Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Advanced/High Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jul-23-10, 07:32
Registered Member

Plan: My own
Stats: 273/150/130 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress: 86%
Default Breaking a Stall w/ Interval Training

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello party low carb people in the place to be!

So I have been a dedicated low carb lifestyler for years. Along with a consistent exercise regimen I lost over 100lbs and have been able to maintain it for over 8 years.

Decided a few months ago that I want to lose 20-30 more pounds.

Became more disciplined about my eating and eliminated all stall-foods (cheese, nuts, bacon, sausage), took supplements, got enough sleep, plenty of water, lifted weights and did my usual hour of cardio at the same pace.

However, it was as if my body and the scale wouldn't budge.

A trainer at my gym recommended interval training on the treadmill. My program is building myself up to speed walk arms swinging as fast as I can for 5 minutes, resting for 1-2 minutes, then repeating the 5 minute blasts. I do this for about an hour. (Running would be better, but my knees just can't do it.)

More than just noticing serious shrinkage in my saddlebags, my clothes fit much better and the numbers on the scale have been dropping like the stock market!

I know many here on this board and elsewhere in the low-carb world recommend more weight lifting and less cardio...but there is no one size fits all approach...and you gotta find what works best for you.

The quick results produced by interval training keeps me motivated and also makes me feel stronger mentally.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jul-23-10, 07:48
Induction ≠ Atkins

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 270/164/180 Female 69 inches
BF:28%
Progress: 118%

I think that if you are going to do cardio, HIIT is the way to go. I try and alternate my weight training with HIIT, and it's worked really well. I haven't lose a lot as far as pounds go, but I've lost more inches that I had previously.

I've just started doing the Couch To 5k program, which in a way, is kind of like HIIT in the early weeks. You'll run for 90 seconds, walk briskly for 90, run for 3 minutes, walk for 3 minutes and so on. As you get further in, you run for long stretches with no walking, but right now, I use this as my HIIT instead of doing it at the gym. I really like it
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jul-23-10, 15:16

Plan: LC
Stats: 170/129.8/125 Female 5'1.5
BF:
Progress: 89%

I agree for me intervals seem to melt fat much more readily than long sessions of steady state cardio. I started out using cardio coach on my stationary bike and eliptical and have since moved on to couch to 5 K just finishing up wk 3 and the inches are melting off. I am beginning to wonder if I even want to finish the program as written because the goal is to run 30 min or so without stopping. I think I may finish it just to see if I can do it but ultimately I think interval training may be the type of cardio I use from now on. I agree much friendlier on my knees too. I also do weights 2-3x a week.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Aug-17-10, 05:05

Plan: paleo adaptation
Stats: 248/215/200 Male 70
BF:
Progress: 69%

Me too- cardio- not jogging- but sprinting or playing basketball, racket ball kind of cardio is what seems to melt those last few pounds.

I have been at a stall since March. Just recently I started taking the KO Heavybag classes at my Krav Maga gym- so I do 1 hour of krav (which is cardio based alone) and 1 hour of KO heavybag on Monday and Tuesday and just 1 hour of krav class on wednesday. Fridays I do either sprints (including some hill sprints) with a slower jog covering about 2.5 miles.
I have not lost any weight, but I am noticing fat loss for sure.

Now that there is some change, I want to take it to the next level and loose my last 30 lbs - so I would be interested in hearing about the "Stall Foods" like sausage- I eat turkey sausage- is that a stall food?
Well basically- can you tell me the kinds of food I can eat that will help me reach my goals?
Keep in mind that I have Metabolic Syndrome so I can not have carbby foods. Thanks! and Congratulations on reaching and maintaining your goals!
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jan-17-11, 17:05

Plan: Primal Atkins
Stats: 191.4/187/140 Female 68in
BF:More than I need
Progress: 9%

Bringing this thread back to life...Everyone's mention of Couch to 5k caught my attention. I first did it when I was pregnant and loved it. Then I stopped running after my son was born and am about to go back to the trusty Couch to 5k. My Naturopath, who is a big fan of interval training over steady state cardio said that I should do the C25k, but once I can run the 5k, start adding sprints into the run. So basically go back to week one and stay at those intervals, but instead of jogging and walking go from a light job to a run or sprint. It sounds pretty challenging to me but I just think about the kind of shape I'll be in if I can jog/run instead of jog walk.

Right now I'm getting over shin splints (tried to up my speed on the treadmill too fast in the second week of c25k) So I'm doing a 9 week program on my EA Sports Active on the Wii. The cardio in that program is basically all interval based and I think it has a lot to do with my consistent loss so far. By the time I'm done my shins will be much stronger and I'll be ready to add c25k back in to the mix. I can't wait.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, May-13-11, 20:50

Plan: South Beach-esque
Stats: 194/159/140 Female 5'3"
BF:34% / 28% / 20%
Progress: 65%

You know, I love steady state walking for a long time but after tweaking my diet and supplements and finding new energy, I find that at the gym on the treadmill if I've got good tunes, now that this energy has finally appeared (!) I naturally want to alternate between the walking and some energetic sprints, and my stamina is great. For me for awhile I'm going to try this and keep sprinting in mind but not try to do things on exactly this minute or that ... just my .02 to say I am enjoying the freeform approach.