Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Vegetarian Low Carbers
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Aug-28-06, 14:40

Plan: atkins for now
Stats: 280/209.4/160 Female 5'10.5
BF:
Progress: 59%
Default cheese, tofu and eggs

hey !
okay..to make this short and sweet
i have been eating only vegatables and doing a meal replacement shake 3 times a day...my carb intake has been EXTREME
so, do you think to throw my body out of whack and stir things up to kick start another weight loss...here is what im thinking...
eggs
low to no carb tofu
cheese...low to no carb
and thats about it...
for just 3-5 days...
what you think?
im thinking its a go!
then re add my veggies and instead of carbloading...its just jerking my metabolism around...
thoughts?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Aug-28-06, 16:44

Plan: protein power-GO diet
Stats: 224/179/166 Male 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 78%

Disrupting the metabolism is a great way to shake things up and break weight loss stalls...Are the meal replacement shakes too carby?
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Aug-29-06, 10:58

BF:

yes. in my opinion...they have 21 grams per serving.!
i know, that i can only get my body to go into ketosis if i maintain about 10 carbs a day..
i know that is extreme...but i also know what it takes for my body!!! haha
so, whatcha think?
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Aug-29-06, 16:29

BF:

There are a bunch of reason why weight loss stalls (like for me every few weeks and stays stuck for a while). So yeah, maybe the eggs tofu cheese thing will work, but it's also possible you're not eating enough calories.
Also, can you make your own shakes?
Soy milk, whey protein powder, splenda, a few blueberries, ice..
it's still going to reduce the carbs to about 1 net carb per ounce..
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Aug-29-06, 21:16

BF:

thanks..thats a great idea. i am a shake person! love my magic bullet!!!
and do you know that i am already in freakin ketosis according to my ketosticks!!! i love the way i can manipulate my body!!!
wow!
i have had 3 boiled eggs for bfast and then some egg salad for lunch, then some scrambled eggs with cheese then the left over egg salad just a bit ago!
i know its a lot of eggs. but im going to do what a girl has to do!!!
and calories, honey..i eat A LOT...portion control is not in my vocabulary!!!
i am using dukes mayo....lots lots lots cals!
and i have not been exceeding probably 1200-1300 a day prior to today..so this is a HUGE amount of cals for me.
lets just pray it works and continues when i pick back up my veggies...
i sure cant do this for long...maybe 5 days max
doesnt exsecise help like crazy when your in ketosis?
i think i remember that...
any ideas or advice for me?
how are you doing?
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Aug-30-06, 10:45

BF:

Exercise helps me in so many ways. I tore my rotator cuff several months ago so that gave me an exuse not to exercise( even though I could have exercised other parts of my body), and atev too much low carb ice cream, so I gained some weight but it's slowly coming off. I never worry about ketones, I lose without measuring, as long as I'm eating less than about 50 net carbs a day and exercising.
Plus i'm more of a pescetarian than a vegetarian. I eat a fair amount of soy but also fish. I've heard that soy sometimes interferes with weight loss due to it's effect on the thyroid, but if you're a vegetarian, what are you gonna do?
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Aug-30-06, 18:04

BF:

im sick of eggs, cheese and mayo!!!
2 days is ENOUGH!!!
so, tomorrow..im gonna add boca product...thoughts?
im sorry about your injury...i hate to hear that...
i love to excercise...took a spin class this am and after i was 154.3!!! then..i ate...hahahaha
i did think of getting whey shake and adding blueberries to it for a little am juice...
or atleast after i did weights..which I AM going to start doing more often!!!! im so bad...i choose cardio EVERY day.
yeah, about the soy...i know for me it really messed with my TOM. my whole cycle wrapped around before i knew what was going on...and its actually the estrogen in the soy of tofu and everything else, soy, that gets women, especially, of course, off kiltered. so, i do tofu or what have you, pretty lightly.
the perfect food for me is THE EGG!
lol
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Aug-30-06, 18:07

BF:

oh, and way to go on your loss! thats awesome!
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Aug-31-06, 20:43

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 216/166/150 Female 60 inches
BF:45%/33.5%/28%
Progress: 76%

Quote:
Originally Posted by edybean
and do you know that i am already in freakin ketosis according to my ketosticks!!! i love the way i can manipulate my body!!!
wow!

You know, you're really close to your goal (which maybe needs to be adjusted) and you seem to be spending a lot of energy on 'tricking' your body into losing. Hard as this is to hear, your body MAY need a rest right now from continuing weight loss.

Maybe, you might try focusing on whether you're feeling healthy and strong, and stop focusing on those last 8 lbs. and playing 'catch me' with your metabolism. You can only trick your body for so long before it starts paying you back...and payback can be a real PITA.

