Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Vegetarian Low Carbers
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Sep-06-05, 10:18

Plan: Home tailored
Stats: 153/149/137 Female 5ft6in
BF:
Progress: 25%
Question Tofu favourites

Hi all,

I am expanding my menu and thought about tofu. I LOVE tofu, especially silken tofua and I would like to know some of all your favourite recipes using the gorgeous bean curd. I hadn't thought of it sinceI started LC-ing (funny or what), but I remembered silken tofu today and that was it- I had to post!!!!!!

I found a recipe using tofu as a repalcement for pasta/macaroni, but was wondering what else do you do with it, oh and any tips on preparation (e.g. draining, slicing- I can't slice it very well atall) I would also appreciate immensely.

Thank you in advance to anyone who contributes
Gem
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Sep-06-05, 17:26
Registered Member

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 250/242/125 Female 5 foot 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 6%

I use tofu for a million things. I make it into a mock cream cheese and make a cheese cake.

I also use it in stir frys. Sauted tofu with some veggies and spices makes a really good breakfast scramble.

I also cut it into chunks, marinate it in lime juice, cilantro, cumin, Salt and pepper and a bit of hot sauce and then cook it in a covered frying pan with some oil for about 10 mins. really tasty.

miso soup of course

saute it with some vegetables and put it in a wrap.

tofu shakes

there's a million and one things to do with tofu and numerous cookbooks out there that you can take a look at with numerous ideas.

welcome to the tofu eating world.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Sep-06-05, 18:22

Plan: atkins
Stats: 205/190/140 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 23%
Default tofu question

I just made the mock mac & cheese with it and thought it was great! It's a bit higher in calories than I want to be eating right now though, but I will definitely being having it again!!! My question is...how long is Tofu good for? I opened the package and made mac & cheese on Saturday. I've heard that tofu is sensitive and dont want to get sick if it's only good to store for a day or two. I need the answer more for future reference than anything.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Sep-06-05, 21:36
Registered Member

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 250/242/125 Female 5 foot 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 6%

a day or two is fine. make sure though that you store it in water and change the water every other day.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Sep-07-05, 11:42

BF:

Shoulda specified...(sorry)...How long will it last once it's been cooked...like in the mock mac&cheese? Thanks again.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Sep-22-05, 18:33

Plan: gluten free atkins maint.
Stats: 250/155/180 Male 6 foot 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 136%

ALL of the tofu recipes in karens book the low carb gourmet are yummy. Even if you hate tofu her recipes are great.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Sep-25-05, 04:13

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 216/166/150 Female 60 inches
BF:45%/33.5%/28%
Progress: 76%

Zajack, once cooked, the dish itself under correct storage conditions (good refrigeration, etc.) should be fine for 3-4 days.

I actually prefer extra firm organic tofu to 'silken' tofu; extra firm tofu has a grainier texture that works better for me for sauteing, frying, slicing, baking, roasting and marinating.

When it's too hot to cook, my hands-down favorite thing to do with tofu is press it for 20 min. or so to remove some of the moisture. Then mash it up as you would mash hard-boiled eggs, combine it with shredded/finely chopped veggies (red onion, carrot, radish, green beans, scallions) and herbs, and mix with mayonnaise/mustard in a 1:1 ratio. Once you've made this salad, you can use it to stuff tomatoes or peppers and eat it cold, use it for dipping things like celery or pappadums, or roll it up in swiss chard or cabbage leaves and microwave it with lemon or lime butter, topped with toasted pine nuts.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Sep-25-05, 08:20

BF:

Thanks Gaelen...been waiting awhile for the answer to that question....LOL
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Sep-28-05, 12:05

Plan: atkins (my own kind)
Stats: 180/172/115 Female 5'1
BF:
Progress: 12%

There is also something like TOFU which is really organic bean curd that i use. Search google for TOKWA and TOKWA recipes. Tofu here (Manila) can be bought at the markets or you can make it yourself.
Try the tokwa or tofu that you fry then sautee it w LOTS of garlic onions and tomatoes.. add the mushrooms. Some even add goat cheese or rocetta cheese to it and it is the best meal u can ever have!
Do the search for tokwa/tofu recipes and a LOT of it will come out! Thanks.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Sep-30-05, 15:09

Plan: atkins (my own kind)
Stats: 180/172/115 Female 5'1
BF:
Progress: 12%

You'll Need
3 pcs tokwa (soybean curd), fried then quartered
1/2 k pork or beef or chicken (lean), cut into chunks
1/4 cup Vinegar
3 Tbsp soy sauce
6 cloves garlic, crushed
1/4 tsp peppercorn
1 pc laurel leaf (bay leaf)
1 cup water

MARINADE
1-1/2 Tbsp soy sauce
1/4 tsp pepper

Here's How

1 MARINATE tokwa. Set aside.

2 COMBINE the remaining ingredients, except water. Let stand for 30 minutes.

3 ADD water, then simmer until meat is tender. Add tokwa. Simmer for another 5 minutes.