Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Emotional Issues & Body Image
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jul-01-11, 21:11
Carnivore

Plan: <50 net/day
Stats: 368/305/190 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 35%
Question Touching and backhandedly insulting email

I just wanted to share a concerned and misinformed email from a very loving extended family member.

I know you are on the Atkins diet and are very excited about loosing lots of weight. I am thrilled for you but I need to tell you what happened to me the past few days and it relates to ketoacidosis (why you are loosing so much weight so quickly)

Over the weekend, we did a pre-cana day on Saturday, went plant shopping, did some gardening. On Sunday lots more gardening, made dinner for a friend. Then I woke up on Monday not feeling terrific, called in sick. Ate breakfast and went back to bed. Within a short time, I was up vomiting. Went back to bed, I continued to get up and vomit. Andy came home at lunch and I asked him to get me some ginger ale. Thinking that that would calm my stomach. By the time he went back to work, 1/2 hour later, I was up again and in the bathroom. I keep checking my sugar, since I am diabete and wear a pump. And I kept taking corrections (more insulin) because my sugar kept getting higher. It's supposed to be around 100, mine fluctuated between 400 -500.
By 4, I called him, cause I was getting pretty weak, and thought maybe it was getting serious (duh), Called our friend the Dr. He said get to the emergency room. We did, They immediatley hooked me up to an IV. Gave me 3 liters of fluid, stuff to stop the vomiting. I was in the hospital until yesterday afternoon.
They weren't sure why it happened, not hydrating enough, bad insulin, an infection. But what happened was my body went into ketoacidosis - which is what happens on the a no carb diet. In my case, my body wasn't able to use the insulin I was putting into it. To get the energy it needed, it needed to burn fat (you think, not a bad thing) but it skews your body chemistry. Because the fat isn't broken down completely and the by product (ketones - which are acids) are pumpked into your urine as waste. But your body is already loosing water, and glucose and then other chemicals - your electolites get imbalanced.

And my body was going into shock, pusle really high, although my blood pressure was low.

Please be careful, loosing weigh is great, but not at the cost of ending up in the hospital. Please keep yourself hydrated, and if you experience any extended nausea or vomiting get to a dr. Please!

All those people who love you, love you for you - not for what size your are!
Love you girl!
Take care of yourself,

My Reply:
I am sorry that you went through that! It must've been scary. I am glad you are feeling better and have it under control.

I appreciate the warning. We both read a lot of research and are paying attention. While related, ketosis is different than ketoacidosis. Also, being diabetic would lend one to being at far greater risk to develop ketoacidosis. Also, we are not on a no carb diet. We are on low carb. We eat leafy greens with our fat and protein.

I hope you never have to go through that again.

Love you!

Her final reply:

Sounds like you are a smart women! Glad you are aware.
Take care!

I was so touched by her worry for me and sooo irritated at the implication that I was ignorantly throwing my health to the wayside to lose weight. Also, that I linked my weight with the love/approval of my loved ones. I am sure she didn't mean to say that part of it. But it took me a while to be able to reply with the appropriate comments.

What do you guys think?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jul-02-11, 01:16

Plan: Paleo/Primal
Stats: 226/181.5/150 Female 5'7"
BF:Why yes it is!
Progress: 59%

I think your response was gracious, loving, and understanding of her situation, while still standing your ground. Good job!
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jul-02-11, 12:30

Plan: carnivore w/ IF
Stats: 214/000/127 Female 5 feet
BF:plenty
Progress: 246%

Oh, man. That irritates me to no end! Not so much at the author, but just the world, I guess. I am a type I diabetic (as is she, I'm sure, type II's almost never go into ketoacidosis or have pumps). I have been in ketoacidosis, which is somewhere you definitely never want to be, and I have been in ketosis (for years at a time), which is perfectly lovely and not related in any way to DKA (diabetic ketoacidosis).

First, there is no chance of a non-diabetic going into DKA no matter what they eat. It will NEVER happen! Second, low carbing will not cause a diabetic to go into DKA. The only things that will put a diabetic into DKA are no or too little insulin over a fairly extensive period of time (at least several hours, but probably more like a day or more) or becoming very ill (when I got it I had terrible food poisoning). Vomiting can both cause DKA and be a symptom of DKA.

