Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Pre-Maintenance & Maintenance
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Mar-24-02, 02:05

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 246.5/186.5/160
BF:
Progress: 69%
Angry Slightly Flabby Skin....Help!

Never in my life had I gotten so huge and never in my life has my skin looked so terrible. It is just slightly in my inner thigh, tummy, and lower arm. I am 30, have lost about 50 pounds, and am extremely active with cycling, running, and aerobics. I hurt my elbow several months ago, so I have stayed away from the weights, which is probably contributes to my skin problem.

Question: How do you all keep your skin looking nice?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jun-27-02, 23:49
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 195/140/140
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi, I've got the same problem, however it's getting better. It can take a long time for your skin to firm up after you've lost a considerable amount of weight. So give yourself some time. Since you're very active it shouldn't be too long. Personally, if I could afford it I would get plastic surgery on my arms and tummy, but I've been maintaining for about a year now and I can definitely say there is improvement.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jun-30-02, 19:14

Plan: MINE
Stats: 143/112.4/119 Female 162cms (63+inches)
BF:35/?/20
Progress: 127%
Unhappy A Flabby Tum

My skin appears to be flabby on my tummy region. I did have two babies 14 months apart - the first 8 years ago now. I got large during my pregnancies and I don't know if that made a difference. Still I have always had a tum even when skinny.

I have decided to lose more weight though as I think a lot of this flab is still fat waiting to go. (doesn't it get flabbier when you are losing weight?).

It is good to hear that the appearance improves the longer you are on maintenance. Maybe there is hope for me yet
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jun-30-02, 22:45

Plan: mostly paleo
Stats: //
BF:also don't care
Progress: 100%

Welllll what you do is you wait...and keep exercising...and age and genetics and sun exposure will all settle you out to "your" skin a year or two after you reached goal.

If you regain and do this again at 35, the skin will look worse...at 40, worse still, and so on. If you hate it, use it as your motivation to never go back to carbs.
So the year or two has passed and you still don't look like magazine models? The truth is, neither do they. Those photos are airbrushed. The little bit of extra wrinkling or stretch marks you might have are now your marks of being a warrior; like an Amazon with only one breast, you've earned those scars through a tough battle. Be proud of them.

Whenever I start to mope about the tiny matter of my imperfect skin, Fate tends to send me someone delightful with burn scars or skin cancer or missing legs or the like...and I realize what a small, small matter my focus on my wrinkled thighs is--just cosmetic stuff, and no one who matters will judge you for that.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jul-05-02, 19:10
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 169/114/120
BF:
Progress:
Default flab gone

time is the answer, i started a new job and noone believes i was thick before they keep asking me were the skin went, give it time and mosturize.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jul-12-02, 08:23

Plan: my own plan
Stats: 235/138/130
BF:
Progress: 92%
Default yay sayerville!!

Im from holmdel My fiance is from main st sayerville. Nice town!

I've lost 100 pounds and im constantly hitting the gym and the park. My skin is so loose, you could pluck it like a guitar string and it will viborate. im fortunate enough to not have loose skin hanging from my chin. That was my greatest fear. it takes time, babe. Hey...im so grateful to have lost the weight, a little loose skin isn't going to bring me down. I feel like a 100 pound weight has been lifted off my chest and guess what? Im being literal!!!!

#7   ^
Old Sun, Jul-14-02, 13:09
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 169/114/120
BF:
Progress:
Default hey neighbor

hi, wow we are close. You are right sometimes I feel like complaining about strechmarks, or anything else and then I remind my self that I never expected to loose the weight I had put on and I feel happy, No more shoe shopping for me(thats all i use to buy) now i am not scared to go in the fitting room and try on clothes, the flab will eventually go away, don;t dwell on it.