Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Vegetarian Low Carbers
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Mar-25-11, 15:29

Plan: Low Carb Vegan
Stats: 144/144/110 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Vegan Low Carber Tips?

Hi!

I'm a new member and have a bit of a tricky situation . I am carb and sodium intolerant...I'm also a vegan. I'm not opposed to soy but I can't eat most of the meatless products (including Seitan) out there because they have too much sodium. Pretty much just leaves tofu, which is cool because I like it.

But any tips or recipes that anyone might think of would be extremely helpful!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Mar-26-11, 03:33

Plan: Rose Elliot's veg LC
Stats: 185.6/174/140 Female 64cm
BF:
Progress: 25%

Hi,

pretty tough one being a vegan. I am a lacto ovo veggie who has just started doing a low carb diet using Rose Elliot's books. She does say that her books are for vegetarians and vegans although I think there is much less in there if you don't eat eggs. Her Low Carb Vegetarian Diet book has lots of recipes in that might help and there's also a cook book.

Good luck
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Mar-27-11, 07:02

Plan: low carb
Stats: 171/125/145 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 177%

I think a moderate carb plan like south beach is a better approach for a vegan than say Atkins.
(I'm pescatarian).

But here are a few ideas (check the sodium on any products, as I don't pay much attention to sodium)- your carbs will be higher than a meat eater, but I still think you can use the basic principles of the plans to improve your diet.

The basic principles I refer to: eat whole, unprocessed foods; cut out the whites and the starches; eat mainly veggies, protein, healthy fats, and some low glycemic fruits.

Breakfasts:
1. tofu scramble with nutritional yeast, spinach, mushrooms, etc...
2. tvp oatmeal http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/br.../tvpoatmeal.htm
3. smoothie made with almond milk, frozen berries, flax seed or nut butter, etc...
4. beans and salsa (common in central america)
5. make a cereal of nuts, coconut, freeze dried berries, etc...serve with almond milk.

lunches:
1. salads with veggies, olives, artichoke hearts, nuts, tofu, beans, Quorn cutlets, etc...
2. make your own soups with low sodium broth- or this time of year, gazpacho
3. crudites with a variety of fun dips- baba gnouish, hummus, peanut butter, guacamole,olive tapenade, etc....

dinners:
1. vegetable/tofu stirfry
2. tofu "breaded" in almond flour and fried, served with veggies
3. portabello "pizza"- scoop gills, add tomato sauce or diced tomato and Italian spices, sprinkle nutritional yeast and pizza toppings of choice- bell peppers, onion, an olive if that won't be too much sodium, etc...

Best of luck- being low sodium, vegan and low carb is a tall order, but decreasing carbs (even if not as much as an average low carber) will be very helpful IMO.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Mar-28-11, 09:33

Plan: Low Carb Vegan
Stats: 144/144/110 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 0%

Thank you both very much! I will look into the Rose Elliot book, katie85.
Robin, I think I'm doing a pretty good job of being creative so far . That oatmeal recipe looks great! My next venture is to make my own soup, including my own broth. I'm much more sensitive to sodium than carbs, so I'lll always pick a few more carbs to avoid sodium. And I hadn't thought about breading tofu...and that definitely sounds delicious.
This weekend I made a super low carb vegan "mac and cheese". Believe it or not, I managed to cut it down to 6g net carbs per serving...1 part magic, 2 parts delicious!
Thank you for the tips!
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jul-19-11, 11:19

Plan: real food/no junk
Stats: 188/145/120 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 63%

Great ideas! Robin, thanks so much, you had a couple of menu items in there that I'll be adding right away!