Low carbing is EXCELLENT for diabetics, even type I diabetics. Before I discovered low carb, I didn't think there was any chance I could have children. But within about six weeks all of my labs were coming out perfect. I didn't actually lose any weight until years later when I went zero carb, but doing 30 g a day was just excellent for my blood sugar and I did it all through my first pregnancy (another thing they will tell you is no ketosis during pregnancy -- which is bull).

Anyway, back when I first started low carbing around 2000, everywhere I went people would tell me type I diabetics can't do a ketogenic diet because they will go into DKA. I am so happy I didn't listen to them! I would not have had a long life on the carb roller coaster.

And, btw, I don't eat any green leafies, and I do do "no carb" (actually about 2g of carb a day) and it is awesome! No DKA in sight.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jul-02-11, 19:56

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 242/161/155 Female 5'6
BF:don't u ask
Progress: 93%

Have to throw my two cents in as well . I thought your response was lovely and pointed out that while she is correct with her information, she wasn't correct about ketosis. You were polite and didn't get emotional about it. I also have to say i liked her reply as well. I am diabetic as well and I received so many "warnings" as well when I started. It didn't matter that I was eating horribly before Atkins, blood sugar unbelievably high and unpredictable. It isn't a no carb diet, its a low carb diet with plenty of veggies. Everyone told me you couldn't live without carb, I couldn't live WITH carbs.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jul-05-11, 18:57
Carnivore

BF:

Okay - different irritation today - but figured I'd stick with my original thread. The following was posted on facebook under a pic my husband posted of our breakfast. It was a "McFauxffin" - LC "english muffin," uncured pork sausage, egg, & cheese. (I'm Jackie G btw)

The names have been changed to protect... well... yeah.

*friend* Drooooool! What are you using for the bun?
9 hours ago · Like

*Jackie G* A coconut flour and egg based "english muffin" - they're yummy as bagel pizzas too!
8 hours ago · Like · 1 person

*extended family member* OMG...just looking at that made my arteries harden & my systolic pressure go up 20 points... dang!!!
16 minutes ago · Like

*Jackie G* Actually... most people's bp's go down on our diet. Ours has. Also, the idea that cholesterol clogs arteries is being challenged, it's beginning to look like hereditary heart issues can cause scarring - and the scarring causes the blockage and forms high cholesterol levels near that blockage.
13 minutes ago · Like

*extended family member* Personally I'm not a fan of the low carb thing... it doesn't work for me... but whatever works for you babe... cuz you 2 are lookin fabulous! )

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Warning - ticked off rant to follow
I dig that she wrapped up with a positive note. It does kind of irritate the crap out of me that she felt the need to post the negative "artery clogger" comment. Was it really necessary to be negative about our food choices? Especially if you think we're doing well and "looking fab" - why would you be negative?

I think I'm just getting super frustrated at the crap people think it's okay to say to me/us. First of all, I'm not commenting on your dinner choice of pizza and beer - keep your bloated mouth shut about my steak and salad. The comments on the BP, cholesterol #'s, etc - have your own numbers checked, I'll compare notes with you and see who's "healthier."

Also, I think if I read one more snide comment about "will-power," I may just lose my "will-power" to be polite.

These are the same people who will act flabbergasted that I wake up every weekday at 7am to go work out. How's that for will-power? Or hey, when you invite us over and act offended that we won't eat your sugary desserts? If you're that concerned with what we're eating - look at your own plate. Put your guilt back on your own plate.

I apologize if this post went super negative and a bit sideways. I do feel better now, though!
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jul-05-11, 20:07

Plan: Meats & Veggies
Stats: 255/167/160 Female 66 inches
BF:??/36%/25%
Progress: 93%

Quote:
Originally Posted by TChice
Warning - ticked off rant to follow
I dig that she wrapped up with a positive note. It does kind of irritate the crap out of me that she felt the need to post the negative "artery clogger" comment. Was it really necessary to be negative about our food choices? Especially if you think we're doing well and "looking fab" - why would you be negative?

I feel for you!! People think "my doctor says it's bad, and even though it's working for her, she must be killing herself. poor thing."

