Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Sep-21-17, 10:06

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 205/181.8/145 Female 5 ft 4 in
BF:
Progress: 39%
Default Jerky Gun?

I stumbled upon a reference to jerky guns in a thread on jerky. What's your fav brand of jerky gun? Any specific tips on using them? What's the texture and dryness/moistness/chewyness of the final product? How long does the jerky keep? Can it be frozen? Can the jerky strips be cooked in an oven or does one also need a dehydrator?

I'm getting really tired of my go to grab and go food and am looking for something new. I generally only use salt and pepper for seasoning so wouldn't be making anything with "exotic herbs" I'll go do some googling but wanted first hand tips from a place that I trust.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Sep-21-17, 10:18
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Just look on Amazon and get the best one there. Mine is what I think most people get. Red capped/handled one.

Jerky can be frozen. If you use a preservative or enough salt you can keep it just in a container. It can be chewy or crispy. I used to make turkey jerky with ground turkey and it got really dry and crispy. I actually liked it crispy. Reminded me of chips. If you use a brisket or something like that and don't dry it at too high a temperature it should be chewy, but I haven't done that.

https://www.amazon.com/Nesco-BJX-5-...words=jerky+gun That's what I have.

Oh, presumably you wouldn't need a gun if you use a brisket or steak.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Sep-21-17, 15:54

BF:

Thanks Nancy. I don't use Amazon but might be able to find one locally. We're in a rural hunting and fishing area so I expect the search won't be difficult.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Sep-21-17, 17:32

Plan: C:12 P:60 F:satiety
Stats: 220/177.6/142 Female 5'5
BF:0/0/0
Progress: 54%

i used to have a jerky gun but i gave up on it. unitasker. LOL i don't really care about the shape of jerky. i have a dehydrator and make jerky in that. just on parchment in a sheet and then scored into strips. easy peasy. less mess to clean up, etc. i'm sure you can make it in the oven just fine--that's what i used to use to dehydrate things before i got my dehydrator. you could probably just cut the tip off of a big ziplock bag to pipe out meat tubes (like icing)
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Sep-21-17, 17:59

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by walnut
i used to have a jerky gun but i gave up on it. unitasker. LOL i don't really care about the shape of jerky. i have a dehydrator and make jerky in that. just on parchment in a sheet and then scored into strips. easy peasy. less mess to clean up, etc. i'm sure you can make it in the oven just fine--that's what i used to use to dehydrate things before i got my dehydrator. you could probably just cut the tip off of a big ziplock bag to pipe out meat tubes (like icing)

That's exactly what I do, dehydrator, parchment paper, no jerky gun. It may not be pretty but it tastes the same and less clean up.

Jean
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Sep-22-17, 06:29

BF:

Thanks ladies. I've decided to try the rolling pin/oven method first to see if I like the end product and before investing in another kitchen gadget. Just need to wait for this unusual late summer heat wave to pass by before I add more heat to the house.