Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#316   ^
Old Wed, Aug-30-06, 08:14
Registered Member

Plan: Anchell
Stats: 200.8/191.4/140 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 15%

It is water weight that happens first as with any kind of diet. Then it starts to work on the fat
Sponsored Links
  #317   ^
Old Wed, Aug-30-06, 09:16
Registered Member

Plan: Carbohydrate Addicts
Stats: 194/180/160 Male 71 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%

ok, i understand now, i just wanted to know. becuase like if i go to a party and eat a lot. i wanted to know the next day, i should do anchell to get the weight off.
thanks for the help. im having a bacon stuffed burger today, yum.
  #318   ^
Old Mon, Sep-11-06, 19:50

Plan: mixed
Stats: 200/200/180 Male 5'8"
BF:
Progress:

ubizmo,

On Paleofood, you mentioned that you intended to experiment with adding foods at the Anchell list. Did you ever do that?
  #319   ^
Old Fri, Oct-06-06, 14:01

Stats: 160/152/130 Female 64
BF:39/39/??
Progress: 27%

Hi there - I've been reading your posts with interest as a few years ago, I lost 20 lbs on the Steak Lover's Diet. As a 56-year old woman who is very resistant to losing weight, but who never gives up, I was (and still am!) totally amazed that it worked. I couldn't even loose weight on Atkins induction. I do take a bit of estrogen (estradiol) and an SSRI or two (Effexor and Wellbutrin)(pretty low dose) but I was taking those during the success on Steak Lover's.

In 1998 I started doing low carb, which worked for a while (10 lbs) and then it didn't "work" and I got frustrated and gained them back (to approx 160 lbs). When the SLD worked, I thought I had the trick, and that I could count on it, but, sadly, it too stopped working. I've tried it a couple of times since, but with no success. I am on it again, after my latest version (low calorie) has stopped working. I got the SLD diet from Dana Carpenter's newsletter, but I have both of Anchell's books to back me up.

I've been on it since Monday (4 days) I'd been dieting every-other week and lost almost 10 lbs, but it was starting to creep back up, so I am hoping SLD will once again work. The first few days were rough, but I think I'm acclimating and have felt better the last 2 days.

Just thought I'd chime in, and maybe start posting my food, as one of my temptations on this diet are gourmet potato chips! Maybe they don't cause a problem, but maybe they do..... of course I check the ingredients for additives and sugar.

I'll go fill out my profile - apparently I've been on this list since 2004 - my last affiliation was the Turtle's Club (slow losers) - although I'm not positive it was this exact forum that has the Turtle's Club.

Leslie
  #320   ^
Old Fri, Oct-06-06, 19:29

Plan: Neanderthin
Stats: 137/135/130 Female 5' 6"
BF:Don't know
Progress: 29%

I was wondering how you folks were doing on this WOE. I think I'll give it a try for a few weeks. I'm struggling and bouncing back and forth from one plan to another, and tried the intermittant fasting too but can't seem to settle. I like meat a lot, and fat too. I think I've not been eating enough carbs, and not enough fat in an effort to keep calories down. This might be a mistake. So starting tomorrow I'll try meat, fat and only a medium portion of the suggested "carbs." I'll keep track in my journal. If you "hear" yowls of anguish you'll know I gained!!! I have a feeling this diet works only for those who have quite a bit to lose. But I'll be a test case for those with only a few left to goal. I'd like to see some posts from those of you who've been doing Anchell for awhile...how's in going?
  #321   ^
Old Sun, Nov-19-06, 21:32

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 198/179/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 50%

We do Anchell/Pennington much of the time. My husband is down to 198, a 27 lb loss since May of this year. We're maintaining right now. I'm at 182.2 today. The flu helped both of us drop addictions to splenda, which we now are eschewing. We have coffee with whipping cream and agave nectar right now, just 1 or 2 cups in the morning. Most of our meals are Anchell/Pennington based.
  #322   ^
Old Wed, Nov-22-06, 23:40

BF:

I am at 180 lbs today. Not eating according to a purist version of Pennington/Anchell or low carb right at this moment, but within the guidelines in a Paleodiet sort of way right now. No additives and emphasis on meat, fruit, vegetables.
  #323   ^
Old Thu, Jan-04-07, 09:20

Plan: mumble
Stats: 273/230/200 Male 73 inches
BF:yup
Progress: 59%

It's the New Year, right?