Some family members always give me grief for going LC. And, I must admit, I'm pretty loose [read:bad] during family events. I'll eat whatever I want at a celebration. However, there are always the comments when I take an extra helping of roast beef...

You can't try to convince them otherwise. They'll either get combative or gloss over at science. Just keep and here.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jul-05-11, 23:30

I hate, hate, hate that kind of comment. I'd be ranting, too. I really truly believe in my heart that it's these people who are checking the fat grams on every item (to avoid them, I mean) who are killing themselves. And it really bothers me that the whole world seems to completely believe that they're acting virtuously, as opposed to the people who are eating out of control (my normal mode until recently) who are just slovenly pigs or the people on low carb who are just coming up with a way to sit around and eat bacon all day long. It seems like the low fat/high fiber crowd have cornered the market on good behavior and if your metabolism doesn't work that way, you are SOL. I swear my husband thinks it's great that I'm losing weight, but he'd like it even better if I was doing it by eating high-fiber cereal and fruit.

And seriously, when is the world going to catch up on the "artery clogging" thing. Doctors don't buy that anymore. (My doctor, bless his heart, believes that low carb is the healthiest way to go -- though he doesn't believe it's doable in the long term, so he doesn't actually recommend it. I'm hoping to change his mind!) But claiming otherwise is like saying the freaking sky isn't blue.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Aug-13-11, 17:28
Carnivore

BF:

I figured I would update this one - today was a nice victory. We had a family reunion and the "extended family member" from the above post was there. Every person we saw went nuts about our weight loss (in under 4mos we've lost a combined 100+lbs) and we were peppered with questions about what we did to get here. It was nice to be able to talk about our WOE without having to defend it. It was also nice to be able to talk about our improved cholesterol and BG levels. That "extended family member" is a great girl, and we love her - but it was nice to have her see that we're healthy and other people recognize that as well.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Aug-13-11, 19:58

Stats: 279.2/234/140 Female 5'2''
BF:decreasing
Progress: 32%

Great jackie! I'm glad they finally see the results of your labor. I look forward to that kind of response from my family, too.

donna
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Aug-17-11, 20:32

Yay! That's better than revenge.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Aug-18-11, 06:03

Plan: low carb 30gm-ish
Stats: 196/185.2/145 Female 68
BF:Yes it is!
Progress: 21%

Hi Jackie- I'm being treated by an endocrinologist for my hypothyroidism. She specializes in treating thyroid issues and DIABETICS. I flat-out told her that I was eating very low carb, and she didn't bat an eye.
I think *some* medical professionals know that low-carb eating is a good, if not superior, choice, for many people.
Until word gets out to annyoying friends and relatives, we just have to put up with their comments!
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Aug-21-11, 20:31

Plan: Atkins '72
Stats: 257/235/140 Female 64
BF:44.1/40.3/24
Progress: 19%

Over the years, I've been fat and I've been thin. It seems regardless of weight, there is always a "well meaning" family member or friend who feels the need to express their (unwanted) views on my food intake or appearance.

I have found that it doesn't stop once you've lost all the weight. That's when they say, "Wow you've lost a lot of weight. Have you been sick?"

I think a lot of my yo-yo dieting has been because I let people's comments get under my skin. Misery loves company, yanno?

This time I'm doing it for me and my health. At 49, I have finally reached the point that the only opinion that matters in regard to my weight and food plan is mine. I only wish I could have learned this 30 years earlier.

Kudos to you! I'm sure you will continue to handle this situation with the grace and tact you have already demonstrated.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Sep-28-11, 06:07

Stats: 167/150.4/130 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 45%

Gosh I wish I was that nice.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Sep-28-11, 08:50

Plan: low carb
Stats: 195/174/170 Male 72 inches
BF:22%/15.2%/6 pack!
Progress: 84%

If someone is going to be rudely intrusive to me or make backhanded criticisms of my WOE they better be living the pristine life because they've just invited me to open up their little world for examination and comment. Luckily my friends and family are either all positively supportive or know me well enough to keep their comments to themselves. I guess having passed the halfway part of life I've lost most of whatever tolerance I used to have for tacky, close-minded, big-mouthed people.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Sep-29-11, 06:40

Stats: 167/150.4/130 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 45%

You should meet my mama.