Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Advanced/High Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Nov-17-10, 12:17

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 195/182.4/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 36%
Default Cardio exercise question

I work out every morning, 45 min on the eliptical w/average HR of 140 and then do some strength training. Lately (I've been on Atkins since 11/1) I have days where my heart rate goes way high while I'm doing my normal cardio activity that usually gets me to 140. Is this a problem? Does anyone else experience this?

What I am doing when that occurs is lowering intensity and also doing a "mini" which I define as 25 minutes instead of 45 on the eliptical.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Nov-17-10, 13:09

Plan: glycemic cycling
Stats: 155/142.8/125 Female 63"in
BF:35%/30.2%/20%
Progress: 41%

Hello Robin
Ty for the advice on the sleepiness. In regards to your question, first I would reccommend you not do strength training and cardio in the same session. .., but if you must, do your strength training first and only about 20-25min of cardio afterwards at a low speed. Why ?? because you want to keep the muscle you are building (which we know burns more fat than cardio alone)not lose it. Secondly, until you have upped your carb load you probaly only wanna do 20-30min of cardio anyway. That's assuming you are in Induction phase.
Thirdly, you wanna make sure you are hydrated before working out, and if possible sip on the Emergen-C drinks while doing your cardio. Are you working out on an empty stomach?
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Nov-18-10, 18:31

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 195/182.4/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 36%

Thanks for the good advice. I am in my first week of OWL - adding salad veggies. Nearly the same as induction. I am really trying hard to do this by the book so I can get maximum benefits. I can't wait to broaden my food choices, but I am determined.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Nov-18-10, 20:05

oh btw good weight loss for your day 18 too. I try to think of all the favorite meals that I usually make for us and just add a raw and or steamed/grilled veggie to go with it. Of course minus the sugar & additives. I never knew I could make meatloaf w/o the bread crumbs, or pizza w/o the crust. I was really afraid and scared and felt like I would be missing out when I initially was introduced to LC eating, until I opened my eyes and realized I was making more out of the menu planning than what is really was. We still eat pot roast, japanese (w/o msg), pizza,chili dogs(w/o beans for now) etc..
Do you cook seperate meals for yourself only or for the family as a whole?
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Nov-19-10, 09:38

Plan: PaNu (lacto-paleo) & VLC
Stats: 267/235.2/195 Male 71 inches
BF:40/35/20
Progress: 44%

Since you've been doing Atkins for 2-3 weeks, lets look at what's going on physiologically. You lowered carb intake dramatically and probably increased fat intake somewhat. Your glycogen in your liver and muscles has been depleted somewhat, trying to make up for the lack of carbs. (Which is why you lose a lot of water at first. It can take 6 weeks to several months to become "fat adapted". Your cells literally have to generate more fat burning mitochondria to replace all the glucose burning ones that predominated before. Once you are fat-adapted, your glycogen stores will replenish and you will run fine (maybe even better) on fat.

In the meantime, you may have a shortage of glycogen for your workouts. If your blood sugar drops as a result, adrenaline and norepinephrine are dumped into circulation as an emergency signal to boost blood sugar (this will make your heart race).

Two options, go easy until you are fat adapted (you'll know when). Add a few carbs pre or post workout on training days to keep up your glycogen (blasphemy, I know). It's actually really healthy to have more fat burning mitochondria AND they will help you lose the fat and keep it off - which is what we all want (right?).

Some people find that as they get closer to goal, they need to add some carbs on high intensity training days. Sweet potato or yams are ideal. I'm a long way from goal, but I can't hardly wait for an excuse to eat some yams!
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Nov-19-10, 09:52

great info chessnut,
had to learn a little of that the hard way, by visiting the ER from passing out while working out a few times last time I was eating LC.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jan-04-11, 18:05

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 286/218/200 Male 74"
BF:
Progress:
Default Same here...

I've seen this too... one day for no good reason, my heart rate goes sky high even though I'm not doing anything different.

I've worked through it and it no longer seems to happen so my best guess is that it's something we experience in the early stages but it goes away as we become more conditioned.

I've spoken to some friends that are really in shape and they say that this never happens to them. It takes pretty much a consisten effort to get them to a high heart rate. They never seem to see abnormal spikes.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Jan-09-11, 21:38

Plan: TNT
Stats: 159/154/140 Male 68
BF:
Progress:

remember on low carb diets, hydration and salt consumption should increase during long duration of cardio exercise. Salt Stick is a good product along with S Caps
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jan-10-11, 07:52

Plan: Atkins Pre-Maintenance
Stats: 215/134.8/130 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 94%

I make sure to drink NuuN before & after working out. Also, I find that an avacado or some pork rinds before an intense cardio workout help me from feeling faint, heart racing, etc.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jan-11-11, 09:21

BF:
Progress:

nunn is a good choice. I am an ultra runner and every weekend I run somewhere around 20 to 30 miles on Saturday and 10 to 24 miles on Sunday. I consume S-Caps to every 10 to 14 ounces of water consumed.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Jan-11-11, 10:31

Plan: Atkins Pre-Maintenance
Stats: 215/134.8/130 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 94%

Quote:
Originally Posted by gforce7
nunn is a good choice. I am an ultra runner and every weekend I run somewhere around 20 to 30 miles on Saturday and 10 to 24 miles on Sunday. I consume S-Caps to every 10 to 14 ounces of water consumed.

What are those?

I think it was you who posted some alternative to GU in my thread...and I looked at them and was a bit afraid of Royal Jelly, and Wasp stuff because I have a fair amount of allergies....
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Jan-12-11, 18:42

BF:
Progress:

S! Caps are 100% electrolytes. Each S Cap provides 341mg per capsule.

As far as GU replacement, I do use GU/or Shot Blocks on any run over 3 hours. You have to. Its funny you say replacement because I do use Vespa but I dont think I have ever mentioned it on this site.

Lots of ultra runners that eat low carb do use Vespa. Vespa allows you to consume less GU(any gel) during long runs once you have become fat adapted on a low carb diet. So, instead of consuming a gel every 1/2 hour, Vespa allows you to go much longer before having to consume one to carry on. But, Vespa is not a replacement for GU.

But, training on low carb and running over 18hours a week has taught me that my salt consumption and hydration must be spot on.
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Jan-16-11, 19:15

Plan: Primal Atkins
Stats: 191.4/187/140 Female 68in
BF:More than I need
Progress: 9%

Not sure if this helps, but in my first 10 days I was noticing that my heart rate was getting very high and I was having problems with dizziness especially during my workouts. Plenty of energy, just dizzy with a racing heart.

I get plenty of salt, magnesium and calcium but (after doing some reading on this forum) I added in 200mg of potassium. Huge difference. I work out 5 days a week and on those days I have 200mg of potassium 3x a day, one of those right before my workout. The 2 days I don't workout I stick to two doses. It really made a difference in the way I feel.

I was nervous about it b/c I've always heard to be careful with supplementing potassium, but 200mg is similar to what I saw in some post-workout drinks so I feel pretty good about it.