Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Mar-17-15, 07:02

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%
Default New LowCarb Diabetes educator website

Great story about weight loss and reduced blood sugars by a Low Carb RN on Diabetes-Warrior website.

http://www.diabetes-warrior.net/201...gar-experiment/

https://lowcarbrn.wordpress.com

Her brand new blog and website is already full of information on diabetes, weight loss and recipes, a link that might be good to share with your diabetes educator or doctor. One photo I reallly liked was of the amount of glucose in blood versus the ADA diet. Dr Westman uses those numbers in his presentations but nothing like a good visual (via Ellen Davis) to make it more obvious.

Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Mar-17-15, 08:30
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

Great resource. Thank you.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Mar-18-15, 04:16

I found more good info under the Everything Else tab last night, a list of her favorite websites, blogs, books, recipe blogs. Very similar to my LC bookmarks, but added a few more new ones. She just started this blog this month, and is loading in more sections, but it is full of good links already. Worth searching around the tabs.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Apr-10-15, 04:11

Just bumping this up with a reminder that Kelley continues to populate her blog with more information...the most extensive lists of links I've seen in one place. Her current single post on sugar has about ten videos, a dozen articles, a huge Infographic, book suggestions, and one link that sends you out to more of the same! People have different learning styles, and she hits everyone of them. If looking for a LC diabetes educator, consider contacting her to learn more about her skype services. Check out her FREE ebook on this website, the diabetes version.
https://lowcarbrn.wordpress.com/hea...hes-and-grains/
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jul-09-16, 11:50

Regular readers know I like Kelley Pounds website because it is simple and jam-packed with LINKS. I Links.

Yikes! Check out this new post:

Quote:
Long-Term Type 2 Achieves Normal BG in 3 Days

I recently ran into a former patient of mine. In speaking with him, I asked if I could share his story because it would be very encouraging to my readers. He said absolutely and also agreed to let me show his BG log that I had taken an image of when I began working with him because I was just so proud of him!

For a little background, this was a 73 year old male who had been a diagnosed Type 2 for well over 20 years. He was overweight, it is hard to tell how much. I would say at least 50 lbs, but for me, it is hard sometimes to tell on men who carry all of their weight abdominally. He was on a moderate dose of basal insulin daily (no mealtime insulin) and Metformin.

On my first visit with him, I found that he was not checking his BG as often as he needed to. I asked him to commit to giving me at least one pre and one two-hour post meal daily. I then spent about 60-90 minutes, teaching him how to eat with diabetes. And that was it. Two weeks later, I returned. He gave me this BG log.

So, let’s look at these readings:
The first day of my visit:
Pre-meal 278
Post-meal 287
This was his established baseline.

Look at what happened just 3 days after implementing the dietary strategies we discussed…
Pre-meal 67
Post-meal 97

After that, his readings were 86, 79, 76, 93, 110, 107, 99, 87, 124, 113, 78, 88, 81, 81, 99, 149 (he said this reading was due to being out in a restaurant and ordering chicken strips with breading, he said he “learned his lesson,” lol!), and, finally, 78.

Basically 3 days to normal blood sugar for a long time, Type 2 who was advanced in age (and weight.) Over the course of working with him for three months, these numbers continued. In fact, his insulin dose was nearly cut in half by his PCP due to consistent low BG.

And the benefits didn’t stop there. He commented that he felt better than he had in decades. He said his energy levels had soared and he was back to doing yard work and gardening. In fact, he said he felt so energetic that he was cutting his neighbor’s lawns as well. He said he had stopped gardening years before because his abdominal weight made it uncomfortable to get down on the ground and get back up. He said he was always short of breath. And now all of that was gone. He thanked me profusely for “giving him his life back.” I told him it was the least I could do. Someone showed me the way and now I was showing others.

Can someone please tell me why this way of living is not the standard in diabetes care yet?😉

Wishing all of you good health and happiness!

