Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, May-06-03, 08:28

Plan: Atkins Maintence with modifications
Stats: 182/150/150 Female 5ft 8 in
BF:36%/23%/22%
Progress: 100%
Question Would like to quit smoking while lcing

I was wondering if any of you quit smoking while lcing and if you gained weight? I would love to quit smoking since I am starting a whole new health concious lifestyle. I was wondering if its ok to quit now and not gain weight or if I should wait till I am closer to goal. Also what method did you use while quiting smoking?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, May-06-03, 14:09

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 196/179/164 Female 5'11
BF:
Progress: 53%

I personally quit a few months before i started LC, but I can't believe what a good choice it was to start the WOE soon afterward...
Because you are at a point that you feel really good, and you are successful at your weightloss, you will feel similiar results with quitting smoking. I think now would be a perfect time. Also the fact that you are limited to how much you can 'binge' on if you do get the munchies, you won't be tempted to reach for sugar or flour (which rules out quite a few of those foods that would make you gain weight if you quit and weren't on LC). And i would imagine that even increasing your intake of calories a bit with legal foods wouldn't increase your weight... Good Luck!!
  #3   ^
Old Tue, May-06-03, 18:20

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 184/156/160 Female 71 inches
BF:
Progress: 117%
Talking quitting smoking

Good for you for wanting to quit!!!

I quit 5 years ago using the stepdown patches, and was quite successful with them. You still have some withdrawal with each new level of nicotine, but you skip those nasty bad cravings and the feeling of being out of control.

As for quitting while on low-carb, I don't know. I personally can only handle one big lifestyle change at a time. Good luck to you, whatever your decision-

#4   ^
Old Sat, May-10-03, 05:45

Plan: PP / Atkins
Stats: 275/215/170 Female 5'8
BF:too much/26%
Progress: 57%

I quit smoking in Jan, while semi low carbing. I used Zyban.. and it was rough for the first week or so (my favourite grandma also died that week).. I cried a lot and threw things .. but got through it.

Just be careful not to end up eating lots of sugarfree sweets to keep my mouth busy like I did.

Since then I pretty much haven't lost any weight, though I'm wondering if that has to do with over confidence leading to carb creep. I'm testing this theory out with 25g carbs a day, no SF lollies for a week and see if i lose or not

My lungs feel SO MUCH better now though.. funnily enough
  #5   ^
Old Sun, May-11-03, 22:13

Plan: Old School Atkins
Stats: 000/000/170 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

I've decided to wait until I hit my goal weight to quit smoking. Many people go on diets at the same time, but at this point I'd rather just lose the weight. I imagine I'll have to go back on Induction to fend off the resulting drop in metabolism from quitting the cigaretes.