Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Advanced/High Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Mar-29-10, 04:30

Plan: General/Paleo
Stats: 233/220/190 Male 183
BF:
Progress: 30%
Default What to eat drink whilst long distance running

I am doing a marathon soon and wanted to get some advice on nutrition during the race.

I went for a 11 mile run on Saturday and managed to complete it in 1:45 with only 500ml of water. I was starting to feel pretty tired by then and was wondering what I should be eating/drinking when I get to that stage of the Marathon. On Saturday I had a banana before I set off.

I am not worried about compromising my LC diet for the preparation or race as I have pretty strong will power and will get back to strict LC afterwards.

I am running for my friends 4 year old son who has cancer so my only interest is completing the race so I raise my sponsorship money. I don't care what time I do it in!

Thanks for your help.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Mar-31-10, 10:16

Plan: IF/Keto/80:20
Stats: 162/150/142 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 60%

That's pretty good going, well done! I'm training for my second marathon in May and like you really don't worry about what I eat when running as it all gets burnt up. I've upped my carbs substantially around training sessions (wish I didn't have to but I do -some can do this on LC) and generally LC at other times. You need to find what you can stomach as some people get sick but I use isotonic sports gels with no problem except getting fed up with the sweet taste. I've also eaten nougat, jelly babies and Kendal Mintcake (I'm in the UK) - basically anything with easily-accessible glucose syrup, and also boiled potatoes. Unless you are an exception you will need fuel on your marathon, little and often, and the longer you take the more you will need. You will have to start taking it before you need it - about twice an hour at least and after a good breakfast, as apparently it is impossible to absorb as much as you will be using so you will always be in defecit. Also, don't forget salts or unless you're very lucky you'll be hit by cramp in the last few miles. I would suggest you look for articles on Runners World or similar sites for advice on fuelling strategies. Having said all that, my favourite run this year was a 25-mile cross-country (fell) event, which I randomly fuelled by bacon sandwiches, chocolate cakes and tea at the many organised stops, so what do I know! It took a long time which is probably why I could stomach the more complicated food, generally the faster you are, the simpler it needs to be. Hope you have a successful marathon and that the little lad does OK.

Last edited by Dalesbred : Wed, Mar-31-10 at 10:34.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Mar-31-10, 18:40

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

Loren Cordain has an excellent book called Paleo for Athletes - it' very practical.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Apr-19-10, 10:19

BF:

Managed to complete the marathon yesterday! I succumber to a few carbs the day before mainly to placate family members and had a few gels on the way round. The first 19 miles felt really good and then I hit the wall in a big way. Managed to get it together to run the last mile and finished in 5:20. Most importantly I raised over £1000 for charity. Celebrated with a chinese takeaway last night but I didn't find it that appealing. Back to LC today. I don't think I'll do another. My legs are aching so much today even after an ice bath yesterday!
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Apr-19-10, 21:47

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djd2009
Managed to complete the marathon yesterday! I succumber to a few carbs the day before mainly to placate family members and had a few gels on the way round. The first 19 miles felt really good and then I hit the wall in a big way. Managed to get it together to run the last mile and finished in 5:20. Most importantly I raised over £1000 for charity. Celebrated with a chinese takeaway last night but I didn't find it that appealing. Back to LC today. I don't think I'll do another. My legs are aching so much today even after an ice bath yesterday!

Huge congratulations!!!!
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Apr-23-10, 22:02
Bouncy!

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 297/173.3/150 Female 5'7" (top weight 340)
BF:41%/31%/??%
Progress: 84%

Yes, a marathon is a major accomplishment! Congratulations!
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Apr-24-10, 02:39

Plan: paleo adaptation
Stats: 248/215/200 Male 70
BF:
Progress: 69%

Quote:
Originally Posted by djd2009

Congrats! I did my first marathon (2008) in 5:22 or 2 hrs and 202 minutes as I like to put it. I got injured afterwards by running with a crazy woman friend of mine who basically runs a marathon every weekend. I had to stop running for a year. I just got back into it about 6-7 months ago.
I am now running LC and have successfully completed 16 miles LC- I am going to see how it goes and if all goes well, I will run the Philadelphia Marathon in 2010 (this november) all LC. I am hoping for a time of under 4.5 hours. We'll see how it goes.

Good job on raising money for a great cause!
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Apr-24-10, 16:12
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 200/159.4/135 Female 62 in
BF:29.2
Progress: 62%

Hip, hip, hooray
Hip, hip, hooray!
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Apr-24-10, 19:17

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by robmedina
Congrats! I did my first marathon (2008) in 5:22 or 2 hrs and 202 minutes as I like to put it. I got injured afterwards by running with a crazy woman friend of mine who basically runs a marathon every weekend. I had to stop running for a year. I just got back into it about 6-7 months ago.
I am now running LC and have successfully completed 16 miles LC- I am going to see how it goes and if all goes well, I will run the Philadelphia Marathon in 2010 (this november) all LC. I am hoping for a time of under 4.5 hours. We'll see how it goes.

Good job on raising money for a great cause!

Rob, you gotta make a shirt "No Carbs, Baby!". I will either be cheering or running that day - either way I will be cheering for you.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Apr-27-10, 10:55

BF:

Thanks for the congratulations. I did say "never again" as soon as I finished but now a week after, the feeling has returned to my legs and I will probably do Brighton again next year. My plan is to try totally LC.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Apr-29-10, 15:43

Plan: paleo adaptation
Stats: 248/215/200 Male 70
BF:
Progress: 69%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschwab
Rob, you gotta make a shirt "No Carbs, Baby!". I will either be cheering or running that day - either way I will be cheering for you.

That would be awesome if you're running we could be the paleo runners!