Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Dec-26-00, 13:09

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 172/159/120 Female 4' 11
BF:
Progress: 25%
Angry

I thought I'd try to make Shepherd's Loaf in the breadmaker we just won. How do you spell D I S A S T E R?

(1) The container that holds the ingredients is not made to hold 3 1/3 cups of dry ingredients that Shepherd's Loaf calls for.

(2) I suppose I should have dumped all the dry ingredients in a bowl first and mixed it instead of adding them in order to the machine container. Because the stupid machine did not mix it enough and I had to stop the stupid machine and mix it manually.

(3) After it mixed (for the 2nd. time) the stupid "select bread type" red button came on and stayed on ... for over an hour! I had to stop the machine, unplug it and clean bread dough from under the container and all around the elements. Not an easy job!

(4) Right now the dough is in a regular loaf pan (hopefully rising) in the oven at 125 degrees F. Sheesh! I am not a happy camper.

Anyone have any ideas what I did wrong?

ciao,
NJ
Norma June (Barrie, ON)
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jan-14-01, 19:03

Plan:
Stats: 120/110/105
BF:
Progress:

I tried this same bread in my bread machine and got Heavy Heavy bread. Well, I cannot spread any insight into what went wrong. I'm just hoping someone else with more experience will post here to help us both out!
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jan-14-01, 20:18
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi NJ and Teena,

The problem is that Wa'ils very unusual but extremely fabulous bread was designed to be made by hand and not in a machine. Because the bread is a batter that is left to rise and not a dough that is kneaded, the action of the bread machine knocks all of the air out of the loaf and you end up with a brick.

Have you tried Gabi's World Famous Bread? It has instructions for making it in a bread machine as well as by hand.

http://www.lowcarbluxury.com/recipe...pe-bread21.html

Karen
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Feb-20-01, 20:42

Plan:
Stats: 301/270/180
BF:
Progress:
Smile Bread Machine Bread

I have tried quite a few bread recipes in my bread machine, but the very very best one I have found is Keto Bread Machine Bread. I order it on-line from Lowcarbconnoisseur.com. I love the french loaf one. It is the closest thing to real bread you will ever taste. I bought a food slicer and it works great! And it is only about 2 carbs per slice. I also use it for french toast as I have found a great syrup too called Keto brand. Toast and butter (yum!!!)

Ginnie/Iowa