Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Thu, Feb-19-09, 14:24

Plan: Bernstein/Atkins
Stats: 115/115/115 Female 5'7 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivid Lily
V-effect. I can understand how you feel this way! But I've been going to a Diabetic Clinic here in town where I live for many, many years they really haven't helped me. I record what I eat , then we go over it . they always tell me I don't enough from all the food groups. I tell them over and over again 'I can't eat grains, meat, dairy. I feel terrible and my sugars go way up. So I stopped going for awhile. Got in contact with 'The Raw Divas' they helped me alot. But my biggest help was from a movie I got from Dr. Gabriel Cousens called Simply Raw -Reversing Diabetes in 30 Days. For me it didn't take more than a week and I was off insulin. I got the dvd along with 'The Ultimate Encyclopedia of the Raw Food Lifetyle. by David Wolfe. thru the internet. Yes I am type 2 Diabetic, it still takes alot of hard work. Anyway - With my progress I decided to go see the Diabetic Clinic. The nurse that I always see, is a type 1 herself. on insulin for over 30 years. I told her my story and she was shocked but she wanted to know everything. To make a long story short she is having a hard time changing but she is hardly taking any insulin and hopes to be off it herself soon. In the Dvd the one gentlemen that gets off insulin (type 1) is so impressed that he changes his path in life and starts to work at sharing this possibility with others. Any more questions , just holler. I've been told for years that it isn't possible and I believe I would be dead if I hadn't found my own path. Even now my doctor says 'Well let's see how long it lasts' instead of congratulating me. ttyl. Suzy

Congrats on your success! I am Type 1 and low carbing has helped me to reduce my insulin requirements, too. I'm sorry to report that your DVD is wrong, however, about Type 1's "getting off insulin." And the nurse you spoke to will *die* without basal insulin. Type 1s need basal, or background, insulin, AND bolus, or food based insulin. No matter what you do foodwise you will still need that basal. I manage that basal, and the small amount I take for low carb foods with an insulin pump quite nicely. I find it frightening that any program would suggest a Type 1 could go off insulin entirely. It would mean certain death.
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Thu, Feb-19-09, 15:26
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Maybe they were wrong about what form their diabetes was? Perhaps they assume that anyone using insulin is a type 1, I think I was under that assumption for awhile.
  #48   ^
Old Fri, Feb-20-09, 12:18

Plan: raw food / paleo
Stats: 233/172/130 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 59%

Vivid Lily,

Do you have a link for the Raw Food Divas? I did try the raw paleo for a while, but eating raw meat made me nauseous - maybe there is a way around this or some way to get used to it slowly.

Some foods are better cooked, such as tomatoes, but I think a mostly raw diet is a great thing - all those available enzymes and vitamins.

April.
  #49   ^
Old Fri, Feb-20-09, 19:04
Registered Member

Plan: no grains no sugar
Stats: 172/160/145 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress:

Hi April. 'The Raw Divas.com' right now they have a free 90 Day Detox. you can also do the 7 day detox. it's free too. Also Health in High Heels. . Good Luck. ttyl. Suzy. By the way I'm Vivid Lily there too! Look me up
  #50   ^
Old Tue, Feb-24-09, 13:05

Plan: Eating healthier
Stats: 185/178/150 Female 5 feet 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 20%

Quote:
Originally Posted by v-effect
Congrats on your success! I am Type 1 and low carbing has helped me to reduce my insulin requirements, too. I'm sorry to report that your DVD is wrong, however, about Type 1's "getting off insulin." And the nurse you spoke to will *die* without basal insulin. Type 1s need basal, or background, insulin, AND bolus, or food based insulin. No matter what you do foodwise you will still need that basal. I manage that basal, and the small amount I take for low carb foods with an insulin pump quite nicely. I find it frightening that any program would suggest a Type 1 could go off insulin entirely. It would mean certain death.

I have to agree with v-effect here. My b/f is T1 and has been since he is 4 years old. There is no way he could ever go off his insulin because his pancreas doesn't produce insulin anymore (or, very very little if it does). Even if he decided to eat 0 carbs/starches/sugars and only eat protein and veggies for the rest of his life.....he would still need his basal insulin to counter-act the breakdown of his foods turning to glucose in his body (protein, included).

I do, however, believe T2's can reverse or become non-insulin dependent through diet/exercise though.
  #51   ^
Old Wed, Feb-25-09, 07:48
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 225/202/150 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 31%

Your correct. I don't believe type one can ever get off insulin.
I am type two, and after years of being dibetic my Dr. wanted me on insulin besides orals. I wish I would never done it. Once a few years ago when I low carbed I got off of it. My readings were not as low and he wanted and zip he put me right back on it. I am into my low carb died 4 weeks now, and I am not needing any fast acting, and my 70/30 is down to half dosage. It is plain the Dr. who hated low-carbing...now I know why. He wanted to see me every three months!! No more!!!
  #52   ^
Old Wed, Feb-25-09, 09:14

Plan: Eating healthier
Stats: 185/178/150 Female 5 feet 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 20%

I'm glad to hear lc is working for you.... . I try to tell my b/f even though he will never not be able to go without insulin, he could probably lower his dosage if he followed a lc way of eating. He's slowly coming around...... .

I guess it's not that easy to get 40 + years of the ADA telling him what he should/shouldn't eat out of his system.
  #53   ^
Old Thu, Feb-26-09, 06:37

Plan: Dr. Bernstein (modified )
Stats: 298/205/199 Male 5 foot 11 inches
BF:
Progress: 94%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ptrcmcc6
I'm glad to hear lc is working for you.... . I try to tell my b/f even though he will never not be able to go without insulin, he could probably lower his dosage if he followed a lc way of eating. He's slowly coming around...... .

I guess it's not that easy to get 40 + years of the ADA telling him what he should/shouldn't eat out of his system.

You are so right.

However, even the ADA is starting to come around.

I have noticed articles now and then among the traditional diabetes world that are speaking constructively about low carb approaches and that they work.
  #54   ^
Old Thu, Feb-26-09, 07:39
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

About insulin with Type 1 or 2 - Have you been to the site. Dr. Robert Young with the pH Miracle? Alkaline /Acidic Diet. Please watch the video. That's all I'm going to say. Bye for now. Suzy
  #55   ^
Old Thu, Feb-26-09, 10:00

Plan: Bernstein/Atkins
Stats: 115/115/115 Female 5'7 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

I'm not sure what the stakes are in claiming that a Type 1 (where an autoimmune response has destroyed the beta cells) can go off insulin entirely. It is not true, and it is not, at present, possible. Anyone arguing to the contrary is trying to sell something. Please stop spreading misinformation.
Anyway, I thought this forum was about Dr. Bernstein.

V.
  #56   ^
Old Thu, Feb-26-09, 11:38

Plan: south beach
Stats: 225/170/165 Male 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 92%

"Anyway, I thought this forum was about Dr. Bernstein. "
Hopefully this forum is about all issues pertaining to diabetes.
If it was only about Bernstein,I would have left a long time ago.
I agree that it's irresponsible/crazy to say that a true type 1 diabetic can live without insulin.
And so it goes
Eddie
  #57   ^
Old Fri, Feb-27-09, 08:07

Plan: Dr. Bernstein (modified )
Stats: 298/205/199 Male 5 foot 11 inches
BF:
Progress: 94%

It comes down to the best hope for anyone getting off insulin is a T2 in their early years, such as myself and that I finally gain the discipline to manage my weight, which I believe is the culprit of many of my maladies.

I started insulin very quickly to preserve what I have left in terms of a functional pancreas.

I am giving it a rest. Hopefully, as I finally get my act together and get my weight down, I will get off of insulin and/or dramatically reduce my needs and live a healthier and happier life.

Right now, I am in the midst of "going for a Lap Band". I have attended my first support group and quite frankly I came back a bit discouraged. No matter what, one must commit to a lifestyle change to gain completed control of your weight and eliminate all the negative factors that being obese has caused; I have caused.

I even listened to people who essentially defeated the gastric bypass simply because they refused to change their lifestyle and now were back for a "revision procedure" and lap band. I also saw many successes.

So, I continue my journey for longer life; afterall that is what we are talking about here, be it based on Dr. Bernstein or others we are here trying to extend life and live it to its fullest.

I also believe science will someday come up with a way to restore pancreatic function whether it be from stem cell research or what. There are research projects underway with this in mind. I am speaking not from any direct knowledge but I do pick up snippets now and then that something is going on in this area. So I am hopeful.

But again, it gets back to the awful lifestyle that I have chosen and perhaps others have chosen that have led to high blood pressure, sleep apnea and finally T2 diabetes along with a bit of heart disease. We get what we soe. Is that the way you spell soe???

Now, I also know there are many that are diabetic here for other reasons other than too much weight so there are other populations besides the obese. So many of you have followed a good lifestyle, diet, etc., but are still victims of this disease.

Best wishes,

Ralph
  #58   ^
Old Fri, Feb-27-09, 21:45

Plan: raw food / paleo
Stats: 233/172/130 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 59%

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiemcm
"Anyway, I thought this forum was about Dr. Bernstein. "
Hopefully this forum is about all issues pertaining to diabetes.
If it was only about Bernstein,I would have left a long time ago.
Eddie

Me too - I keep coming back here all the time. I have tried different food plans, including Dr. Bernstein, but I am still experimenting and hoping for settling into one I can fully live with long term. Does that mean I ought not to visit and post on this forum? I certainly hope not. I have gotten such terrific help and infornmation from the people here that it has allowed me to keep my A1C at a non-diabetic level. There are such terrifically well-informed people on this diabetes forum that I encourage everyone I know with diabetes to join just for this.

Vivid Lily is walking her own path as well, and been very successful. I, for one, greatly value her input, and she has been instrumental in my being able to reduce my insulin and metformin. We don't have to follow every link posted, take all advice offered, or believe everything that is said in the forum, but we can keep an open mind and check up on any information offered.
  #59   ^
Old Sat, Feb-28-09, 11:15
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Thank you januaria!!! That's all I'm doing, trying to help. You know I've found something that's working for me. And I just hoped it would help others too!!! I was at a funeral last night the lady was diabetic with a lung disease. I tried to get her to try eating low carb, but she listened to her doctor. They had her eating wayyyyy too many carbs and had to take lots of insulin along with her prednisone for lungs. She was only 74 years old. Can you tell me why then have some Type 1 -gotten off insulin. Dr. Young said you have to get it in time while you are still producing even a little bit of insulin yourself. I didn't even know there was such a test. While I was still taking insulin I found out about this test and had it done. And yes I was still producing insulin, so this new doctor I have said yes we will be able to get you off insulin. I know some Type 1's still produce insulin. Isn't it worth a try? Just because I care. Suzy
  #60   ^
Old Sat, Feb-28-09, 11:26
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

First of all, I'm not a raw-fooder. I don't believe in magical enzymes. However...

Type 1 is an autoimmune disease, right? Destroys the beta cells.

Beta cells do regenerate, right? Even in type 1's. But they get nuked due to the autoimmune disease. Correct me if I'm wrong.

If an autoimmune disease can go into remission, and they do, then potentially that could be a way for a Type 1 to recover insulin function.