YMMV>
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Sep-01-06, 19:25

BF:

thank you for your opinion.
as nice as i can say this, i have my goals...and they are mine.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Sep-01-06, 20:07

Quote:
thank you for your opinion.
as nice as i can say this, i have my goals...and they are mine.

Edybean, we all have our own goals, and that's a good thing. My point, however, was that our bodies often haven't read our mental goal book, and they have a nasty way of hyper-reacting when we attempt to continue to 'trick' them into our goals. The reality of metabolism is that there ARE ups and downs, and cycles, and while you can try to trick your body into and out of cycles, your body often wins that competition in the long run, and the result is that you're forced to spend a lot of time healing your metabolism after your efforts to bypass its voice in your goal-setting. But don't take my word for it--you may want to do a little reading at www.nutritionandmetabolism.com for some published reports about manipulating your body's response to weight loss.

You wrote in an earlier post:
> im sick of eggs, cheese and mayo!!! 2 days is ENOUGH!!!
so, tomorrow..im gonna add boca product...thoughts? <
followed by:
> yeah, about the soy...i know for me it really messed with my TOM. my whole cycle wrapped around before i knew what was going on...and its actually the estrogen in the soy of tofu and everything else, soy, that gets women, especially, of course, off kiltered. so, i do tofu or what have you, pretty lightly. the perfect food for me is THE EGG! <

First, there's nothing wrong with including Boca products in your meals...but since most Boca products include some level of soy protein isolate, and you seem to think that soy affects your menstrual cycle, you might feel better adding something like Quorn, which is made of mycoprotein and depending on the product, some egg white.

Since you brought up soy..."the estrogen in the soy of tofu and everything else, soy, that gets women, especially, of course, off kiltered" is very much a YMMV kind of thing. Some people are sensitive to soy; others aren't. Tofu *is* soy, so 'the soy of tofu' is redundant. And tofu contains phytoestrogens, not estrogen. You might want to check out this link from MedlinePlus which describes the differences between phytoestrogens and isoflavones and estrogen, among other things.
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/...atient-soy.html

I've eaten around 25g of soy protein 3-6 days per week for the last 25 years or so...and prior to chemotherapy, I was certainly neither off course nor off kilter re: my cycles. Now chemo--THAT can mess up a cycle--but it has everything to do with toxicity and steroids. The soy protein shake I used to make every day was one of the things that helped my chemo hot flashes tremendously. Prior to chemo my soy intake probably kept any perimenopause symptoms at bay, although I was 48--and my sister started having hot flashes at 40!

> i love to excercise...took a spin class this am and after i was 154.3!!! then..i ate...hahahaha i did think of getting whey shake and adding blueberries to it for a little am juice... or atleast after i did weights..which I AM going to start doing more often!!!! im so bad...i choose cardio EVERY day. <

Well, frankly, if you REALLY want to make a difference in your body and in your metabolism, you might focus on resistance training at least as often or more often than you choose cardio. Resistance training is going to have a more lasting impact on your metabolism than cardio because it builds muscle...muscle will use nutrients differently, and far more efficiently.
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Sep-02-06, 12:27

BF:

wow........
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Sep-02-06, 12:30

BF:

there is such a difference in "giving a little advice" and belittling someone like a "know it all"
i appreciate the time it took for you to reply to "my goals"
now, i feel like i need to reevaluate what i ask "for advice" without being patronized!
but, hey...maybe thats just me!
and im sure you will say it is!!!
have a good day and good luck with all your weight loss goals...
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Sep-03-06, 17:39

Quote:
there is such a difference in "giving a little advice" and belittling someone like a "know it all"
i appreciate the time it took for you to reply to "my goals"
now, i feel like i need to reevaluate what i ask "for advice" without being patronized!

Well...you did ask for "thoughts," Edy...
This would be a pretty dull and non-informative place if every thought expressed harmonized with all others, right or wrong.

Quote:
have a good day and good luck with all your weight loss goals...

Actually, these days weight loss isn't even in the top 5 of my goals. Although many low carbers focus only on weight loss, I low carb these days to continue to improve my health. I hit my weight loss goals two years ago, and although my weight has fluctuated for other than dietary reasons, I low carb because more and more research demonstrates that controlling carb intake is one of the best dietary approaches for recovering cancer patients.
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Sep-03-06, 22:06
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 213/194.6/165 Female 5' 7''
BF:
Progress: 38%

If you'd like another option for a good breakfast shake you could try this one from George Stella's show. It has tofu, strawberries and cream and is absolutely delicious. 5 net grams per serving.