Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Advanced/High Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Feb-24-12, 10:24
Registered Member

Plan: varies - experimenting...
Stats: 248/194/185 Male 6 ft. 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 86%
Default Maltodextrin

I've been getting very good results using maltodextrin mixed into whey protein drink during and after intense exercise (mountain biking).

What's nice about maltodextrin is that it does not taste sweet - so I get the carbs without the TASTE of carbs.

In the past, I've experimented with different ways of adding carbs, such as adding sugar to the protein drink, fruit juice, gatorade, etc. I would get better performance and quicker recovery - BUT, invariably, I would go on a sugar binge following the exercise.

It seems for me, that ANY sweetener - be it sugar or nutrasweet - ramps up my desire for sugary foods and invariably I end up cheating soon afterwards.

I got the maltodextrin at local brewing supply store for $2.50 per pound. It's the consistency of powdered sugar and dissolves easily. Definitely worth a try!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Mar-13-12, 17:39

Plan: Keto IF
Stats: 275/242.8/192 Male 72
BF:
Progress: 39%

Quote:
Originally Posted by fibersnap
I've been getting very good results using maltodextrin mixed into whey protein drink
I got the maltodextrin at local brewing supply store Definitely worth a try!

Thanks for the tip will look into this...
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Mar-15-12, 15:13
Registered Member

BF:

Following up,

I've kept on using the maltodextrin/whey mix and I've had significantly less sugar cravings following its use. When I was drinking sugar/whey mixture while exercising heavily, I had a VERY hard time resisting sugary foods while driving home.

These sugar binges went well beyond replacing the glycogen burned while exercising and I was steadily gaining weight. The maltodextrins seems to give me the energy without setting off a cascade of cravings.

I'm slowly reversing the weight gain without having to forego exercise and do strict induction.

Plus, it's pretty cheap at the local brewing supply store. FWIW, I don't add any sweeteners to the mix - only low sodium morton's salt alternative. It doesn't taste great, but it's palatable and more importantly it doesn't make me crave more than I need to refuel.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Mar-17-12, 16:15

BF:
Default Maltodextrin/Whey blend

On thursday I rode upto the beer brewing supplies place they only had 8oz bags at $1.69 each, got 4 bags for an evaluation. I had whey on hand and mixed 7:1 carb to protein. It may be too early to tell but I think it has promise, as solids don't work on the group ride thing.
I did research how others are doing it as well, seems popular. My malto has a DE of 10 not much sweetness and mixes well.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Mar-21-12, 09:30
Registered Member

BF:

Yeah, before the malto, I would carry a little baggie of raw instant unflavored oatmeal in my pocket and drink it with the whey - now, it's much easier to just reach for the bottle of the mix. Don't have to stop cycling.

I really recommend adding in the low sodium morton's potassium chloride salt. Tastes better and replaces electrolytes.

I use the plain designer whey from vitamin shoppe.

altogether, it's a boring drink which I find to be a good thing. Early on, I was trying to mix orange juice with the whey, but that was too damn tasty and I would chug it prematurely - before I really needed it.

I guess I have bad self-control, lol.

Same thing with bringing bananas, dried fruit, etc.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Mar-21-12, 13:08

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fibersnap
Yeah, before the malto, I would carry a little baggie of raw instant unflavored oatmeal...
I really recommend adding in the low sodium morton's potassium chloride salt. Tastes better and replaces electrolytes.

Same thing with bringing bananas, dried fruit, etc.

The dry instant oats are easy to carry on the bike if you can stop or really slow down.. Have not added salt/sub to the dry mix but will try to remember that.

Another favorite are the salted micro-waved potato wedges in a baggie, higher GI than oats.

I used to carry raisins or dates in case I was running out of gas, but switched away from the higher fructose fruits. Bananas are good, only 50% fructose, they don't store long on a bike though.

Enjoy your riding
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Mar-22-12, 10:37
Registered Member

BF:

The potato wedges are a good idea, but would not work for me. I grew up eating potatoes and absolutely love them, especially with milk. Eating potato wedges with milk-like whey would be too delicious, lol.

Interestingly, I only ate oatmeal as adult and never really liked the taste too much. Which made it good food to take on long trip.

Otoh, my wife grew up eating oatmeal, and it absolutely sets her off on a carb binge.

I have tried bananas, but again, they're too damn tasty. I grew up behind the iron curtain in eastern europe, and a banana was a rare, extraordinary treat. Same with raisins - twoo sweet.

It's hard for me to treat food strictly as fuel.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Aug-14-13, 09:54

BF:

Started using the Malto/Whey drink combo again as I had 2 bags to use up. Been mixing more whey in lately, it does seem to provide a performace boost and help with recovery.