Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Advanced/High Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Mar-27-04, 13:12

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 232/162/162 Male 69 inches
BF:30%/13%/11%
Progress: 100%
Question fat burning cyclist book?

I have read several posts (here and elsewhere) about an author who advocates a low carb lifestyle and cycling training where you train your body to become a primarily fat burning mechanizm. I am very interested in this subject and want to find this author. Does anyone know who they are?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Mar-30-04, 14:13

Plan: Atkins 72 Version
Stats: 175.5/123.5/115 Female 5'3 I grew an Inch!
BF:??/21%/19-20%
Progress: 86%

Never heard of them... I'd be interested too
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Mar-31-04, 00:34

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 263/219/150 Female 5'6"
BF:not done yet
Progress: 39%

I am a cyclist and I can't find anything on this but please flag me if anyone else comes up with it?

Thanks
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Apr-06-04, 18:19

Plan: South Beach-ish
Stats: 272/261/190 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 13%

Hmm, I couldn't find anything specifically related to cycling and low-carbing either. I do know, however, that an author named Lyle McDonald is/was a cyclist and has written 2 books related to low-carb and exercise (don't know how much detail he gives to the cycling). They are: "The Ketogenic Diet" (1998) and "The Ultimate Diet 2.0" (2003). Both books can be found at amazon.com.

A good, recent interview with him can also be found here: http://www.ketogenics.com/interview.asp

Don't know if this helps...
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Apr-06-04, 18:25

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 232/162/162 Male 69 inches
BF:30%/13%/11%
Progress: 100%

Thanks CarbsBeGon!, I'll be sure to check out Lyle McDonald! And the LOW CARB CYCLING CLUB sounds great! The closest thing that I've found to a cyclist's fat burning book so far is "Slow Burn" by Stu Mittleman, a famous endurance runner/walker. Slow Burn is a great book for low carber's interested in fitness!
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Apr-03-12, 07:42

Plan: Keto IF
Stats: 275/242.8/192 Male 72
BF:

May take a look at "Slow Burn" again as I just skimmed through it before.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Apr-08-12, 10:15
Registered Member

Plan: varies - experimenting...
Stats: 248/194/185 Male 6 ft. 2 inches
BF:

The contrast between the "slow burn" and HIIT interval training is really interesting.
From personal experience, I know that I've lost a LOT of fat while doing a lot of low intensity walking and atkins for about 18 months. However, my muscles atrophied a lot and I lost strength. When I went out on basketball court, I was airballing freethrows.
OTOH - I just can't do high intensity training without carbs. I get exhausted fast and takes forever to recover. Plus, I'm just much weaker.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Apr-08-12, 13:07

Plan: Keto IF
Stats: 275/242.8/192 Male 72
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fibersnap
The contrast between the "slow burn" and HIIT interval training is really interesting.
From personal experience, I know that I've lost a LOT of fat while doing a lot of low intensity walking and atkins for about 18 months. However, my muscles atrophied a lot and I lost strength. When I went out on basketball court, I was airballing freethrows.
OTOH - I just can't do high intensity training without carbs. I get exhausted fast and takes forever to recover. Plus, I'm just much weaker.

I too find that my performance ceiling is lower without, no experience with the long term effect on muscle atrophy as I never stayed real low that long. I requested the book but feel its not really going to be helpful. I expiremented with some HIIT and am planning on getting back to it soon. Now dealing with a foot problem 'PF' which will stop my persuit of running for the time being so maybe the HIIT on the bike will be easier on the foot.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Apr-10-12, 12:34
Registered Member

Plan: varies - experimenting...
Stats: 248/194/185 Male 6 ft. 2 inches
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by joel381
I too find that my performance ceiling is lower without, no experience with the long term effect on muscle atrophy as I never stayed real low that long. I requested the book but feel its not really going to be helpful. I expiremented with some HIIT and am planning on getting back to it soon. Now dealing with a foot problem 'PF' which will stop my persuit of running for the time being so maybe the HIIT on the bike will be easier on the foot.

I should say that the muscle atrophy may have been caused by lack exercise, rather than super low-carb per se.

I really like using the bike for HIIT while low-carbing. What works well is having stationary bike in accessible location. I hop on for a few minutes at a time, and go very hard and get my heart rate way up. It feels really good, and doesn't drain me like going on a real bike ride.
In general, I feel better if I get even a brief cardio workout like that everyday. Great stress reliever.