Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Karen's Corner
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jul-04-07, 19:02

Plan: LC combo
Stats: 223/211/150 Female 5ft.4in.
BF:
Progress: 16%
Default Nori roll question

Hi, Karen! While still in Sitka, Alaska last week, I FINALLY was cajoled into trying sushi (thank you Julie, Katie and Ronnie). I loved it!!! I'm going to try the shrimp and nori rolls. I can get sushi-grade tuna but not salmon. I'm going to try smoked salmon since I have some on-hand - what would complement smoked salmon? A little avocado? Maybe wasabi mayo?? I'm assuming there's nothing to substitute for the rice except more veggies?? That's fine - I don't mind. I just want to try my hand at it. Thanks. Cheers!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jul-04-07, 19:04

Plan: general low carb
Stats: 150/155/125 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -20%

smoked salmon with cream cheese and cucumber--yum
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jul-04-07, 22:08
Every day is day one

Plan: AtkinsMaintenance/IF
Stats: 185/145/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 133%

green onion

and whatever you do (please just trust me on this one) if anyone points you to the thread where they used the cauliflower as a substitute for sushi rice--

DON'T DO IT!!!!!!!

and if you do do it, don't say I didn't warn you.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jul-09-07, 01:59
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

All good suggestions!

Wasabi mixed with cream cheese would be very tasty.

Karen
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jul-15-07, 12:12

Plan: OWL
Stats: 177/168/135 Female 5'1"
BF:50.5/38/25
Progress: 21%

On reading your post, I wondered once again, "what exactly IS 'sushi grade fish'?"

I got conflicting answers from the Whole Foods sushi chef (who was trying to persuade me to buy HIS sushi, with a 'don't try this at home, kids!' sort of mentality...like it was just too complex for me) and, on the other side of the store, the Whole Foods seafood department guy (who was persuading me to try it).

So I found this article. Thought you might like to know. Note how cold the fish has to get to destroy parasites:

"The only concern any inspectors have is referred to as the parasite destruction guarantee, which is accomplished by 'freezing and storing seafood at -4°F (-20°C) or below for 7 days (total time), or freezing at -31°F (-35°C) or below until solid and storing at -31°F (-35°C) or below for 15 hours, or freezing at -31°F (-35°C) or below until solid and storing at -4°F (-20°C) or below for 24 hours' which is sufficient to kill parasites."

http://www.sushifaq.com/sushi-grade-fish.htm

I don't think my freezer gets this cold. Next time, I will ask the Whole Foods management if their fish vendor follows these freezing precautions.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jul-15-07, 12:23
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%

My local whole foods told me that the only fish they sell that is sushi grade is the ahi.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Feb-10-08, 11:55
OWL More Veggies

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 255/223/175 Female 5'11
BF:
Progress: 40%

I think sushi grade fish is super fresh, I mean caught that same day or the day before. Tuna is quick frozen so that also might be possible.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Feb-11-08, 08:14

Plan: LC combo
Stats: 223/211/150 Female 5ft.4in.
BF:
Progress: 16%

I found that baby shrimp has to be dried well and I mean well!! It made a bit of a mess to roll it even though I spent a lot of time drying off my shrimp. LOVE the recipe you have in the cookbook, Karen - I just need to be more patient with it.

I will try wasabi mixed with cream cheese. I have BOTH in the frig right now!! And a little smoked salmon would be good. I'm the only one who will eat it!! My DD may be convinced to try it but she's in a "no spice" phase right now. At almost 6, she thinks she has the palate of a food critic. Cheers!