Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > TOF's (The Over Fifty's)
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Aug-14-03, 19:58

Plan: low cal, low carb
Stats: 196/145/140 Female 5'6.5
BF:23%
Progress: 91%

Whey protein isolate is used a lot by body builders for shakes...so probably health food stores are your best source, and try to find a big store that sells things in bins, as it is expensive and so much cheaper to get that way.

Val
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Aug-14-03, 20:21

Plan: General low carb
Stats: 257/239/220 Female 5ft. 7 1/2in.
BF:
Progress: 49%

Thanks Val--Will try GNC. Aleka
  #18   ^
Old Fri, Aug-15-03, 08:15

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 159/141.7/130 Female 5'7"
BF: LOTS!
Progress: 60%

Aleka,

Same here -- no offense taken! Actually, I find it very pleasant that someone is caring enough to try helping me

I do tend to mix Protein Power with Atkins, and over the years have tweaked the programs to what I can live with -- lately have been looking into the South Beach Diet and carb (starch) blockers. The bottom line though, I very much consider the low-carb WOE a healthy life style. My husband (who had high cholesterol, triglycerides, and blood pressure -- and who was NEVER over weight) is now really healthy -- plus he no longer gets his 1-2 bouts/year of bronchitis.

I very much think that I need to cut fats (so many of my calories come from fats, according to Fitday). I started the starch blockers (WITHOUT changing my eating habits) a few days ago and am maybe getting rid of some of by bloated belly (my waist has decreased a good inch)! I also find that I am, for the first time in my life, "regular" -- though it's much too early to draw any conclusions yet, this may well change within a couple of days. I don't know if the starch blockers are doing anything for me other than helping food pass through my system, but even so, for me, that's a real positive.

What I really like about this group: everyone is grappling with the age problem, we've all dealt with menopause (well, at least the women ), and no one seems to be judgemental and didactic (right word?? I mean trying to tell you how you OUGHT to eat, within a very narrow range) -- I've been on another board where the members, who are doing well, are almost religious about following their WOE... And are very critical if you mention that you have deviated by a little.

I think I tend to ramble all over the place -- hope I'm not too long-winded for everyone!
  #19   ^
Old Fri, Aug-15-03, 13:54

Plan: General low carb
Stats: 257/239/220 Female 5ft. 7 1/2in.
BF:
Progress: 49%

Hang in there Bonnie--Most everyone I've seen that is close to their desired goal seems to struggle and expect that if I ever get close to mine I'll be aggrivated as H---. Anyway--Since I have been on Atkins for only 3 months I need to really give it a complete try before I mess around with other diets. My daughter is on the carb addict diet and I know if I ate what she did on her reward meal- I would still be at 250. She works out on her bowflex machine so at 136lbs. I'm sure she can eat alot more than I can. Anyway--wish you and all struggling low carb dieters only the best. Thanks for the come back!! Aleka