Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Karen's Corner
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Aug-15-06, 09:18

Plan: 1972 Atkins
Stats: 234/210/160 Female 5,7"
BF:100 % scary!
Progress: 32%
Default Karen (Or any kitchen savvy individual!) I have a Chicken Issue!

Okay, last night I made a chicken. I rubbed it with a mix of mayo, fresh basil, and garlic with salt and pepper. I put a scant amount of chopped onions and wine at the bottom of my crock pot and then put the chicken on low while I went to work.

It smelled really divine, but the meat tasted like the marrow and bone. It had that funky, jiggly grey/pink stuff from the ribs all over the place and the meat had absorbed the flavor. So, is it possible to avoid this? Is there a better way to slow cook a chicken without a rotisserie? (I don't have one and my grocer always adds spices and such to theirs that I don't trust.)

Thanks,

Ally
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Aug-15-06, 18:07
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Did you use a whole chicken? The issue could of been the fat content. I've had that happen when the fat and gelitin escapes the bones then doesn't get fully cooked.

You might try using just chicken breasts, or skin free. Also what kind of wine did you use? If it was a red wine then some of the pink colour could of been from the wine adding colour. If it was white then the pink was more likely from the blood of the chicken. Wine dishes I usually make by frying up, or by adding the wine at the last few minutes of cooking time instead of at the start.

If you like using a whole chicken you might cook it first in the spiaces and a touch of liquid such as broth or water. Cool the chicken then remove the bones and skim the fat off, after cook it in with the wine.

For a really cool colour you might try Shiraz someday. It tastes great with chicken and turns it bright purple.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Aug-15-06, 18:35

Yup, I used a whole chicken and just plunked in the crock pot. When ever I cook in the crock, I always add a tablespoon of white, dry wine because I just love the flavor it makes to the meat.

The meat just tasted so..funky..from all the bone and marrow. Blech.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Aug-15-06, 21:12
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardentluma
Yup, I used a whole chicken and just plunked in the crock pot. When ever I cook in the crock, I always add a tablespoon of white, dry wine because I just love the flavor it makes to the meat.

The meat just tasted so..funky..from all the bone and marrow. Blech.

A lot of chicken is water-chilled; and the stuff just oozes out when cooked.

I've taken to using "air chilled" chicken only, it's a lot less "juicy". Also if your chicken is VERY cold when it goes in, this may contribute to your cooking problem.

I can't really imagine crocking a whole chicken, I really want that browning and rendering action you get from dry roasting...hmmmmm, consider maybe using HIGH heat and using a small rack as well, if you want to try crocking a whole chicken again. Otherwise you may be better off using pieces (as well as air-chilled, etc.).
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Aug-16-06, 11:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandGirl
A lot of chicken is water-chilled; and the stuff just oozes out when cooked.

I've taken to using "air chilled" chicken only, it's a lot less "juicy". Also if your chicken is VERY cold when it goes in, this may contribute to your cooking problem.

I can't really imagine crocking a whole chicken, I really want that browning and rendering action you get from dry roasting...hmmmmm, consider maybe using HIGH heat and using a small rack as well, if you want to try crocking a whole chicken again. Otherwise you may be better off using pieces (as well as air-chilled, etc.).

Thanks for that suggestion. I definately enjoy a roasted chicken more than what I came up with. However, the broth from the chicken I made was really good so I saved that.. Strange how the broth came out fine but the meat was strange.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Aug-19-06, 23:11

Plan: HCG/LCHF
Stats: 224/201/190 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 68%

Was the chicken pointed breast down in the crockpot? that's how I've done it in the past.

One thing you can do to elevate the chicken from the juices is roll up balls of aluminum foil and put them in the bottom of the crock before adding the chicken. I'm also wondering how much squicky stuff the mayo added, since it probably separated during the cooking process... ?
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Sep-17-06, 08:20

Plan: CALP
Stats: 140/125/120 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

I don't like chicken done in the crock pot at all. Sometimes it will taste almost gummy. Crock pot cooking changes the texture of the chicken. Whole chickens are best roasted.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Sep-17-06, 09:13

Plan: Pregnant-Moderation
Stats: 157/195/000 Female 5 foot 4 inches
BF:
Progress: -24%
Default Chicken ideas still?

HI Ardentluma,

I'm a newbie on the forum as of yesterday (been on my own version of low carb form South Beach, Curves, Brad King'S Fat Wars.......basically tryin 1 portion of starchy carbs per day). I realize you wrote for ideas in AUgust, but in case it could still be helpful, so far the best tasting chicken in crock pot (I also enjoy saving time by using it) is chicken thighs for me. I did the breasts recently and they came out way too dry. I'll look for the simple curry recipe did recently with chicken thighs.......soemthing like 2 tB curry powder, chicken boullion.....with veggies and was good.....although putting the veggies (tomatoes, peppers, onions) in at the same time as chicken made the veggies mushy but still good. Ideally, if I would be home in time, I think veggies would be better put in half way through.

Keep up the sharing!
Latté Lover
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Sep-17-06, 12:18
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

If you want to you can "butterfly" a whole chicken and broil it in about 30 minutes. Here's the process described by Alton Brown.

http://www.goodeatsfanpage.com/GEFP/index.htm

Basically you use kitchen shears and literally cut out the backbone, on the breast side use a boning knife, you cut through the membrane holding the keel bone in place (the one that has a big thing of cartilege on it) and lever it out with your fingers.

The bird opens up and lays pretty flat. You rub it down with your spices and broil it 8" from flame, about 15 minutes each side, although I usually have to do a little longer breastside up so the thighs get cooked thoroughly.

Skin comes out really nicely.