Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#91   ^
Old Sun, Jul-08-07, 16:38

Plan: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Stats: 212/162/155 Male 68 "
BF:32/23.5/23.5
Progress: 88%

Hi Ralph,

Actually, I take 10 pills x 3 per day.... I never calculated the per day cost. I buy the cheapest I can find, either $5.95 or $6.95 per bottle. The pills are referred to as tea pills. They have many types of tea pills for various uses. The pills are the size and shape of a BB.... I buy 10 bottles at a time, I feel they help, but I want to share something with you.... Take them while monitoring daily. Skip taking for a day or two and monitor and compare the difference in your readings, even try different dosages than recommended if you like. That is how I arrived at 10 pills x 3 per day.

I also take other things and in particular, chromium picolinate, D-Care Sugar Blocker (gynema sylvestre), cinnamon and two ingredients that are inside an anti-oxidant pill (bitter mellon and Brewer's yeast). I rely on the combination and quantity of what I take to achieve my affectiveness goals. I've experimented with quantity of each until I found a comfort zone.

good luck and let me know your opinion, good or bad... Hopefully, all good!

One final note.... When my weight loss is complete, within 3 months or so of reaching my goal weight, I am going to experiment with not taking any supplements. According to a book I read, we should be able to absorb all the nutrients from the natural foods we eat when our bodies are at a healthy and natural weight. When that time comes, I will experiment and post the results...

Last edited by Cajunboy47 : Sun, Jul-08-07 at 16:44. Reason: wording
Sponsored Links
  #92   ^
Old Mon, Jul-09-07, 06:17

Plan: Dr. Bernstein (modified )
Stats: 298/205/199 Male 5 foot 11 inches
BF:
Progress: 94%
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajunboy47
Hi Ralph,

Actually, I take 10 pills x 3 per day.... I never calculated the per day cost. I buy the cheapest I can find, either $5.95 or $6.95 per bottle. The pills are referred to as tea pills. They have many types of tea pills for various uses. The pills are the size and shape of a BB.... I buy 10 bottles at a time, I feel they help, but I want to share something with you.... Take them while monitoring daily. Skip taking for a day or two and monitor and compare the difference in your readings, even try different dosages than recommended if you like. That is how I arrived at 10 pills x 3 per day.

I also take other things and in particular, chromium picolinate, D-Care Sugar Blocker (gynema sylvestre), cinnamon and two ingredients that are inside an anti-oxidant pill (bitter mellon and Brewer's yeast). I rely on the combination and quantity of what I take to achieve my affectiveness goals. I've experimented with quantity of each until I found a comfort zone.

good luck and let me know your opinion, good or bad... Hopefully, all good!

One final note.... When my weight loss is complete, within 3 months or so of reaching my goal weight, I am going to experiment with not taking any supplements. According to a book I read, we should be able to absorb all the nutrients from the natural foods we eat when our bodies are at a healthy and natural weight. When that time comes, I will experiment and post the results...

Hello Cajunboy,

Well we will see what is going to happen over the next several months.

I monitor 4 times per day: BFG when I get up, 2 hours after breakfast and lunch and then just before I go to bed.

The other ingredients you mentioned above are in Glucotor V2 except maybe for the bitter yeast. I also take the Chromium picolinate. I have also ordered from Dr. Mercola' site Carlson Omega3 fish oil.

It does add up in expense. I hope it is worth it. It certainly doesn't cost more than the Rx's I have been taking. However, since I have drug insurance, the actual costs to me are close.

The benefit is what I am after.

Now, did your BG levels come down even while considerably overweight?

Thanks,

Ralph
  #93   ^
Old Mon, Jul-09-07, 08:23

Hi Ralph,

Actually my BG numbers came down as I added supplements and as I lost weight... I used to monitor often as you said you are doing now. But, when I consistently see great numbers over a long enough period of time, I realize I can relax about it. I test about 7 to 10 times per week, but not every day. Some days, I will test 3 or 4 times then if all is perfect then skip testing a few days. If I get see a number above 110, I begin monitoring closer till I am comfortable it is well below it again... I sort of feel what it will be after a while... Lately, stress and getting out of my daily routine is about the only thing making my BG go up slightly, but still well controlled...

When I was on 8 prescription medications, my costs for my co-pay was about $32 per month. I dropped the meds in exchange for the supplements and my costs are probably about $150 or so per month, but when considering the difference in my health, if I had to pay 3 times as much, it would still be worth it to me...

