Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#91   ^
Old Thu, Mar-05-09, 10:02

Plan: Dr. Bernstein (modified )
Stats: 298/205/199 Male 5 foot 11 inches
BF:
Progress: 94%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Ralph, glad to hear you joined TYP! I hope you'll be another success story!

Nancy,

Thanks.

Yes, I hope to be another success story.

I am posting and starting several new approaches to help stop plaque advancement.

A very good site.

I don't know if there is a lot of posting going on.

Ralph
Sponsored Links
  #92   ^
Old Tue, Mar-17-09, 17:08

Plan: paleo
Stats: 134/143/154 Male 183cm
BF:
Progress:

Hey Nancy,

an article that supports your "it's in the gut" thoughts:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/304...ts-disease.html

Since I'm having gut problems as well, I guess that I should get my flora right. I hope that low carbing will help with it.

I'm really convinced that most diabetes types are caused by an imbalance in the gut fauna/flora. There must be a critter overload somewhere that releases toxins "en masse" and this triggers an immune reaction.

Perhaps it's THAT easy...
  #93   ^
Old Wed, Mar-18-09, 14:07

Plan: raw food / paleo
Stats: 233/172/130 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 59%
Default Getting off insulin

Hi everyone,

I posted a while back that I was slowly weaning myself off insulin, levemir and rapid.

I an now on three units of levemir am and pm and 1 or no bolus at meals. I'll be off completely by next week.

I am eatings carbs, mostly in the form of raw, and a little lightly steamed vegetables. I do have a fruit a day occasionally, as well as seeds, nuts, sprouts etc. No dairy, no meat, no gluten, extremely limited grain.

Eating a lot of meat and fat is not the only way to reduce insulin and maintain normal BG levels - although it works for many.

I was on 30 units of levemir at my highest, am and pm, for a total of 60 per day. Now I am on three and my BG levels are great.

It CAN be done. Right now, I imagine I have some beta cell function; I might need the meds again if that changes. Who knows?

I have lost 2o pounds or so since early December and walk at least 30 minutes a day. I could not walk without severe lower back pain until I lost more weight, but now I can walk the whole mile with no pain at all.

My BP has dropped so low that I will no doubt stop taking ramapril - it was 105 /70 last evening.

I continue to take metformin, but if I lose more weight, I may not need it.

I am going to read the articles someone posted on the nerve/digestive connection, because this is what got me started on this path: if it is the case - and it is, that gastric bypass patients can leave the hospital completely off all diabetic medication, there MUST be a way to mimic that through what we eat or don't eat.

Frankly, I just didn't like all that meat and fat; I am not saying it's unsafe - not at all, I just don't like it, so I had to find another way. When Vivid Lily posted a link for raw food, I followed it and the rest is history. I followed it because I had heard of the work Dr Gabriel Cousesn had done with long-term diabetics - they were off insulin in a week following a raw food vegan diet.

I am still relatively low in carbs since my food is mostly vegetables, nuts and seeds, and I can tolerate the fat in nutss, seeds, olives and avodacos much more easily.

I keep coming back to this forum because of the support, and the excellent information.

To Ralph: Don't despair - you may be able to get off insulin; there are a few different paths. I chose an extreme path (raw vegan) and I think the Atkins type diets are extreme as well, but if you read 'Death to Diabetes' by DeWayne McCulley, he did it by eating a combination of flesh and vegetables. The point is, they all work, if you stick to them and make them a way of life and not a 'diet' that will be over and then you can eat 'normally' again. For us, there is no going back to the standard American diet. Ever. Once you make peace with that fact, you have begun to turn your life around.

You have to find a way that works for you. I never thought I would take to exercise, I had hated it since 1990 when I began to put weight on from eating the same meals I always had -but now I can't wait to do it every day. It's great when there is no pain. It's so joyous to be able to walk in the sun again! I started by stepping up and down on the lowest stair on my way to the bathroom, and by hefting soup cans while watching tv and reading on the computer - I say 'hefting' because I had severe muscle wasting and that was even hard at first. I use 5 lb weights now.

Stay on this forum, with Jenny, Nancy, CajunBoy et al - you will get support and some excellent advice. I'll check in from time to time to see how you are doing. This CAN be done without lapband or gastric surgery.

April.
  #94   ^
Old Wed, Mar-18-09, 14:13

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgimA
Hey Nancy,

an article that supports your "it's in the gut" thoughts:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/304...ts-disease.html

Since I'm having gut problems as well, I guess that I should get my flora right. I hope that low carbing will help with it.

I'm really convinced that most diabetes types are caused by an imbalance in the gut fauna/flora. There must be a critter overload somewhere that releases toxins "en masse" and this triggers an immune reaction.

Perhaps it's THAT easy...