So, after falling completely off the lowcarb (and any other diet concept) wagon, I've decided to make a fresh start with the Anchell plan. It has worked well for me in the past, and although it's probably unnecessarily restrictive, it has the benefit of being very very simple, which is what I need at the moment.
  #324   ^
Old Thu, Jan-04-07, 10:47

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubizmo
It's the New Year, right?

So, after falling completely off the lowcarb (and any other diet concept) wagon, I've decided to make a fresh start with the Anchell plan. It has worked well for me in the past, and although it's probably unnecessarily restrictive, it has the benefit of being very very simple, which is what I need at the moment.

Anchell is nothing if not simple. We have yet to pick a restrictive diet for 2007, but my husband and I both know how to navigate Pennington/Anchell to the 'T'. I just worry about how the meat industry defiles the meat with all their "improvements." Can't always get my hands on unadulterated organic or Kosher meat. Any thoughts about that?
  #325   ^
Old Thu, Jan-04-07, 16:31

Well, I don't always get organic meat. I don't get too alarmed about the "enhancements" though. For example, we hear about the "hormone laced" meat, especially from vegetarian web sites. One of the common hormones used for fattening is estrogen. But the amount of phytoestrogen in soy products is thousands of times greater--a fact that we don't hear about so often.

But when I can afford it, I get my meats from the Whole Foods market, which has a wonderful meat counter (I can remember when the vegetarians were angling to have no meats sold in Whole Foods at all). In particular they have a beautiful selection of fresh sausages made without preservatives. These are ideal for me, because I can cook up a batch and have some left over for reheating in the morning. They may not be super-strict Anchell foods, since the different kinds of sausages have some non-meat ingredients (I'm now cooking some pork pesto ones), but they don't use a lot of cereal fillers/extenders either.
  #326   ^
Old Fri, Jan-05-07, 14:46
Registered Member

BF:

Hi Everyone,

Yes it is a new year and a new me! I started back this past Tuesday and used the Anchell during the holidays to help with maintaining.
I started at 194
tomorrow is weight in so I will post again after weight in.

I love the Anchell since it is so simple and easy.
Breakfast tea a pear
lunch BBQ chicken no sauce just seasoning and a pear or grapes
Dinner Rib eye steak with french fries deep fried in coconut oil.

All the water and Tea I want and sometime a Vodka drink with water not juice.

Here is to making my goal and getting to where I want to BE!!

Have a good one!
  #327   ^
Old Sat, Jan-06-07, 10:54

Well, I've lost 3 lbs since Tuesday, which is respectable. The trouble with this plan, for me, has always been its....arbitrariness, for lack of a better word. The absence of any good reason for the selection of non-meat foods is the sort of thing that gets to me after a while. But the main thing is that I've started doing *something*. If I feel moved to try something else, I will. It's encouraging to get some results anyway.
  #328   ^
Old Sat, Jan-06-07, 11:46

BF:

Loss of close to a pound a day (today being Saturday am)--how cool is that?

The arbitrariness of the fruits and vegetable choices has not really bothered us--we got into the habit of buying bananas and grapefruit, not apples and oranges, even when not on plan. We must be *brainwashed.* Seriously, we do avoid apples and oranges and kiwis, etc., just in case, and feel 'good' about the short list he recommends. Plus it keeps shopping a no-brainer.

My recent problem is chicken and steak and grapefruit shreds getting stuck around crowns and irritating the gum there. Chicken stew or beef stew don't produce such problems. This makes even soft steaks like ribeye problematic.

The sausages are certainly a quick and easy meal--but pesto and cilantro and cheeses and apples added into these sausages are 'not allowed'.

Yet you lost 3 pounds!

Nancy, I can't work myself up to drink vodka or whiskey--so I better develop a fondness for teas. I drink more coffee than is necessary.
  #329   ^
Old Sat, Jan-06-07, 11:56

For me the cognitive aspect is important over the long haul. I like to know why I'm doing what I'm doing. But for the moment I'll settle for just plain weight loss.
  #330   ^
Old Mon, Jan-08-07, 09:54
Registered Member

BF:

I am back and I at at 191.4. I lost 2.6 pounds since 12/29.
that included 4 cheat days and 4 anchell days.
What I also found out is that you need to include cheat to keep the body moving. . the body gets used to the everyday of the same thing and starts to slow down. this way you keep the body guessing!!!

I look forward to my cheats days