Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > TOF's (The Over Fifty's)
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Feb-23-12, 04:27

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default The Menopause Myth: Why It Can Be EASIER to Lose Weight Later

From the Refuse to Regain blog:

Quote:
February 22, 2012

The Menopause Myth: Why It Can Be EASIER to Lose Weight Later

by Barbara Berkeley, MD

It's always healthy to be skeptical, particularly where dietary pronouncements are concerned.

In the past year, I've been asked dozens of times about HCG. Everyone is talking. It's all over the media. Does it work? The answer should be obvious to anyone. If HCG was any kind of obesity cure, 3 out of 4 people you know would be taking it already. The first pill or treatment that comes along and can really zap obesity will burn through America with such rapidity that we won't know what hit us! Lesson? Just because someone or some newspaper article says it's so, doesn't make it so. Skepticism is healthy in the diet world.

What many years of obesity practice have taught me is that we should also be skeptical of what passes for conventional diet wisdom. Alot of it is just plain wrong. And because we accept it as fact, we lose out on many opportunities to change our lives.

One of my least favorite "wisdoms" is that weight gain is inevitable after menopause. I wrote about this a couple of years ago in my post on weight loss after fifty. As time goes on and I work with more and more peri and post menopausal women, I am more and more certain that lower weights can be maintained without difficulty despite age and hormonal status. Further, I think it's often easier for women to get healthy when they are past 45.

The key to weight loss and maintenance at any age is the same: a complete overhaul of the foods you eat. This seems so simple and obvious, but practically no one who goes on a diet does it. The vast majority simply returns to a modified version of their original diet. Because modern foods are addictive, this modified version becomes the full-blown version in very short order.

The key to weight control after menopause is the strict limitation of starches and sugars, and that includes grains, whole grains and the flour-based products made from them (pasta, breads, and so on). As I explained in my earlier post, this is because we tend to be more insulin resistant as we age. This causes us to make more insulin in response to these foods, which in turn causes easier fat storage and an inability for stored fat to be released. If you can make the change to fruits and vegetables rather than grains, potatoes, breads and cereals (and you can learn how to do it in books like Refuse to Regain or others on Paleo or Primal diet) you will lose weight and your age will be immaterial.

But there are also reasons why weight loss and maintenance is actually easier for those who are post-menopausal.

One of the major reasons is the empty nest. Feeding growing children and ravenous teen-agers makes it extremely hard to adhere to personal dietary rules. If you have kids but they are now out of the house, you will find it hugely easier to make your own plans and stick to them. Most of my patients report (and this has been my own experience) that husbands are usually willing to be flexible about eating. They will often follow along even if they've eaten differently at an earlier stage in life.

A second reason that it's easier to make change is that social pressures begin to modulate. A couple of years ago, Don and I took a trip to Las Vegas. While sitting at one of the enormous breakfast buffets at the Mirage, I had to laugh. All of the people under 45 were tucking into huge portions of bacon, eggs, danish, muffins and potatoes. Those who looked to be over 50 were eating egg whites, little bowls of granola with skim milk, and prunes! Getting further along in life puts you in mind of the final third of the journey. You and your friends will start to be more conscious of health and longevity. Sayng that you no longer eat foods that make you fat and that you want to reach 95 in good health will no longer elicit eye-rolls. You'll be admired, not scorned.

Another factor that I mentioned in my earlier post is the greater ability to be yourself that comes at mid-life. The opinions that others have of you matter alot less now, and your tendency to speak your mind and live life by your own rules increases. Use this new freedom by declaring yourself and your rules for eating. You've earned the right to make your own way.

If you no longer are feeding a family at home, it's a simpler task to clean your kitchen and vow never to allow fat-promoting starches, sugars and junk foods to enter. The need to entertain and cook is often lessened. You've probably had that role for many years and perhaps younger generations will take on all or part of it now. Minimizing baking and complicated entertaining can be very helpful when you are trying to make permanent healthful changes. Keep things simple for a while and see how much easier it is to control the food environment.

Exercise is a vital component of health from mid life on. You can get away with being sedentary when you're young, but it's for sure catching up with you by the time you pass 50. The good news is that it's also a myth that exercise ability lessens with age. While no one wants to get injured, many of us take to our couch at the first hint of soreness. We are not as fragile as we think. Unless you have a very real reason not to exercise, get out there and do activities that get you excited. If this guy can run the marathon at 100, you can train to walk a 5K, shake your booty in a zumba class or conquer the downward dog.

