Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Advanced/High Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Mar-08-11, 07:39

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 164/147/140 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress:
Default diet not working anymore!

I'll try to be brief. I have been a happy lowcarber since 1999. Went from 164 to 138 (size 6); walked three miles every day and never had to worry.

Have hit age 55 and have gained 10 lbs in the last two years. NO deviation in lifestyle. Decided to eat less and lost the 10 lbs, but was 'starving'.

Realized this was not the way to go and decided to step up the exercise instead. Am now walking/jogging 4 miles per day ... trying to work up to a full jog.

Found out that if I don't ingest some carbs before the jog, it makes the difference between being able to do it [the jog] and not being able to do it. I am taking in about 30 carbs before the workout and am doing so much better with the workout, but am still gaining weight.

After being so comfortable for so many years, this is SCARY!!! Any advice out there?

Karen
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Mar-08-11, 10:40

Plan: Less meat, more veg LC
Stats: 252/217/180 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 49%

Some people say to use fat instead of carbs before a workout. Maybe some tea with coconut oil in it?

You may want to talk to your doc about menopause and hormones as estrogen decrease can increase weight.

Your carb tolerance level may have changed too, you may not be able to eat as many carbs and maintain weight loss.
F
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Mar-08-11, 11:15

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

What about strength training? Maybe loss of LBM has changed your need for fuel. Walking doesn't prevent the loss of LBM except in the muscles needed for walking.

How much protein do you eat? I found that after menopause I needed less. The extra protein was acting like extra carbs as to weight gain, without adding much to the energy. Feh.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Mar-08-11, 12:08
Give A Damn

Plan: Primal Blueprint
Stats: 293/234.4/175 Female 5' 5 3/4"
BF:
Progress: 50%

I'll second the strength training. You may be losing muscle mass and thus gaining weight because theres not enough muscle to burn the fat. Something like that anyway....
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Mar-09-11, 06:31

BF:
Progress:

Thanks to all of you for your response. Of course, you're telling me what I don't want to hear, but it has the ring of truth to it.

It's just that when you're already doing more than 90% of the rest of America, the thought that it's still not enough is discouraging. (Whaaa)

Is anyone else taking in the bulk of their carbs prior to their workout, and if so how is that working out for you? Is anyone taking in as much as 30 like I am? Is that too much?

Karen
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Mar-09-11, 07:24

Plan: low carb
Stats: 173/135.8/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 87%

I'm 55 and have had a hysterectomy. I do not take HRT, or any other medications on a regular basis. I have been weight training, off and on for about 25 years. I do hardly any cardio. I try to eat around 1600 cals. a day but...I usually overeat. Anyway...all that to say I also suggest weight training. The carbs I eat are in the form of yogurt or an apple ever now and then...but I probably stay around the 30 carbs. a day mark. I hate keeping up with the macros. I'm not where I want to be, but I'm not unhappy with where I am.

I hope you find the answers that get you back to where you want to be.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Mar-09-11, 09:35
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Hiya! Welcome to the ranks of the 50+ women who find it impossible to lose on low carb, even with exercise. You might want to look into thyroid issues, they're very common in middle-aged women.

What I'm doing, and it is working for me now, is the hcg diet. There's a hcg challenge thread in the challenge area, if you want to get an idea about it. It is a pretty drastic diet but you alternate between it and regular low carb dieting so it's only a few weeks on, then some time off... during which you won't regain if you follow the protocol.

Anyway, I've lost 15 pounds on my first go-round and I've been maintaining now for a month or so.

But check out your thyroid first.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Mar-09-11, 10:44

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

Karen my situation is so different from yours it might not apply - I still have a ton to lose.

However, that said, I don't time carbs around a workout. Instead, I have a steady stream all day and then any time is "go time."

I do 12-15 g net carb from starchy veg at each of 3 meals, plus an afternoon snack with 12-15 g carb from fruit or veg. Waiting at least 3 hours between eating.

That works out to 50-60 g net carbs a day and boy do I love it. It feels a thousand times better than my old program which was, more protein and less than 40 g net carbs a day (Protein Power).

I think this is friendlier to an active metabolism - my thyroid is no longer sluggish and my energy is good all the time. I'm even sleeping less and still rested when I wake.

Course I'm also taking vitamin D. did you have that checked? Are you a big sunblock user or shade lover (like I was)?
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Mar-09-11, 11:05

Plan: Very low carb
Stats: 192.2/160/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Make an appointment with an endocrinologist. Maybe it's loss of estrogen or maybe it's hypothyroidism.

I would worry about a strong insulin response from taking in 30 grams of carbohydrates all at once, just so you can exercise.

I would look to hormones as the culprit of your recent weight gain if you didn't change your diet. (Have you entered your foods on FitDay.com to make sure you aren't a victim of carb-creep?)

Best of luck and please keep us posted!
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Mar-12-11, 08:29

Stats: 190/170/155 Male 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 57%

Not much new to add - I think Beez nailed it...

With 12 years of experience you are not a novice - so something is going on here.

Get a routine physical exam with lab - include hormone levels - go to a smart doctor!

4 mile jog each and every day should be enough to maintain if not even lose some weight. Strength training is a good idea for everyone, regardless of age and weight. Log your exercise for 1 month.

Log ALL your food for 1 month - measure carefully.

I think if you do these 3 things (medical exam, log exercise, log food) you will have your answer.

Good Luck!
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Mar-12-11, 09:14

Stats: 190/170/155 Male 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 57%

As for eating before exercise - it seems to be an area of controversy. I personally believe that exercising 1st thing in the morning on an empty stomach is most effective for weight loss.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Mar-13-11, 14:16

BF:
Progress:

Okay guys, I'm off to the docs and the gym. (The gym is running a special this month.) Like I said, I'm not happy about this, but giving up is not an option.

Yes Mike, I've been doing this for 12 years and I want to let everyone know that my blood workups have been stellar and I've just been told I have the bones of a 38 year old woman. DO NOT, repeat DO NOT let a doctor or anyone else dissuade you from this lifestyle.

I even had a cardiologist tell me the lab screwed up my workup because "nobody has an HDL THAT high". Yeah right.

Thanks so much for all the input.

Karen