Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#256   ^
Old Sat, Jul-15-06, 15:28
Registered Member

Plan: Anchell
Stats: 200.8/191.4/140 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 15%

Bawdy,

Don't worry about the why and why not cuz that will only drive you crazy. Just still to it and do it! As for your shake, the protein powder may have sugar in it, anything tros, dextros and such is sugar.

You hang in there.

Santa Barb,

Glad to see you and your hubby are doing great. Once the weight starts coming off and the body starts to feel better, that is what keeps me going.

Have a great week-end
Nancy

Sponsored Links
  #257   ^
Old Sat, Jul-15-06, 19:06

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

The protein powder is just whey protein. No added sugar or sweeteners. Just 1 carb per serving.

Here's what I had today:

Breakfast: small steak, butter, banana
Lunch: small steak, butter, grapes
Dinner: larger steak, butter, sweet potato (half)

For dinner the steak was marinated. Tasty.
  #258   ^
Old Sun, Jul-16-06, 11:37
Registered Member

BF:

Sounds good, What did you marinate your steak with? A1 steak sauce and such have sugar. I use seasoning and lemon and white wine vinager.

Nancy
  #259   ^
Old Sun, Jul-16-06, 12:26

BF:

I have the most wonderful home-made marinade:

Bawdy's Marinade

2 tsp cumin
2 tsp coriander
3 tsp chopped garlic
4 Tbsp soy sauce (I use the low-sodium kind)
3 Tbsp olive oil

Enough for about 2 pounds of meat. You wouldn't believe how good this is. I've used it for shish-kebobs (the original recipe), steak, and pork. I've yet to try it on chicken -- probably thighs/drumsticks would be the best, to stand up to the flavor of the marinade.
  #260   ^
Old Mon, Jul-17-06, 09:20
Registered Member

BF:

Wow that sounds good. Make sure that there is no sugar in your soy sauce. But if you find you are still losing weight using that soy sauce then go for it!!

Our bodies decid what they are going to do and we have to figure out what works and what does not work.

Have fun!

Nancy
  #261   ^
Old Mon, Jul-17-06, 23:06

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 198/179/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Hi, Bawdy and Nancy--

I'm copying your recipe Bawdy. Thanks for sharing it!

Example of what Nancy mentioned: My husband and I find that heavy whipping cream in our coffee with sweet' n' low saccharin does not currently interfere with weight loss, so we have been using it recently (drinking only 1-2 cups of coffee a day) and enjoying an old favorite flavor.

We didn't dare try it till several months had passed to avoid mind games or addictions. We also drink huge batches of plain iced tea (sometimes with fresh lemon added in) which we make ourselves.

After several months we both developed diarrhea, which we find inexplicable. Any experience with that, Nancy? (Not a pretty subject.)

Today I was 183.4

Husband gained a bit. (On weekend he ate unlimited quantities of Tri tip since at work he won a prize of a free baseball game and all the tri tip you can eat. I think the tri tip had that special tri tip meat seasoning with salt and probably MSG--so very likely explains weight gain for him). Because he's now around 205, I have to put away all his size 40 waisted pants as they are flapping in the breeze a la Charlie Chaplin or 'sagging' LA gangsta style. We are currently reviewing pants that have not been worn in 5 or more years.

Husband at 205 lbs.
  #262   ^
Old Tue, Jul-18-06, 08:35
Registered Member

BF:

So far as in the bathroom Everything has been fine there. I find that eating the limited fruits and potatoes and rice helps keep the system regular. I drink lots of tea and water with lemon also.

We have salt all the time. It makes the meat taste sweeter. The tri tip your hubby ate must have had some sugar in the seasoning.

The best part is when you see that you clothes are just about falling off and then you are in style with the kids today.

Here to keep on losing the weight!!!

Nancy
  #263   ^
Old Tue, Jul-18-06, 09:14

BF:

Wife: 182 lbs today

This morning's 1 lb+ drop was a real surprise to me! Could the killer steamy tropical heat have helped?

Speaking of wearing kid's clothes, for my birthday two weeks' ago I bought myself a glitzy Roxy t shirt emblazoned with very shiny gold on the bosom and wore it to my birthday party dinner. My daughter buys Roxy clothes--but me? Never would have done that before this way of eating--too embarrassed about being a chubby chump. This is helping me to shed my self consciousness though I still have miles to go and many more pounds of meat to eat yet!

Salt,huh? Maybe that explains why some of Anchell's recipes seem so contradictory with many including salt, though he and Pennington say clearly "no salt, no sugar". I may be salt sensitive because I used to have high blood pressure before low carbing and eating steak--I'll have to run an experiment on me and my husband to check!

Thanks for the clues.

Last edited by santabarb : Tue, Jul-18-06 at 09:22.
  #264   ^
Old Wed, Jul-19-06, 08:23
Registered Member

BF:

Anchell new revised book that came out in 1998 is the Steak Lover's diet and in this one he does say salt. Humid weather can make you gain. Just keep going and it will go down!!

Nancy
  #265   ^
Old Wed, Jul-19-06, 16:35

BF:

I wouldn't be surprised. My rings are always tighter in hot humid weather.

Just wanted to tell you guys that I just tried my marinade on boneless chicken thighs. VERY tasty. These had the skin on, and I don't like chicken skin unless it's roasted crisp, which this was not. I'll make it again, but this time get boneless SKINLESS thighs. There's plenty of fat in the dark meat, and you do add additional oil. By the way, I put the marinated pieces in a 13 x 9 pan, and then poured the marinade juices overtop. I baked it at 350 for 30 minutes, and it was done to a T.

Try it sometime!
  #266   ^
Old Thu, Jul-20-06, 08:47
Registered Member

BF:

sounds good.
  #267   ^
Old Fri, Jul-21-06, 19:09

BF:

I'm back up to 184 ('sniff'). It's freaking hot here--more than 100 degrees! Ribeye and half a grapefruit tonight--trying to keep it cool!
  #268   ^
Old Sun, Jul-23-06, 09:24

BF:

Weirdly enough, by eating just two steaks yesterday (with blueberries and grapefruit), I lost 2 lbs, so I'm down to 182, which weight I had only arrived at for one day during this whole weight-loss saga before popping back up to 184.

One thing I am learning now that I am old is that you need to keep weight gain on a very short leash!
  #269   ^
Old Sun, Jul-23-06, 10:03

BF:

It could also have been temporary water weight gain from the heat. My fingers have been so swollen in this heat, and today it's much less humid and my rings fit better.

Congrats, though, on 182 again!!!
  #270   ^
Old Sun, Jul-23-06, 18:59

BF:

You're right, Bawd--
Fingers do swell, cells do cry out for water.

Thanks for commenting positively on my piddly weight improvement. By the end of the year, if I have not lost my mind in the assiduous process, I should have lost 25 lbs at this slothy rate of about 2 lbs a month.