Last edited by Cajunboy47 : Mon, Jul-09-07 at 08:25. Reason: spelling
  #94   ^
Old Tue, Jul-10-07, 05:45

BF:
Thumbs up

Quote:
Hi Ralph,

Actually my BG numbers came down as I added supplements and as I lost weight... I used to monitor often as you said you are doing now. But, when I consistently see great numbers over a long enough period of time, I realize I can relax about it. I test about 7 to 10 times per week, but not every day. Some days, I will test 3 or 4 times then if all is perfect then skip testing a few days. If I get see a number above 110, I begin monitoring closer till I am comfortable it is well below it again... I sort of feel what it will be after a while... Lately, stress and getting out of my daily routine is about the only thing making my BG go up slightly, but still well controlled...

When I was on 8 prescription medications, my costs for my co-pay was about $32 per month. I dropped the meds in exchange for the supplements and my costs are probably about $150 or so per month, but when considering the difference in my health, if I had to pay 3 times as much, it would still be worth it to me...

Yes, I agree the cost is a minor factor if we achieve the desired result.

So, the supplements continue and the weight loss continues. I am averaging about a 5 pound weight drop per month; that is fine. Even if it drops to 3-4 pounds per month that is still good. It is heading down.

Thanks
  #95   ^
Old Fri, Jul-13-07, 21:32
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 136/128/110 Female 150cm
BF:too much !!
Progress: 31%

yep im also t2 diabetic and due to LCing am now off my meds completely, diabetes can be reversed, but if you have been diagnosed with it then you will always be a diabetic, even if you have great control. so thats the bad side but good control and i believe LC is the way to go, will help stop or greatly reduce problems assocciated with diabetes, this site and your responses go to show this effect keep up the good work and bevery proud of yourselves i am pengy
  #96   ^
Old Fri, Jul-13-07, 22:06

Pengy,

Tell us a little bit of history on your T2 diabetes... please?

Do you use supplements at all? Is your diet all natural food?
  #97   ^
Old Sat, Jul-14-07, 04:43

BF:
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by pengy
yep im also t2 diabetic and due to LCing am now off my meds completely, diabetes can be reversed, but if you have been diagnosed with it then you will always be a diabetic, even if you have great control. so thats the bad side but good control and i believe LC is the way to go, will help stop or greatly reduce problems assocciated with diabetes, this site and your responses go to show this effect keep up the good work and bevery proud of yourselves i am pengy

Hello Pengy,

Do join in with us.

The more we have talking about their day to day experiences the smarter we all get.

Thanks.
  #98   ^
Old Sat, Jul-14-07, 20:05
Registered Member

Plan: atkins/high fat
Stats: 278/211/130 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 45%

HI Friends,

Just wanted to check in and let everyone know that my sugar level has dropped more!

My morning reading (which usually is my highest reading) has been running in the 100-110 range! This is SOOO good for me!
The High Fat, low carb really is working!
Also I have added the Gymnema syl back with my Vitamins.
I take Chromium as well, with my multi vitamin and Vitamin C.
  #99   ^
Old Sat, Jul-14-07, 20:35

Good Job Sutton50.... Glad to hear about your success....

have you considered starting a journal?
  #100   ^
Old Sun, Jul-15-07, 06:45

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutton50
HI Friends,

Just wanted to check in and let everyone know that my sugar level has dropped more!

My morning reading (which usually is my highest reading) has been running in the 100-110 range! This is SOOO good for me!
The High Fat, low carb really is working!
Also I have added the Gymnema syl back with my Vitamins.
I take Chromium as well, with my multi vitamin and Vitamin C.

Good for you.

The major impact of a low carb diet is so important in bringing down the BFG and BG. Given that we know this we should always do our best to try to achieve the Bernsteing recommendation of 6-12-12 as a target and if you cannot make sure you are at least in the 30-60gram carb/day area, which I am most of the time.

And know that when you go up and over 100 you are in for trouble for a few days, which I have also experienced.

Interestingly enough since I am on my new natural herbal program, I had what would be called a very high carb day yesterday. I enjoyed a pool party we hosted for my son and his housemates. He lives in a group home. We had sausage, chicken, bread, beer, cake and ice cream.

Hang on I need to journal, be right back...

I really let myself go yesterday. It was a good time.

I had 238 carbs, 193 protein, 142 fat for a total of 3416 calories.

Did lots of swimming in the pool too.

I monitored very closely and took an extra meal dose of my Glucotor V2 and my Mai Wei Di Huang Wan "8 immortal teas".

I am not going to do this everyday, clearly. But I have to tell you the BG counts all day, albeit a bit up did not go out of control.

Here they are:

6:05am BFG of 102
10:53 BG of 112 after a low carb breakfast
12:25pm BG of 162 after 2 beers, chicken some bread and a sausage
13:32 BG of 93 wow it came right down.
14;24 BG of 117, munching all day long
15:44 BG of 138 still not going crazy
17:58 BG of 126 about an hour after ice cream and cake
21:02 BG of 119 still munching some wine, sausage bread, chicken

And this morning the BFG was up a bit to 125.

Now back to good regimen and see how it goes.