Finally, changing your life and eating habits requires belief in your ability to get things done. That's not something many people have in their 20s and 30s. But after you've built your career, your family, your life, you clearly know how to get things accomplished. Make the same kinds of plans you did to get other important things done in your life and take on your goal with a passion. This is an advantage for mid and later lifers. Use it.
http://refusetoregain.com/refusetor...ight-later.html
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Feb-23-12, 04:44

Plan: My Own
Stats: 293/293/180 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 0%

Demi, I love you so much right now for posting this!
I am so saving this right now! Thank you, Thank you!
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Apr-17-12, 19:00

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 213/167/165 Male 65 in.
BF:35%/23%/20%
Progress: 96%

I dare Dr. Berkeley to counsel long-term forum members like merpig, Nancy LC, and others who've followed a LC WOE strictly that weight loss is achievable post-menopause without drastic measures, like the HCG diet.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Apr-17-12, 19:41
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

FYI- I hit menopause 5 months into starting this back in 2004. Menopause did not (and still does not) hinder my efforts. I think its because I don't have a thyroid problem, yet.
Others here that have trouble after menopause also have to deal with thyroid issues.
Menopause does not have to mean no weight loss for all.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Apr-17-12, 19:57
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj_cohn
I dare Dr. Berkeley to counsel long-term forum members like merpig, Nancy LC, and others who've followed a LC WOE strictly that weight loss is achievable post-menopause without drastic measures, like the HCG diet.

Yeah... I think I could defy anyone's expectations of weight loss.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Sep-26-12, 04:53

Plan: High protein, lower fat
Stats: 000/000/145 Female 66
BF:276, 255 hi wts
Progress: 0%

I was already firmly into menopause when I had a radical hysterectomy last Sept. I've noticed the difference in hormones from that, e.g. libido and skin, but I've still been able to lose weight.

I think one benefit to weight loss after menopause is that you are no longer having all those ups and downs from the monthly cycle, either emotional or water retention. It took a while (perimenopause was hellish) but I feel like I'm more on an even keel after menopause and that I find helpful in weight loss.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Dec-13-12, 11:49
Registered Member

Plan: customized plan
Stats: 212/126/140 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 119%

What a great post. At first, I was afraid since I am over 50 that I would have a hard time losing weight. I mean, I had tried countless times and always gained it all back eventually. However, this time I'm using the low-carb approach and it has worked like a charm! The most important difference is that I don't crave anymore. That's a miracle for me! The weight has dropped off and in fact my body looks leaner now than it did decades ago when I was at this weight. Apparently, the low-carb diet burns off way more fat. Anyway, it really doesn't help that the news media is always publishing junk news that tell you how impossible it is to lose weight if you are over 40.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jul-02-14, 19:44

Plan: atkins
Stats: 206/183/125 Female 5'4"
BF:31%
Progress: 28%

I am 52, had a hysterectomy in 2006 but kept one ovary. But for the past year, definitely have been having hot flashes!

LC definitely works, I did it years ago, but fell off the wagon because I never kicked my cravings. Then I had gastric bypass,and lost a bunch, but high dose prednisone and lyrica, and I put on 50lb. Still down 50, but not where I wanted to be. This time around, no cravings at all, and even with limited exercise, I lost 23lb in one month, all on LC. I also think this woe will help my health problems, so never plan to go off of it.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jul-03-14, 09:15

Plan: Keto
Stats: 190/155/145 Female 5ft 3.5 in
BF:
Progress: 78%

I was firmly into LC when going thru menopause. I hate to think of those days because the hotflashes were intense, and I was miserable, but i did lose weight
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jul-03-14, 10:44

Plan: LC/GF/IF
Stats: 237.0/223.6/174.6 Female 5 ft 10 in
BF:42%.
Progress: 21%

I am 67, hypoglycemic, on two thyroid meds, probably need to go back on adrenal, had a hysterectomy at 30, cannot do much exercising due to lower back pain and fatigue and yet I am losing weight.

The key to my losing (so far) is planning ahead. I have about 90-100 cups of soup in my freezer, flax muffins and bread in the freezer, lunch meat on hand, a menu for dinners, have a really neat way of making almost instant smoothies that I keep in the freezer. I guess my method is based on the freezer!

I need to make menus ahead of time to keep me from getting overly hungry. I like to prepare as much of dinner early in the a.m. when I am not so tired.

