - they effect my weight loss.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

PS -- word of honesty -- I'm still stunned that CAD allows bread, real bread -- with butter -- wow.
  #383   ^
Old Wed, Jan-22-03, 19:23

Plan: LC food combining w/BFL
Stats: 210/178.5/145
BF:
Progress: 48%
Thumbs up WOW

I have just read through most of the info here, and I must say I am REALLY happy to have found this thread. I will be picking up the CAD/CALP book tonight! I have been afraid to even consider CAD/CALP because I know that I am such a carb addict. I felt there was no way I could limit myself to carbs for a RM in an hour and leave it at that. I too lost most of my weight early on using Atkins, from 4/02 - 10/02 and feel a change is in order. It's funny, I don't really crave sweets---I crave sushi and corn and beans, etc.
Is it hard finding the 1/3 balance for your RM? I assume it's spelled out in the book--just wondering if you all had problems in the beginning finding the balance. Thank you all for the info!
  #384   ^
Old Wed, Jan-22-03, 22:57

Plan: CAD
Stats: 233/176/155
BF:
Progress: 73%

Stingerita,

I was out of town all day, so didn't respond to your questions. But I was just reading all the responses you had, and all the good info you received, so most of them probably have already been answered.

One thing I wanted to stress (because I wasn't sure that you understood), is that your son's dessert should be counted as the carb in the meal. So he can't eat a bigger portion of dessert than he's eaten of meat or of low carb veggies. So he'll be eating 1/3 meat, 1/3 low carb veggies and 1/3 dessert. Since, I'm just starting back again on CAD, I hope I have this right. Correct me anyone, if I'm wrong. Also, my understanding is that if you want to eat a veggie that's higher in carbs than the ones listed (such as corn) during your RM, you must substitute that for some of your carbs. Which means for me, substituting corn for some of my dessert. And that's not about to happen most of the time.

I did real good today though. DH & I went out to eat and I ate a large steak and a salad. When it was time to eat my dessert, I took one bite and thought "Wow, this is way toooooo sweet!" So I set it aside and went back and got a second salad instead. I'm learning to actually crave the things that are good for me now, and leaving off the other junk. It's a wonderful feeling. I think I love this WOE.

Karen
  #385   ^
Old Thu, Jan-23-03, 15:43

BF:

Stingerita,

Just me again. I was just looking at the CA website, and they have a lot of info that you might be interested in reading. If you want to have your questions answered (especially about the RM), go to the FAQs section.

Their website is: www.carbohydrateaddicts.com

Karen
  #386   ^
Old Tue, Jan-28-03, 15:20

BF:

Thanx Karen. After a few days of my son trying CAD, he's realized he much more happy and satisfied with his meal choices. Only bummer is that I still feel lost with the details of CAD way of eating. I haven't had a chance to re-read my book (which I mentioned was out dated), but for now, my son has decided to basically have protein, veggies I eat on atkins and a dessert or heavy carb like pasta. If he doesn't gain, he'll stick to it.
  #387   ^
Old Tue, Jan-28-03, 15:47
Registered Member

Stats: 221/213/130
BF:
Progress: 9%
Question canyou suggest a good book for me?

Hello,
Your advice on this line, is amazing....
I am on the Atkins diet 2nd week, I am doing well but can't see never eating bread again...I have tried 4 loaves of low carb bread and they have all been horrid .....to the point that I am almost at quitting level (even though I am still losing) I just really miss certain foods.....to just have a bit, I feel would satisfy this...
I have been looking at the info on this site about CAD and CALP.
Can anyone suggest a good book to read on the subject? I am 29, have a tradmill, and just want 1 piece of bread a day??? Is that so wrong???
I understand that the CALP is geared at people aged 40 and over? Is this right? I haven't been able to find the book that outlines the plan, the balanced way.....
Please let me know???? I really think that I would like to switch....
mommy2nick
  #388   ^
Old Tue, Jan-28-03, 22:21

BF:

Hi Mommy2nick,

The Carbohydrate Addict's Diet (CAD) was written first and is the older version of the diet. It doesn't stress eating a salad before each meal, like The Carbohydrate Addict's Lifespan Program (CALP) does. In MHO, CAD is easier to follow than CALP. Plus, I really enjoyed reading CAD. It has a lot of interesting stories in it about other people's successes losing weight using this program. It's been a couple of years since I've read the book -someone borrowed my copy and never gave it back So I just ordered another copy from half.com. I paid only $.75 plus shipping for it, so it cost me less than $4.00 for one of the best diet books that's ever been written.

You would be allowed bread once a day , during your Reward Meal (RM), if you follow either CAD or CALP. I know exactly what you mean when you say how awful low carb bread is. I'm made 3 different kinds and they all reminded me of wheat bread, which I've never been very fond of anyway.

You should give CAD a try. It works great! I lost 70 lbs using it. After losing all that weight, I was at a plateau and became discouraged. So I went on Atkins with my husband for about a month and a half. While he lost 17 lbs., I gained 15 lbs, so I decided that I'd better go on induction for a few weeks. But after being on induction for 5 days and losing nothing, I decided to quit and go back to CAD. Even though I had lost 40 lbs. on Atkins 25 years ago, it just doesn't work for me anymore (I guess it's because I'm a true carbohydrate addict). Plus I hate counting carbs. That is something that you don't have to do on CAD/CALP. It's truly a diet that I can live with for the rest of my life

So get ready to spread the butter on that piece of bread, and enjoy losing weight the CAD way!

Karen
  #389   ^
Old Tue, Jan-28-03, 22:29
Registered Member

BF:
Thumbs up good for you!!

Wow that is great losing 70LBS!!!
You should be very happy with yourself!!
I really like what you say about the CAD book....I think that I will try it....it is better than just quitting all-together!!
I don't want to totally give up on bread for the rest of my life....(I made another loaf again tonight....it didn't rise.....so, I guess we have a new doorstop!! The thing must weigh 5 LBS!!!!)
Anyway, I really appreciate your comments!!
Have a wonderful evening, and best of luck to you!!!
mommy2nick
  #390   ^
Old Thu, Jan-30-03, 23:40
Registered Member

BF:
Smile A big thanks to Karen!!

Hi Karen,

I got the CAD book today!!! I started reading it, and couldn't put it down!! If this works for me, I think that I could stick to it for the rest of my life!!
I think the level of stress that I was feeling on Atkins is a testament to how addicted I am!! I was losing weight but the prospect of not having bread unless I was cheating was killing me, and I couldn't find a substitute!!!

Your advice on what book to buy is greatly appreciated!! Hopefully, I have found the fit that works for me!!
I am switching over as soon as I finish the book!!
Thanks again!!
mommy