"In fact, he said he felt so energetic that he was cutting his neighbor’s lawns as well." We know Ken isn't 73 but that comment made me pause
Warning, low carb makes you want to mow lawns!
And low carb works at any age.

https://lowcarbrn.wordpress.com/201...l-bg-in-3-days/

Last edited by JEY100 : Sun, Jul-10-16 at 06:36.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Oct-15-16, 13:10

How I reversed diabetes, an interview with Bill Rust from the Reversing Diabetes FB page. He's active on that page, and this is his story. In Kelley's interview, she also links to Bob Briggs interview with Bill.

https://lowcarbrn.wordpress.com/201...ersed-diabetes/
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Dec-10-16, 08:15

Kelley is featured as this month's Top Blog by Low Carb Mag. [Who knew there was such a thing?]
Also a video interview with her. The current issue of the magazine is free to read.

https://lowcarbrn.wordpress.com/201...-mag-top-blogs/
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Sep-26-17, 05:53

Diabetes – A Disease of Glucose Intolerance

Kelley's latest post decribes how a low carb diet works to manage her glucose levels, and shows that even after years of eating LC, her body cannot tolerate dietary carbohydrate at even quite modest levels, levels well below the ADA recommendations. Simple explanations of her BG when using a continuous glucose monitor. Her reaction to protein is a BG decrease:

Quote:
On a side note, I have learned a few other things about my blood glucose with wearing a continual monitor. Protein is my friend. I know that many people out there feel the need to limit protein strictly. This is not true for me. Protein lowers my blood glucose post meal. Now, I know there are some folks out there who will say that is because protein raises insulin. That is true. But I’m not trying to live a life of NO insulin, I’m trying to live a life of LOW insulin. I’m not going to fret over the amount of insulin needed to cover a blood glucose of 85-95. With decent amounts of protein, I feel better, can workout physically hard, and see better results with my weight. Once again, your response to protein my differ, but for me, it is my friend.

https://lowcarbrn.wordpress.com/201...se-intolerance/
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Sep-26-17, 12:09

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:
On a side note, I have learned a few other things about my blood glucose with wearing a continual monitor. Protein is my friend. I know that many people out there feel the need to limit protein strictly. This is not true for me. Protein lowers my blood glucose post meal. Now, I know there are some folks out there who will say that is because protein raises insulin. That is true. But I’m not trying to live a life of NO insulin, I’m trying to live a life of LOW insulin. I’m not going to fret over the amount of insulin needed to cover a blood glucose of 85-95. With decent amounts of protein, I feel better, can workout physically hard, and see better results with my weight. Once again, your response to protein my differ, but for me, it is my friend.

This is a statement with which I can very closely relate. I've been messing with protein levels for a few years now, and eating more protein is beneficial for me, enables me to lose or maintain weight, and, along with the fat it tends to contribute, keeps me satiated longer. Again, this is my reaction to greater amounts of protein, and I'm not making this statement because I think it's the correct approach for others, some, maybe, certainly not all others.

If I overeat cheese, that's where I tend to notice physical changes due to inflammation and weight gain. Cheese has protein, but I believe it's the type of protein that messes with my metabolism. I can eat it occasionally, and I'm better off using it as a holiday or milestone snack rather than a regular part of my daily or even weekly eating. Again, this is just me, but knowing and becoming one with the protein that works for you is extremely valuable.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Jul-07-18, 03:40

As Kelley Pounds pulled back from writing on her blog (though what exists are great resources...so much there) I have been seeing more from an LCHF Dietician in a Vancouver suburb active on Twitter. She is interesting because she herself...doing everything perfectly right by the RD guidelines for diabetes, was a T2 diabetic with high blood pressure and cholesterol who needed to lose 12 inches from her waist. New update on her story:

Much More than “Eat less and Move More” – a Dietitian’s Journey

http://www.lchf-rd.com/2018/07/03/m...itians-journey/

How many more stories like this do diabetes educators need to change their recommendations? Note, for her clients, she cuts down carbohydrates slowly, cutting back carbs no further than required, Not going the whole hog way to 20g.

Her website with a Food for Thought blog:
http://www.lchf-rd.com/

With this story and a new T2 reversal story on DietDoctor today...It reminds me of a recent Zoe Harcombe tweet:

Quote:
I don't think that conventional dietary advice givers realise how angry people become when they realise that the LFHC recommendations have made them fat & sick. When they reverse their own obesity/T2D with LCHF, they rightly question why they had to find this out for themselves.

Last edited by JEY100 : Sat, Jul-07-18 at 04:27.