Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Success Stories
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

View comments Article tools
It's a lifestyle
Posted by Planemech
Posted Tue, Apr-26-11
Male 73 in
Plan: Drs specific
Stats: 225/215/195
BF:
Progress: 33%
Default It's a lifestyle

Guess I'd better get my story in. It's slightly different than most others but not uncommon at all. Many years ago I went to a free cholesterol screening at a shopping mall just to make sure everything was ok. I was probably in my early 40's and had a job that took me outside and exercising regularly all summer. I was reasonably active and felt healthy. However, the screener sat down with me and said I'd better see a doctor!
The official (fasting) numbers were something like Total=280, LDL=high, HDL=25, Triglicerides=770 all in the bad range. My doctor decided I needed a low fat diet and niacin. He also said the low HDL was hereditary and could not be changed much. The niacin caused flushes, no matter what kindI used and I became more sensitive instead of less. I started using caffeine to counteract the flushing and developed an ulcer. I dropped the niacin and added Lipitor. I stuck to the low fat diet and ate a ton of carbs. I did this for nearly 10 years, which may be responcible for my developing insulin resistance. The doctor considered adding a second statin drug but decided against it, thank goodness.
I had other symptoms I became aware of only later. One was fatigue after burning the available carbs in my system. I exercised regularly then. I was a runner (10K, Bloomsday, etc) and a bicyclist. I rode two 100 mile rides but during each I nearly collapsed near the end for lack of energy. I had trouble after the middle of a run for the same reason. I had constant hunger to some degree, and an odd anal discharge that caused a rash. I even went through two painful hemmoroid operations to try to alleviate this with no help.
Article tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Success Photos
Before
Not uploaded yet
In-Progress
Not uploaded yet
After
Not uploaded yet