Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > TOF's (The Over Fifty's)
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, May-29-13, 07:59

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 178/132/145 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 139%
Default not sure what my goal weight should be?

Hello Ive been reading almost everything on this site for months but this is my first post. I am 52 and went thru meno at 47. I'm on many meds since I was finally diagnosed with RA last year however I'm down to 1/3 of my BP meds and all my vitamin levels were good last month. I started LC 14 weeks ago at 178 (I have been as high as 230) and I now I'm down to 148 to 150, size 6 pants and dresses and small/medium tops. This is all good of course except dear lord I wasn't ready for all the wrinkles in my face YIKES! lol

So my question is at 52, 5'6, with a small/mediums build should I go for a goal weight of 135 or 145? Or even less than 135? Thank you

Stacy
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, May-29-13, 08:19

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

It's really difficult to say what your ideal weight should be. Everyone has a different shape and combination of muscle and fat. Is there a weight you maintained easily in the past?

Unfortunately as we age, hormones shift our weight. Instead of a waist, we may have a stubborn roll of fat at our midsection. And of course fat leaves the face leaving hollowed out cheeks and wrinkles.

Some people find a comfortable way to eat and keep eating that way until they find they no longer lose. I've not quite reached that point (still - always - trying to lose another 10 lbs), but it strikes me as a very sensible way to approach it. For most of us having a goal is a good for motivation, but there is no guarantee that our bodies will agree it is the best weight.

Congratulations on your loss so far. It sounds like you are doing great!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, May-29-13, 10:41

Plan: atkins
Stats: 210/126/127 Female 5ft 7in
BF:
Progress: 101%

I'd never got low enough to worry about a goal weight until I started atkins, but as time went on and I became a "normal" wieght, a low carb friend of mine told me not to aim for anything, just keep eating as I was and eventually my body would find its own weight and the weightloss would stop - it did at 127lbs!!! Which was/is great!!

Jo xxx
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jun-01-13, 11:58
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacy52
Hello Ive been reading almost everything on this site for months but this is my first post. I am 52 and went thru meno at 47. I'm on many meds since I was finally diagnosed with RA last year however I'm down to 1/3 of my BP meds and all my vitamin levels were good last month. I started LC 14 weeks ago at 178 (I have been as high as 230) and I now I'm down to 148 to 150, size 6 pants and dresses and small/medium tops. This is all good of course except dear lord I wasn't ready for all the wrinkles in my face YIKES! lol

So my question is at 52, 5'6, with a small/mediums build should I go for a goal weight of 135 or 145? Or even less than 135? Thank you

Stacy

Hi Stacy,
Your issue isn't an uncommon one at all. As we all age, this is an issue for most women.
All women, as Mae West so succinctly put it back in the 30s, "have to choose between their face and their butt" sooner or later.

I lost a lot of weight in my mid 50s, now about 8 yrs ago. I opt to not lose any more due to my face aging. I can't afford plastic surgery.
If you can afford it, then that is a great option for you.

At already a size 6, do you really need to see any more loss?
Good job, by the way!!
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Oct-25-13, 10:57

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 178/132/145 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 139%

Ladies I am so sorry I never replied back to you in May! I thought I posted this question on the "other" Atkins forum and that it never posted.

I appreciate all that you had to say. I am in Maintenance now and have been for about 11 weeks. Life is good and very different in many ways.

Stacy

PS Jo I never thought in a million years that I would be the same size as you! I still find it mind boggling lol.