I think it is. And I do think it is an immune reaction I have because although my endo is treating me as if I have T2 - she is not entirely certain. I think that there will be a very simple cure for this soon, and most certainly it will be prevented, perhaps through diet, perhaps via a new medication. Bu if gastric bypass patients can leave hospital no longer diabetic - then the answer is in the digestive system and not in the pancreas itself.
  #95   ^
Old Wed, Mar-18-09, 22:54

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by januaria
Vivid Lily,

Do you have a link for the Raw Food Divas? I did try the raw paleo for a while, but eating raw meat made me nauseous - maybe there is a way around this or some way to get used to it slowly.

Some foods are better cooked, such as tomatoes, but I think a mostly raw diet is a great thing - all those available enzymes and vitamins.

April.

Since this post, I have reduced my basal insulin from 30 units am and pm (at my highest) to three units am and pm, and my bolus to 0 or 1 if I eat a fruit.

Since this thread is about getting off insulin - I thought I would update it. I am having very low readings even on the 3 units, so I will probably be right off by the end of this week.
  #96   ^
Old Thu, Mar-19-09, 05:09

Plan: south beach
Stats: 225/170/165 Male 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 92%

Many people who have never had gut problems or been overly overweight,like myself, are type II diabetics.There is probably no
single solution to diabetes.We must all find what works the best
and produces the best quality of life for us.
Eddie
  #97   ^
Old Thu, Mar-19-09, 08:54
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 225/202/150 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 31%

Wow Januaria,
That is wonderful.
Congratulations! This is an interesting thread. My insulin is down just after 10 lbs loss. I think it's the no-grain for me.
Keep posting..you are a delight to read.
  #98   ^
Old Sat, Mar-21-09, 00:30

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by National G
Wow Januaria,
That is wonderful.
Congratulations! This is an interesting thread. My insulin is down just after 10 lbs loss. I think it's the no-grain for me.
Keep posting..you are a delight to read.

Thanks, National G - as of today, I am off completely. I cut out grain and dairy as well and my irritable bowel cleared up. I have lost about 25 pounds since December and this has helped a lot, and I am exercising daily.

My doc was amazed but distrustful and said I might find that my morning BG will start to rise and I will need nightime basal. We'll see. So far, without any insulin at all, my BG tonight is 5.3
  #99   ^
Old Mon, Mar-23-09, 17:07

Plan: atkins/paleo/IF
Stats: 186.5/159.0/160 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 104%

I'm sorry if you've mentioned this before, but how long were you on insulin? I'm wondering if the use, gave your pancreas a rest - this is something berstein writes about.
  #100   ^
Old Mon, Mar-23-09, 17:52

Plan: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Stats: 212/162/155 Male 68 "
BF:32/23.5/23.5
Progress: 88%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squarecube
I'm sorry if you've mentioned this before, but how long were you on insulin? I'm wondering if the use, gave your pancreas a rest - this is something berstein writes about.

I feel that using insulin is definitely not what is helping Januaria get off of insulin. Sorry, but I'm pretty sure her change of diet is the contributing factor. Name me one person who used insulin and is off of it after a period of time without doing anything but following something similar to an ADA diet???

I'm not saying it is impossible, just highly improbable.

I congratulate Januaria on her success and acknowledge that her constant monitoring was her safety net in insuring that she did not get herself in trouble while making these adjustments..... It is a success story!!
  #101   ^
Old Sun, Jul-19-09, 07:46

BF:

So I am off insulin completely now.

I am a type 2.

I am down to 251-253 and getting ready to assault the 240s!!

My BP has dropped to very nice levels.

My last A1C was 5.6; so I am happy.

Now to look into this beberine hcl more closely; did I spell that right?

I added Bitter melon to my daily regimen.

It seems to be helping.

Ralph
  #102   ^
Old Sun, Jul-19-09, 13:23

Plan: As low as possible
Stats: 116/116/112 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 0%

Ralph, it is called Berberine. the chinese name is huang lian su.

I buy mine from here http://www.shopsuigetsu.com/Alterna...dicine_s/47.htm

but I think there are other places you can get it.
  #103   ^
Old Mon, Jul-20-09, 06:58

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapluvr
Ralph, it is called Berberine. the chinese name is huang lian su.

I buy mine from here http://www.shopsuigetsu.com/Alterna...dicine_s/47.htm

but I think there are other places you can get it.

Thanks.

What dosage are you taking?

Is this the only herb you are taking.

I am interested, as Ron has indicated, that this may be the only herb he needs to control his BG.

Thanks again,

Ralph
  #104   ^
Old Mon, Jul-20-09, 13:50

Plan: south beach
Stats: 225/170/165 Male 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 92%

Ralph
I have had good luck with Berberine-4 or 5 teapills about 30 minutes after each meal lowers BG quite a bit.
Eddie
  #105   ^
Old Mon, Jul-20-09, 17:29

Plan: As low as possible
Stats: 116/116/112 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 0%

I do the same thing as Eddie. This is my second go around with the herb and this time it's not workng quite as well. I have seen some lower readings since starting it two weeks ago but my FBG still won't get below 100. Last time I took my FBG was two days ago and it was 102. I waited two hours after I got up in the morning and took it again at 8:00 AM and it was 95. That is somewhat of an improvement than when I was not taking it but it is not as good as when I was taking it in the winter.