Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > TOF's (The Over Fifty's)
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Mar-18-04, 14:44
aka Celestine

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 247/185/160 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 71%
Default I'm 47 and stopped menstruating about 2 months into this woe, about a year ago.

Is it possible that I am just "done" with periods that quickly and easily at 47 years old? Has this happened to anyone else? I am posting this here because I believe this age group (mine and older) will have some experience with this. Thanks for any info you might be able to provide!

Liz
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Mar-25-04, 11:50

Stats: 191/177/148 Female 5ft. 6.5 inches
BF:40.40%/38.10/?
Progress: 33%

My periods just stopped suddenly when I was 45 yr. Never have had one again.The only symptom I have is hot flashes. I don't think your WOE has anything to do with it, as I wasn't eating this way when mind stopped. Just a coincidence. You are lucky if you don't have hot flashes all night, tho.I have waited for 6 years for other symptoms, I can't believe it can be this easy.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Mar-25-04, 11:57
Give chance a chance

Plan: General LC maintenance
Stats: 152.6/115.6/115 Female 60 inches
BF:28%
Progress: 98%

I stopped menstruating suddenly at age 40. (wasn't doing lc at the time) I thought I was pregnant, and the urine pregnancy test was in fact positive. But a subsequent ultrasound showed no sign of a fetus so they did a blood test which showed the first test to be a false positive one.

I never had any other symptoms although since then I find find I'm less tolerant of both hot and cold temperatures. Cold when it's merely cool out, hot when it's merely warm.

So the main effect of menopause for me has been a drastic increase in our gas and electric bill!

Kay
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Mar-25-04, 12:45
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?

I stopped menstruating two years ago at age 44 (before I started low carbing). My doctor measured my hormones and said the profile was consistent with menopause.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Mar-25-04, 16:04
aka Celestine

Stats: 247/185/160 Female 67 inches
BF:

Thank you all for replying! Those are exactly the answers I was hoping to hear. I thought that maybe it was too "easy" to just have your periods stop suddenly like that so something must be wrong. Have heard so many stories about people having a terrible time with menopause, just assumed I would too.

Thanks again

Liz
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Mar-25-04, 18:42
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?

I never had any symptoms; I just stopped menstruating. To this day, I haven't had a hot flash or a night sweat or anything like that. That's why I made the doctor measure my hormones; I was concerned that I might have some awful disease.

While I think being menopausal has made it more difficult for me to lose weight than it would be otherwise, the fact that I don't get PMS mood swings has made it easier for me to stick to low carbing. I used to get really bad PMS and would crave carbs during that time of month.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Mar-28-04, 15:19

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

You know what? When I began menstruating, I was taught that menopause comes at about the age of 45. Now that I have reached that age ( 47 ) and I am still menstruating, I have learned that it can go on until the mid-fifties. How did you ladies become so lucky?
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jan-04-05, 03:33

Plan: low carb made easy
Stats: 164/164/140 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress:
Smile Hot Sweats

Hi There, I'm only new to this forum so please excuse me if I am butting in but I was reading the last postings and noticed one Sunnywey, about your night sweats, I too have had horrendous sweats.Not just night but all day 24/7 At one stage I was getting them every 5 minutes and they lasted for 10,let me tell you I was not a happy camper at the time.I put up with that for about 12 months and then the health food shop put me onto Sage tablets, WOW what a miracle, After the first bottle the sweats had decreased by half and I thought I'd died and gone to heaven,and was thinking I could easily live with that,Then after the second bottle...NOTHING, they completly went I couldn't beleive it. I stayed on them for 6 months and went off them for one month,low and behold they came back,slowly at first then bad. So I'm currently half way thru a new bottle and the sweats have just about gone again, I now intend buying shares in the Sage company( just kidding) I don't want them back, Sorry This is so long winded but I hope you try them they sure made a difference to me. Good luck. Eljay
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jan-04-05, 09:35

Stats: 199/177/135 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 34%

Liz, I wish I had just stopped with no hot flashes or sweats. I'll be 52 in August and I've been having terrible hot flashes and sweats off and on for three years. I haven't had a period for 4 months now and I'm praying I never have another one. I guess sone people are just lucky like you. Eljay, thanks for the tip on sage tablets. I'm going to the health store today and pick up a bottle. I hope everyone has a great day.
Brenda