Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Mon, Jul-09-18, 07:46

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
Meme , abut the shrimp. Dr G talks about the feed becoming the animal. So if a person cannot eat any lectins, and must go lectin free for best results, they cannot eat meat that has eaten the lectins.

This is a very scary concept.

Because we are all affected at some level.

Contamination is rampant. Farmed shrimp can contain a wide variety of contaminants, including chemical residues from cleaning agents, pathogens like Salmonella and E.coli, along with other contaminants like mouse and rat hair. According to Food and Water Watch, imported shrimp “accounts for 26 to 35 percent of all shipments of imported seafood that get rejected due to filth.”

Another concern relates to chemicals purposefully used on shrimp. Back in 2009, scientists discovered that 4-hexylresorcinol, a preservative used to prevent discoloration in shrimp and other shellfish, acts as a xenoestrogens and can increase the risk of breast cancer in women and reduce sperm counts in men. Xenoestrogens have been associated to a number of human health effects.

A toxicology study2 by the University of Surrey School of Biological Sciences showed that 260 mg/kg of 4-hexylresorcinol was lethal to all cats used in the study, and they also found it was carcinogenic in both the 13-week and two-year long studies. It also caused a high incidence of nephropathy (an autoimmune disease that affects your kidneys) in mice.

While astaxanthin is one of the most profoundly effective antioxidants, farmed shrimp have very little to no astaxanthin and are given synthetic astaxanthin,3 to provide the right color because astaxanthin-deficiency in shrimp produces specimens that look blue rather than pink.

In fact, so-called “blue shrimp syndrome” was a persistent and alarming problem of earlier shrimp farms. It is important to know that synthetic astaxanthin is made from petrochemicals that are not approved for human consumption.
2.Shrimp-packing plants are filthy. As reported by Rodale:

“A report published in the November 2012 issue of Bloomberg magazine4 revealed some truly disgusting facts about the conditions in which shrimp are packaged and shipped.

At one particular facility in Vietnam, the magazine's reporters found processing-plant floors littered with garbage, flies buzzing around, and shrimp that wasn't being stored at proper temperatures.

The shrimp itself was packed in ice made from local tap water, which public health authorities warned should be boiled before using due to microbial contamination, potentially exposing the shrimp (and eaters) to more bacterial contamination. "

https://articles.mercola.com/sites/...med-shrimp.aspx
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Mon, Jul-09-18, 08:18

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

What are better options for shrimp???

The labeling provides country of origin---but which are actually healthy options?
  #48   ^
Old Mon, Jul-09-18, 10:51

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

I look for wild caught with US or Canadian products because that is all I trust! Canada sells some great snow crab legs that we buy frozen in a 3lb box when we can find it in the regular store.
Definitely not from Indonesia after reading other articles.
Just remember there is no inspection of imported seafood!!!
  #49   ^
Old Mon, Jul-09-18, 12:54

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme#1
Just remember there is no inspection of imported seafood!!!

You confirmed my suspiscions. The little I know is that imports are spot checked, with something like 99% walking right thru--- what I remember from an article too long ago.

We were fishing at our camp for fresh fish but the water authority thought a little poison to kill a few weeds was a good thing. I havent gone to the camp since as I dont want my kids swimmin and boating in that either. I need to see our neighbor to get the specifics on the herbicide used. SHeeeesh. It was the one source that is not likely to be polluted here in this old indutrial state. The nearest river to use, where everyone fishes, has postings to not eat the fish--- industrial pollution dumped in it for too many years.
  #50   ^
Old Mon, Jul-09-18, 12:57

BF:

Ive been reading more and more about gut health via bone broths, constant re-innoculating via foods, and providing the appropriate fibers to keep them alive........ but never in connection to diverticulitis, -losis or prevention.....