Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > TOF's (The Over Fifty's)
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Nov-21-03, 16:20

Plan: Dr Eades, Protein Power
Stats: 156/140/136 Male 5'4"
BF:18%/13%/10%
Progress: 80%
Question Aging reversal?

I know that at my age, 63, I can expect to have lost some of my LBM. What I'm wondering is if my current low-carb and exercise activities are actually able to add muscle back or do I just limit the amount of lose?

I went on the low carb program last year and went from 155 to 140. My current body fat is at 13%. According to Dr & Dr Eades I should be at 17%! My goal was to go to 10%, but I don't want to endanger my health. Is that possible?

Besides being on the low carb life style, I exercise at a very high level. I swim three times a week in a masters swimming program about 2400 meters each session. After swimming I lift weights for about 1 1/2 hours. I lift heavy with a goal of increasing muscle mass and concentrate on lower body mondays, chest and shoulders wendnesday and upper body/arms Fridays. I just added the weight training with heavy weights in the last two months. I've been running, swimming, biking since the 1970's.

I also run 2 or 3 times a week for 6 miles at about 8 minutes per mile. Which is way slower than I ran in 1980 - 1995. Then I bike 2 or three times a week 30 miles at a time at around 18 mph average speed on some fairly tough hills.

Is there any information around about the effects of weight training and cardio exercise on people in ther 50s and up. I know that there has been some about formerly inactive people seeing some improvement, but most of that is just motor learning. What I'm interested in is can we actually improve our LBM? Can we go from say 122 LBM to 127?

Regards

SD
Sponsored Links