I will also put this journal in my journal thread.

Ralph
  #101   ^
Old Sun, Jul-15-07, 10:54
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Good Job Sutton50.... Glad to hear about your success....

have you considered starting a journal?

I am very shy.

It is a real effort to post.

I will work at it.

I have a vacation coming up this week, starting on Wednesday, and will not be posting for about 2 weeks. Hopefully I will have good things to report when I get back.
I plan on taking my laptop and keeping up with Fitday.

Thank you all for the encouragement!
  #102   ^
Old Mon, Jul-16-07, 06:39

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutton50
I am very shy.

It is a real effort to post.

I will work at it.

I have a vacation coming up this week, starting on Wednesday, and will not be posting for about 2 weeks. Hopefully I will have good things to report when I get back.
I plan on taking my laptop and keeping up with Fitday.

Thank you all for the encouragement!

Have a great vacation.

Don't be shy.

With this disease you must reach out and learn as much as possible as you assess your own situation.

The worst thing you can do is to do nothing.

Do post.

We are all here.

We all started at one point. I only started with this in 3/2007. No time to be shy. Do what is necessary to get this T2 or T1 diabetes under control.

Best wishes to you,

Ralph
  #103   ^
Old Mon, Jul-30-07, 12:23
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancinbr
Have a great vacation.

Don't be shy.

With this disease you must reach out and learn as much as possible as you assess your own situation.

The worst thing you can do is to do nothing.

Do post.

We are all here.

We all started at one point. I only started with this in 3/2007. No time to be shy. Do what is necessary to get this T2 or T1 diabetes under control.

Best wishes to you,

Ralph

Thank you for your encouragement!

I am back from vacation. I had a wonderful time! We camped at North Twin Lake in Oregon. We hiked around the lake several times and paddled on the lake. I thought with all the extra exercise and watching closely what I ate, I would loose weight. No weight loss.

My sugar numbers were great though...

I have to keep my blood checks down because insurance only allows 1 test a
day but they have been so good that I haven't worried.

July 23rd... before breakfast... 107
July 26th.... Before Dinner... 99
July 28th... Before Breakfast... 98
July 30th... Before Breakfast... 94

My fasting in the morning numbers are usually the highest numbers.
After meals were, 120, 105

Now with these wonderful numbers, I have to tell you about my DOCTOR visit.
Ugh... does that tell you anything???

I knew my sugars were out of control before starting this Low Carb...
my chol.... 5.1 (Is that really bad?)

my blood pressure at home runs..
128/80 to 132/85

At the Doctors it was 150/80

I was very surprised about the Blood pressure and said so. I gave him my notes on blood pressures.

He said MY Blood pressure monitor may be wrong. Or I may have White coat syndrome.
I believe the later..

He said I was "TOTALLY OUT OF CONTROL"

I told him I wanted 3 more months to prove this diet works.
There was pretty much a shouting match with him asking me why I was coming to him. (good question)
I had him LOOK at my recorded sugar numbers again from my monitor and asked if these MEAN anything? He said 'yes"
Finally he did have to admit that IF I could control it by diet
"it would be better" and that was nearly under his breath.

He gave me a perscription for Blood pressure, which was the only thing I told him I would take... (not sure that was wise either)
This happened the first day of our vacation. My DH was soo proud of me for standing up to him.
Even now just thinking about it, I am sure my blood pressure is up!

Need advise

If my blood pressure is right (checked it against my sister's, and my Dad's monitors and they run very close to mine.)
Should I take the blood pressure medicine?
I chose to wait until I got back from vacation to start. I wanted to watch for symptoms at home.

Sorry this was sooo long but had a lot on my mind.

Last edited by Hutton50 : Mon, Jul-30-07 at 12:34.
  #104   ^
Old Mon, Jul-30-07, 13:26

Plan: generalized low carb
Stats: 205/180/185 Male 67
BF:31%/14?%/12%
Progress: 125%

Hutton 50 - Sounds like you really are doing well. Congrats.

Why is it? both when my wife and I had cancer the docs go out of their way to lay out the options, give their professional advice, and if asked (we did) their personal advice. Always tell us to think it over, told us how quickly we should make a decision.

Diabetes? you're a 6 year older without parents. Doctor will tell you what to do. Don't ask for alternatives? Don't suggest which medicines? Don't suggest which goals? Don't?Don't?
  #105   ^
Old Mon, Jul-30-07, 15:11

To Hutton 50:

My blood pressure was about like you're getting at home and I've even had it as high as what you saw at your Doctor's office... I refused blood pressue medicines.

I do however supplement with an herb and I do take a good variety of vitamins, minerals and amino acids:

My herb pills for lowering blood pressure is"

Er Long Zuo Ci Wan (A Chinese Herb available from a company on the Internet: