Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Advanced/High Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Oct-04-12, 13:40

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 160/130/116 Female 61 inches - 5ft 1"
BF:32.8/19/15
Progress: 68%
Default Advice needed for newbie to lifting & building

Hi,
I have hit my weight loss target & I have been going to the gym 6 days a week for the last year doing a variety of classes & personal training.
I have this week started doing weights to build muscle. I am female but want biceps, 6 pack ab's etc.
My trainer tells me I should be eating 6 small meals a day. However he is from the low fat carb brigade.
I would have protein shake & flax oil for breakfast, meat & salad for lunch or omelette & similar for my evening meal or steak. I have thrown in a banana for a morning snack & nuts or boiled eggs for an afternoon snack.
But I could really do with some advice if this is the right sort of thing to do.
Other builders / lifters eat a lot of shakes and carbs which I'm not really wanting to do. They also are low fat everything, but obviously I'm a high fat girl.
Any input would be gratefully received.

Thanks everyone
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Oct-04-12, 14:00

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

I would use the advice from Mark Sisson on how to build strength and muscle while eating Primal.

Interestingly, he's a low carb guy, and also says to eat more often than you would on maintenance.

He also says to rest a day or two between sessions - so if you want to hit the gym every day, maybe you have days where you just stretch.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/gain.../#axzz28MV4aQ8s
Quote:
Eat Lots (I Mean Lots) of Plants and Animals

No one would ever call the Primal Blueprint a protein-sparing plan, but you’re going to have to eat even more than before. Stuff yourself. I always say that body composition is 80% diet, and that goes for putting on mass as well as losing fat. You need to provide plenty of protein for all those hormones to synthesize, after all.

Never let your protein intake go lower than 1g/lb of body weight when you are aiming to add long-term muscle. It’s the building block of muscle, and your body is going to be starving for it.
Eat plenty of saturated and monounsaturated fat. Fat blunts insulin secretion while increasing testosterone production. Insulin may be useful for stuffing your muscles full of glycogen, but that’s not what you’re going for… right?
Dietary fat, in conjunction with all the GH you’ll be producing, also spares muscle wasting.
You may have heard of the popular GOMAD method – Gallon of Milk a Day for easy mass-building. It undoubtedly works, but a gallon of milk isn’t exactly Primal and I can’t recommend it. Instead of milk, why not a dozen eggs a day? ADEAD? If you can manage it, eating them on top of your regularly scheduled meals is a great source of affordable protein, fat, and vitamins (Vitamin A in particular may have pro-anabolic effects).
Eat often. If you’re going for pure size and strength, fasted workouts and skipped PWO meals may not be the ticket. You’ll burn more fat with the extra GH secretion and existing muscle will be spared, but you may be missing the chance at prime protein synthesis when you fast. A PWO meal of protein and fat will still blunt the insulin secretion and provide fuel for your muscles.
Increase caloric intake. You’re going to be expending so much energy on the lifts (and you’ll continue to burn through it even on rest days) while eating clean, Primal foods (and keeping insulin low as ever) that fat accumulation shouldn’t be an issue at all. Eat!
On those days when you do expend a ton of energy – maybe on your metcon or sprint day – having a Primal-friendly starch, like squash or sweet potato, is a decent way to replenish depleted glycogen stores.
Eat a big piece of fatty meat every single day. Steak, whole chicken, lamb leg, organs, whatever. Just eat a solid piece of animal flesh for a powerful protein infusion on a daily basis.
A hardgainer is often someone who doesn’t eat enough. Sure, genes play a role, but you can ultimately have a significant say in how those genes rebuild you. To a point. Eat more and lift harder to grab the reins.

Read more: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/gain.../#ixzz28MWMfaPJ
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Oct-04-12, 14:21

Thanks Seejay
That's just what I wanted to hear, meat & fat!
Will go have a read up now.

Thanks again
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Oct-04-12, 16:37

BF:

Good luck!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Oct-04-12, 17:43

Plan: Depends on the Day
Stats: 221/169.6/145 Female 5' 10"
BF:

SeeJay, I've been lady, I want big guns too!
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Oct-04-12, 17:49

BF:

Maybe we should have a Strong LC Woman group.

I have been off of training too - but as my energy comes back, so do my daydreams of wanna be like Shannon Hartnett, LOLOL. What can I say. If I am built short and muscle-y, why not go with it.

http://www.shannonhartnett.com/photo_gallery.htm
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Oct-04-12, 18:00

BF:

I was going to ask you who Shannon Hartnett was, but you answered that!

I'm tall and muscley, I do not want to look like her, way to big. I prefer the farm boy look vs. the body builder look, know what I meen? I'm going to get back into lifting tomorrow!
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Oct-05-12, 07:08
Looking 4 Onederland

Plan: Atkins '72, IF
Stats: 284.5/200/170 Female 5' 5"
BF:Why yes it is! ;)
Progress: 74%

Do you Kindle? It's free today.

How to Build Muscle
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Oct-05-12, 10:34

BF:

Ha sexym2, there are big guns and then there are big guns. I like the medium look too.

Have you ever seen that picture of female athletes from Sports Illustrated? Pick a body type! many to choose from. What's up with the oiled shiny look, though, ???

#10   ^
Old Fri, Oct-05-12, 19:02

BF:

I liked the 3rd gal and the 7th gal from the left. They both looked strong but not overly bulky. The 2nd was nice, but I am 5'10" tall, I do not have that build

I did a serious weight training work out today. I feel great, confadent and strong!
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Oct-06-12, 10:57

BF:

I think I am built like the 5th from the left. We shall see when all the padding is gone!
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Oct-06-12, 12:03

I'm aiming for Jennifer, 5th from the left. Although right now every muscle in my body is screaming that it hates me! I squatted 45kg Friday & did biceps & deadlifts today. Hopefully by Monday my muscles will have forgiven me!!