Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Karen's Corner
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Mar-16-06, 19:06

Plan: atkins
Stats: 202/191/125 Female 5ft 4in
BF:TOO/Mu/ch
Progress: 14%
Default Zuppa Toscana Question

If you or anyone can take a moment to help with this I would really appreciate it.

I made the Zuppa Toscana soup recipe (link below) and substituted cauliflower for the potatoes. The recipe is pretty basic; chicken broth, bacon italian sausage, kale, onion, garlic, cauliflower and cream. The soup flavor was just like it is when made with potatoes, but my problem was with the texture of the broth. Normally when I have made this recipe with the potatoes, they break down a bit over the course os simmering and add a slight thickness to the broth. This was missing with the cauliflower. I was wondering what your suggestions might be as to replicate the original broth texture. I was considering possibly pureeing 1/4 or so of the boiled cauliflower and then adding that back into the soup. Do you think this would work? The soup is very tasty as is with the cauliflower, but getting the proper broth would make it perfect. Thank you in advance for any advice on this recipe!

recipe link http://recipes.robbiehaf.com/O/573.htm
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Mar-17-06, 03:46
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bebe123
If you or anyone can take a moment to help with this I would really appreciate it.

I made the Zuppa Toscana soup recipe (link below) and substituted cauliflower for the potatoes. The recipe is pretty basic; chicken broth, bacon italian sausage, kale, onion, garlic, cauliflower and cream. The soup flavor was just like it is when made with potatoes, but my problem was with the texture of the broth. Normally when I have made this recipe with the potatoes, they break down a bit over the course os simmering and add a slight thickness to the broth. This was missing with the cauliflower. I was wondering what your suggestions might be as to replicate the original broth texture. I was considering possibly pureeing 1/4 or so of the boiled cauliflower and then adding that back into the soup. Do you think this would work? The soup is very tasty as is with the cauliflower, but getting the proper broth would make it perfect. Thank you in advance for any advice on this recipe!

recipe link http://recipes.robbiehaf.com/O/573.htm

Karen has often recommended a puree of vegetable (especially cauliflower) as a thickener. Sounds like a good plan to me, too! Sounds exceedingly yummy, in fact
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Mar-19-06, 17:53
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

I would make a base for the soup with cauliflower and stock, then puree it. You can then build the soup with the rest of the ingredients.

Karen
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jul-18-07, 09:04

Plan: my own way...
Stats: 300/292/169 Female 72
BF:
Progress: 6%

Why cauliflower? Why not use rutabaga instead of the potatoes?
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jul-18-07, 10:42

Plan: Paleo/Organic Fat Flush
Stats: 193/176/145 Female 5'4.5"
BF:42/31/24
Progress: 35%

Quote:
Originally Posted by gawdess
Why cauliflower? Why not use rutabaga instead of the potatoes?

Rutabaga is higher on the glycemic index. Turnip could be an appropriate substitution also.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jul-20-07, 11:07

Plan: my own way...
Stats: 300/292/169 Female 72
BF:
Progress: 6%

I thought Turnips and Rutabaga were the same thing? At least thats what the guy in the produce aisle told me
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Aug-29-07, 12:34

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 215/164/158 Female 68 inches (5' 8")
BF:much/less/now :-)
Progress: 89%

Not the same. Very different in taste as well.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Aug-29-07, 12:36

Plan: whole foods
Stats: 240/180/140 Female 63 inches
BF:too f'ing much
Progress: 60%

Turnips, for some reason, don't tend to puree as well as cauliflower--it's either very fibrous or very mushy.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Aug-29-07, 16:50

Plan: Atkins-ish
Stats: 168/128/115 Female 5 feet 0 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

I've tried a couple low-carb zuppa toscana recipes and I love this one: http://www.camacdonald.com/lc/Cookbook/0801.html

As you can see, it calls for mashing the cauliflower with cream cheese which really thickens the soup nicely.

Here's the nutrition info I have for it in My P.L.A.N. (Note: I used breakfast sausage because it was much lower in carbs than the Italian sausage I looked at. If you can find good Italian sausage with no crappy fillers, use it.)