Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jun-12-18, 09:25

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default Low carber to address British parliament following reversal of his Types 2 diabetes

Quote:
From Portsmouth News
12 June, 2018

A MAN who reversed his Type 2 Diabetes is pledging to change the way treatment of the disease is handled across the country.

Mark Hancock used a ‘low-carb, real food’ approach to his diet – one which a diabetes consultant at QA Hospital said is being discussed nationally. One week after starting the diet 47-year-old Mark said he was able to stop taking medication to reduce his blood sugar levels. He has been asked to speak in parliament about the way he manages his condition, with the aim of changing the national guidelines about the disease.

Mark, a dad-of-two, said: ‘Current advice is centred around eating starchy carbohydrates and sugar, but it should focus on healthy fats and real food, like meat and vegetables.

‘I was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes in 2010. I was 16 stone and didn’t eat particularly well, but I was still devastated when I was diagnosed.

Six years later I heard TV doctor Michael Mosley saying diabetics shouldn’t be basing meals on starchy carbohydrates, as that makes the condition worse and will result in the need for more medication.

’Both Type 1 and Type 2 Diabetes are associated with having higher-than-normal blood sugar levels. Type 2 is often diagnosed in people with excess body weight, and in those aged 30 and over. Type 1 is often diagnosed in childhood and isn’t associated with obesity.

Mark purchased Dr Mosley’s eight-week blood sugar diet recipe book in 2016, and now says he feels as fit as he did as a teenager. Mark added: ‘Dr Mosley promotes eating real foods and healthy fats found in yoghurt, oily fish and so on, and taking out bread, pasta, and potatoes from the diet, plus sugary products.

‘My blood sugar levels were high, and fell back into the normal range within one week.‘I want people with Type 2 Diabetes to know they don’t have to face a life of medication.

‘We need to change the advice GPs and nurses are giving out to patients, who can reverse the disease themselves, like I did, through diet.’ Mark will speak in parliament on June 27, along with two doctors and a nurse.

Partha Kar is a diabetes consultant at QA Hospital. He said: ‘Type 2 Diabetes is known as a progressive disease but more research shows in some cases it’s reversible. The low-carb, real food approach is an option, but not the panacea, as it needs to fit in with the individual.

‘People with diabetes can either reduce the amount of calories they have or the amount of carbs. With low-calorie diets there’s very good scientific evidence which shows a person with Type 2 Diabetes can be put into remission having been on one. The low-carb, real food approach looks promiseable – it’s being looked at on a national basis.’

https://www.portsmouth.co.uk/our-re...betes-1-8530189
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jun-12-18, 10:05

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
‘Type 2 Diabetes is known as a progressive disease but more research shows in some cases it’s reversible. The low-carb, real food approach is an option, but not the panacea, as it needs to fit in with the individual.

People with diabetes can either reduce the amount of calories they have or the amount of carbs. With low-calorie diets there’s very good scientific evidence which shows a person with Type 2 Diabetes can be put into remission having been on one. The low-carb, real food approach looks promiseable – it’s being looked at on a national basis.’

What they seem to always fail to note is that when they're put on a low cal diet, they're also reducing carbs significantly, since they're automatically cutting out huge swaths of dietary carbs when they're cutting fat cal intake, just by cutting out things such as cake, chips, cookies, and candies such as milk chocolates, etc. Carbs might be cut even further by people who see no point in eating breakfast toast or a roll with dinner, if they need to forgo the butter to reduce calorie intake, drop the deep fried foods (breaded/battered) and french fries to save cals, and switch to salad for lunch, rather than avoid mayo on their sandwich.

Will that tactic reduce carbs enough to go off all diabetes meds? That's the problem - depending on your eating preferences, you can still keep calories fairly low if you go very low fat to save calories, and eat not much of anything other than carbs, still ending up with far too many carbs for your body to handle. Depending on how advanced the diabetes is, you might be able to get away with that tactic though.

That's assuming that you can handle feeling like you're starving every day for the rest of your life, due to the severe lack of dietary fats, and don't mind being limited to egg whites, low fat fish, fat free chicken breasts, and fat free milk products for your protein.

All that sounds miserable to me - I'd much rather forgo the carbs than the fats, and have long lasting energy. But as Dr Kar said, it still needs to fit in with the individual.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jun-15-18, 12:22

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

With him, a LCHF practice Nurse will be honored and talk in front of Parliment, Dr David Unwin will be with her.
https://www.dietdoctor.com/lifeline...arb-nurse-story
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jun-15-18, 14:03

Plan: Banting
Stats: 302/187/187 Male 175cm
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calianna
What they seem to always fail to note is that when they're put on a low cal diet, they're also reducing carbs significantly, since they're automatically cutting out huge swaths of dietary carbs when they're cutting fat cal intake, just by cutting out things such as cake, chips, cookies, and candies such as milk chocolates, etc.

This is a good point, and it goes the other way as well. As many of us here - myself included - have experienced, eating LC really helps bring your appetite under control, to the point where you end up eating fewer calories anyway. It's really just about getting the focus right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calianna
But as Dr Kar said, it still needs to fit in with the individual.

Also agree. There could be issues of food availability in some areas, people may have specific allergies or intolerances, religious or cultural limitations and so on. LC doesn't have to be the solution for all, but it certainly appears as a leading option for those who really need it. In fact, its scalability is one of the things I like the most about this WOE: the bigger the change needed, the bigger the difference it can make.

It's so great that people are making it to parliament with discussions like this. I'd totally be up for it myself someday.