Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Feb-20-06, 22:08

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 325/308/200
BF:
Progress: 14%
Default tongue sores or swollen taste buds?

I have been back on Atkins for about 1 and 1/2 months. For the last month I have found that my mouth has been getting painful sores. At first I thought it was connected to a cold/sore throat. Now it is back again. I feel like the back of my tongue is extremely sensitive. When I swallow, and the back of my tongue naturally moves up to the roof of my mouth as is part of the swallowing action, I feel a lot of pain. Feeling along my tongue with my fingertip, I can feel a lot of protrusions, like many many swollen taste buds which are quite painful. At other points on my tongue, I also have swollen taste buds, but only one or two here and there. By far, the majority of them are at the very back of my tongue, as far back as I can feel and beyond even.

Anyone have any experience with something like this? I don't know what it causing it and I am wondering if it could have something to do with my diet? Any help would be appreciated as I am in quite a bit of pain.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Feb-20-06, 22:26

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

otenn,

I doubt that your problem is diet related, but it would be worth a trip to the doctor to see if you have a viral or baterial infection.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Feb-20-06, 22:28

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 256/179/160 Female 68 inches
BF:38.9/27.2/24.3
Progress: 80%

I've had this off and on and the only thing I could tie it to was eating a lot of tomatoes. In the summer, when they were fresh from the garden, I'd eat them like an apple.....and get the same symptoms. Milk always relieved it....right before bed slowly drink an ounce or so of milk....take a mouthful hold it in your mouth as long as you can before swallowing. See if that helps.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Feb-21-06, 09:44
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

I was going to suggest irritating foods, too. Besides tomatoes: chilis or hot sauce, pickles, vinegar, carbonated drinks.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Feb-21-06, 09:44
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I would say you're probably eating something you're sensitive to, or you have an infection of some sort.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Feb-21-06, 12:12

Stats: 151/133/134 Female 5'5.5
BF:Getting better!
Progress: 106%

Have you been eating a lot of acidic foods? Try swishing with some warm salt water 2x a day for a week or so.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Feb-21-06, 14:13

Plan: to take over de world
Stats: 184/153.8/153 Female 5'10"
BF:D
Progress: 97%

I'll just add my own personal experience here. Whenever I eat walnuts I get gum/mouth sores???
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Feb-21-06, 15:56

Plan: Mod Atkins
Stats: 170/162/110 Female 5 ft
BF:
Progress: 13%

I'll get them sometimes but I'm prone to mouth ulcers I think it's stress related. I would suggest laying off things that are acidic & take some L-Lysine & B vitamins.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Feb-21-06, 16:24

Stats: 239/223/154 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 19%

I don't know if this is what you have but people who grind their teeth while they are sleeping can end up biting their tonges which could give you inflamed taste buds. Next time you go to a dentist consider asking them about it.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Feb-21-06, 18:40

Stats: 162/137/135 Female 5'4”
BF:
Progress: 93%

Do you have white spots on your tongue or is it coated?
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Feb-21-06, 18:45
Give chance a chance

Plan: General LC maintenance
Stats: 152.6/115.6/115 Female 60 inches
BF:28%
Progress: 98%

If you are in as much pain as you describe, I'd suggest that you go to a dentist or doctor and not rely on forum members. We are not qualified to diagnose medical disorders.

If it turns out to be thrush, you need some sort of prescription meds.

Kay
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Feb-21-06, 19:04

Plan: Lots of milk+milk protein
Stats: 27.2/14.5/09.0 Male model, 6'1"
BF:lbs:237/200/212
Progress: 70%

Are you taking any kind of medication?

P.S. I'm definitely with Kay on seeing the doctor
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Feb-22-06, 05:32

Plan: M&E
Stats: 159/118.5/120 Female 5'4"
BF:Clueless
Progress: 104%

Have you eaten anything new? It might be an allergy...
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Feb-22-06, 08:05

Plan: Keto
Stats: 410/319/260 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 61%

I have had that problem a couple of times. One time it was a viral infection and the dr. gave me meds to cope with the pain until it ran it's course and the other times it seemed to be a deficiency in l-lysine. Now I try that first with this problem and canker sores and have great success. Since lc'ing, I haven't had a problem.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Feb-22-06, 13:42

Stats: 325/308/200
BF:
Progress: 14%

Thanks for your replies. I have no problem seeing a doctor, it is just that the timing of the first occurance of the problem seemed to coincide with when I restarted Atkins. It has been several years since my first attempt at Atkins, and I don't remember this happening to me then, but I just wasn't sure. I simply wanted to make sure this wasn't a typical problem related to something obvious.

I am not relying on the forum for medical advice. I am just asking if anyone else has a similar problem.

I am actually thinking that it just might be a part of this lingering cold/throat infection/virus sort of thing I have going on right now. While my food intake has changed with Atkins, I haven't ADDED any new foods that I previously avoided, so I don't think it is contact with some new flavour or group of foods (acidic or not) that is causing this problem. The focus of the swelling changed from the back of my tongue to the front of my tongue the day after my original post, so I was relieved at least, to find that it wasn't going to last forever!

Today is the most normal day I've had in a while. I can still feel a few sensitive areas, but overall, almost normal. I am hoping that as my cold/sore throat etc... clears up, so will my tongitis.

Thanks for all your ideas, and I am upping some supplements as well, in case that happens to be it.