Anyway, it has taken me years to find out how my body works and what eating plan works for me--but I am losing.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Jul-03-14, 14:25

Plan: Keto, gluten/nut-free
Stats: 245.8/179/149 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 69%

I found it easier to lose weight at 58 and 60, than when I was younger. Perhaps I just needed the right diet (WOE)! ;-)
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Jul-03-14, 16:01
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Plan: A'72 Induction Lifer + IF
Stats: 265/114/130 Female 5'4"
BF:Not so much now!
Progress: 112%

I found it by far easier to lose the weight this time around being menopausal. I haven't had that TOM since April 2012.

Before I'd have 10 days a month of stalls, cravings or gains until the TOM was over. This time, no stalls, cravings or gains... so personally for me, it was way easier and the weight fall off much quicker too.

Last edited by Just Jo : Thu, Jul-03-14 at 16:03. Reason: Silly fingers... Ugh!
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Aug-31-14, 20:36
Craft Ninja!

Plan: Dr. Atkins/Dr. Westman
Stats: 204/194/169 Female 5'6" inches
BF:high wght over 204
Progress: 29%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAnn
I am 67, hypoglycemic, on two thyroid meds, probably need to go back on adrenal, had a hysterectomy at 30, cannot do much exercising due to lower back pain and fatigue and yet I am losing weight.

I need to make menus ahead of time to keep me from getting overly hungry. I like to prepare as much of dinner early in the a.m. when I am not so tired.

Anyway, it has taken me years to find out how my body works and what eating plan works for me--but I am losing.

JAnn, you may be my sister from another mother! We have a lot of physical things in common! And I don't know why I hadn't thought to do what you do: prepare meals earlier in the day before I am too worn out.

It's great to see that others here are having success after menopause!
Here's to us!
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Sep-03-14, 11:03

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 141/129/120 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 57%

Hey girls! Ya know, I'm a long time low carb fan and lifestyle practicer of this healthy and most delicious "diet". And I'm also 52 years old now. I have found awesome insight, sisterhood, support and highly intelligent studies and writings regarding low carb, and for me, the Adkins way of eating.
Like many of us who post, and read and learn here, I come and go. And I am aware of the more brilliant folks who accept the reality of this most perfect woe, and never go away! Bravo to all of you! And bravo to the rest of us too, cause we always find our way back to what works and what satisfies all our needs, as health and nutrition goes.
It seems like I'm really struggling this time. And so I searched for a way to break the stall, and to completely grasp every ounce of knowledge that is abundantly offered to everyone who happens to be fortunate enough to find us!
The longest time in my life to be faithful and healthy and happy on low carb was from 1996 through 2007. It was indeed my way of life! It was simply understood and loved by me, and as I thrived and stayed healthy and maintained my weight, it was totally a no brainer!
Then some huge life changes came, and to my surprise, my changes for the good, caused me to become more and more careless with my low carb convictions! It was odd, bad, felt wrong, but I finally just stopped controlling my eating habits so strongly, because my strict and controlling behavior got me through a terrible time when there were many things that were out of my control.
Now, please stay with me here! Lol! I'm Fixin to redeam meself! I found the love of my life! My new husband makes me happy and safe, and I gained 20 lbs! Yep, went all carb crazy, felt tired all the time, and lost my way. And guess what?! I got all embarrassed about not maintaining my honeymoon size body, and he said
I looked beautiful and he loves me just the same! Awww, I love him for that, but I was not quite as forgiving of myself! Hahaha! So I told him thanks, but I have to love me too, and besides, we wanna be healthy and be together for many many years!
Then I went to Jenny Craig because they did the thinking for me, and I lost those 20 lbs. Now, I'm not saying that The Jenny Craig plan is the answer, because in 3 years I have gained back the 20 lbs! See, it's me! It's my good or bad choices I make and my behavior that gets me in trouble.
The fact is, any of us can lose and gain weight. And we are in charge of our own nutrition, or no nutrition. Am I right?
So now I am eating healthy protein, acceptable veggies, and good ol' fat! My husband, the best thing that ever happened to me, is also practicing healthy low carb eating, and we are both losing! I'm back! But he is losing more weight and more steadily than I am! So, it's on! Lol! And I came here today to read and learn and get inspired by all of you amazing folks! Yes, the ones who make mistakes as I have, and the ones who hold down the fort and thier weight and health, until the prodigal low carbers like me, always wake up and come back!

Thanks so much Demi and all the rest of you! Cause today, I found this post amd this thread that answers all of my questions about dealing with my older self and how to be hugely successful and happy with this lifestyle choice! All the best y'all!

Last edited by baba8 : Wed, Sep-03-14 at 11:15.