Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jul-09-15, 12:07

Plan: Atkins> LCHF >Carnivore
Stats: 200/183.5/150 Female 5'8" inches
BF:
Progress: 33%
Default Ideas for Acorn Squash?

Hello all! Growing Acorn squash in my garden, before I started LCHF of course. Looks like I will have some ready in a few days. I know it is a bit higher on the carb count, but does anyone have any good recipes for it? I may give some away, but I would like to try one at least. Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jul-09-15, 13:21
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch

You can roast it as a side dish or make it into a soup.

Remember, Google in your friend for stuff like this.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jul-09-15, 13:40
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I like squash added to Thai curry. Just a simple oven roasting, in the half-shell, is always great. Then tons of butter or olive oil. Fancy it up with truffle salt or truffle oil.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jul-14-15, 05:35
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

I like squash (or pumpkin) soup - many different ways of doing it. I usually do curry.

...though it isn't really soup season, is it? How the heck are your squash ready already? LOL. I'm growing butternut for the first time and a female flower hasn't even opened up yet. You must have had a much warmer spring in PA than we did in the Toronto area. I couldn't get my warm weather veggies in the ground until after Memorial Day.

Back to recipe ideas, though... another thing I like to do with squash is cook it and mash it. You can add butter, cream cheese, seasonings... you pretty much can't go wrong; it's delicious. To cut the carb count, mix in cauliflower.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jul-14-15, 09:50

Plan: Atkins> LCHF >Carnivore
Stats: 200/183.5/150 Female 5'8" inches
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristine
I like squash (or pumpkin) soup - many different ways of doing it. I usually do curry.

...though it isn't really soup season, is it? How the heck are your squash ready already? LOL. I'm growing butternut for the first time and a female flower hasn't even opened up yet. You must have had a much warmer spring in PA than we did in the Toronto area. I couldn't get my warm weather veggies in the ground until after Memorial Day.

Back to recipe ideas, though... another thing I like to do with squash is cook it and mash it. You can add butter, cream cheese, seasonings... you pretty much can't go wrong; it's delicious. To cut the carb count, mix in cauliflower.

Thanks! That's a great way to cut the carb count, I never would have thought of that! It has been lovely and warm here. I put my tomatoes in the ground mid-April, with the help of Wall-O-Waters. They are so worth the money and I will definitely use them every year. My Acorn squash developed, but I may have picked them too early, they are small. But I did that so I. Could cut down on portion size and encourage the plant to produce more.

My chickens. "Planted" a (left a seed in the dirt) pumpkin next to my patio and its growing like crazy. I didn't think there would be enough sun, but it has a female flower already. I hope I get a pumpkin, even if it's a small one! Yay a for summer and fresh veggies!
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jul-14-15, 16:18
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

I frequent a gardening forum, and I asked them about my zucchini - the first two fruits are undersized, and I wondered if I had to pick them the keep the plant producing. They said no, squash will just go crazy no matter what. For winter squash, the rule of thumb that I've seen is to pick them once the rind has hardened a bit, enough that you can't prick it with your fingernail.

I do love me some mashed squashiflower. Same deal with sweet potato, if it's too carby for you and you're looking for a way to bump up a smaller serving.