Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Sep-22-03, 00:45

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 290/178/180 Male 68''
BF:?/13%/10%
Progress: 102%
Default sugar free Popsicles; confused about nutrition info...

I have been treating myself with sugar free Popsicles (Popsicle brand). I do not understand the nutrition information, however....

1 Pop, 55 grams
calories 15
fat 0
sodium 0
Total carbs 3
Sugars 0
protein 0

Ingredients:Water,Glycerine,MaltoDextrin*,Citric Acid,Natural and Artificial flavors,guar gum,locust bean gum,aspartame,acesulfame potassium,ascorbic acid,red 40,yellow 6,blue 1

*Adds a trivial amount of sugar

If the Maltodextrin "adds a trivial amount of sugar", and there are no sugar carbs listed, where are the 3 grams of carbs coming from? Is glycerine a carb, is it a sugar alcohol?

Any thoughts? Thank you.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Sep-22-03, 03:53

Plan: Low Carb My Way
Stats: 170/169/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%

Glycerine is the culprit. Same as in many "bars". Glycerine can cause problems for those that are glycerine sensitive. Be weary...some of those labels can be very misleading. Plug into a hidden carb counter to make sure that there aren't even more surprises.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Sep-22-03, 07:58

Stats: 320/220/195 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 80%

15 kcal/4 3.5g CHO

Since Maltodextrin is the only net carb in there, and sugars are listed as 0g...each Popsicle would have <1g of net carbs. Glycerine is not a carb. But, under the FDA's difference formula, anything that's not a Lipid, Amino Acid, Water, Ash (Vitamin/Mineral), or Ethyl Alcohol is counted as a carb. A very small number of folks are sensitive to Glycerine. Unless you stall out, I wouldn't worry about it.

On a side note, those contain Aspartame which Dr. A does not allow on his diet because it causes cravings/stalling [in a large number of folks] and causes horrible migraines and other problems.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Sep-22-03, 10:54

Stats: 290/178/180 Male 68''
BF:?/13%/10%
Progress: 102%

Thanks cc, that explains it. No headaches, but my sleep has not been great the past couple of nights, and I had some nausea as well; I wonder if the Aspartame is the culprit? I do not drink diet sodas, and rarely use artifical sweeteners, so I really do not know if and how I react. Do you know if glycerine has any purported negative effects on us?

Thanks for the help.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Sep-22-03, 20:52
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

Dr Atkins doesn't FORBID Aspartame, he suggests avoiding it if possible due to questions of safety. Personally, I feel there are questons about ALL the artificial sweeteners, since they can't prove conclusively that ANY are completely safe. All I know is they are less harmful to me than sugar at this point...