Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jun-19-07, 14:03

Plan: Dr. Jeffrey Brown
Stats: 193/176/125 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress:
Default What are the "list" of Carb withdrawal symptoms?

I need ! I started 4 weeks ago on a diet designed to kickstart my metobolism. I go to Dr. Brown (Yonge Street) who initially removes all carbs from your diet. He adds food weekly, one or two at a time. Most lose between 3-5 pounds weekly. I lost 17 in total, mostly on my belly which is awesome. I don't understand if things I experience are carb withdrawal or something else. I get cramps (charlie horses) in my legs and other places. I am really easily irritated, sometimes nauseous, and although I am very happy with my meals and enjoy them, I want something after each meal even though I am full. Dr. Brown has me on Micro K, a perscription potassium. He starts people with 2 AM and 2 PM then they may move to 3 & 3 if symptoms are still evident. I don't understand how the potassium fits in. Does anyone know why the high levels of potassium. I should mention that he insists on a full regiment of vitamins which he's very specific about, and physillium husks or metamusal.

So, Why the potassium?
What are the carb withdrawal symptoms?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jun-19-07, 14:40
Low-Carb Dharma

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 446.5/434.6/150 Female 5 feet 0 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%

Potassium is an incredibly important nutrient. It aides in the communication between the nerves and mucles, regulates blood pressure and also helps the body to flush fluids.

Potassium loss can play a role in things like edema, water retention, hypertension and other bad things.

Potassium is found in many foods, including artichokes, beans (lima, kidney and a few others), greens, nuts, parsnips, tomatoes, squash, yams.. and many more, but not all of them are acceptable on every low-carb diet.

As for carb withdrawl symptoms - usually for the first few days of a new low-carb diet, many people experience something like the "Atkins Flu". As the sugars leave your body and your body switches to burning fat for energy, you can feel tired, crampy, cranky, just generally blah.

That usually ends within 3-5 days, though it can take several weeks for some people.

Anyway, welcome to the board, this is a very cool place to hang out, nice to meet you!

Morgan
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jun-19-07, 15:40
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi.

For the record, please note that as stated in the forum rules, we can't really help you with private plans, as we don't have access to the particulars.

Off hand, I can't say I've heard of many LCers who still have those kind of symptoms 4 weeks in. I'd keep in close contact with the doctor, if you aren't already.

The only reason I can think of for taking so much potassium is that you're not getting it through diet. Most LCers eat plenty of potassium from meats, veggies, nuts, etc.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jun-29-07, 14:11

Plan: Ray Peat (not low-carb)
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 164cm
BF:
Progress: 51%
Default Leg Cramps Often Means Low Magnesium

I do hope that you are no longer having such trouble.

Leg cramps, in my experience, are often caused by low magnesium, which I used to suffer from quite often when I was a smoker (thank God I kicked that one over five years ago and have NEVER looked back with any regret!!!).

Basically, all the things that smokers often do - drink too much coffee, smoke, drink too much deplete their magnesium stores (the coffee and the alcohol make you pee, and basically, not to put too fine a point on it, you pee your magnesium away).

So, I would recommend finding a magnesium supplement - that has helped me in the past.

amanda wood
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jun-29-07, 14:27
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

My symptom is wanting to dive face first into a bowl of doritos!
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jul-01-07, 12:57

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 245/241/170 Female 5'4"
BF:40%/31%/29%
Progress: 5%

I would have to say:
Irritability, headaches, tired all of the time, no energy, feeling just plain yucky. I felt like I could throw up at any time,and had terrible cravings. Then all of a sudden, POW, huge amounts of energy, feeling fantastic!! No leg cramps unless my water intake is low.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jul-01-07, 14:32
Registered Member

Plan: Less than 10g carbs/day
Stats: 140/125/125 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

A list? Well, I'm not sure of the generalized ones, but I'll give you what I get the first few weeks when I go back on low-carb after eating a ton of cookies or something:

Extreme irritability
Inability to focus on anything but sweets
Having to eat a ton in order to feel full
fatigue
stomach cramps/indigestion
muscle cramps
random feverish sweating
sleeping too much or not being able to sleep
light headedness
depression

It's pretty much like withdrawal to any substance really. Your body freaks out because it's used to having it's little "high" from the sugar.