Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Thu, Jul-17-08, 13:06
95% Sugar Free!

Plan: Very high fat LC/HCG
Stats: 310/155.4/159 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 102%

I think your instincts and research are right on, I'd want the insulin, too, although the reports about how Byetta helps with hunger control are intriguing.
Although the mechanism by which it supposedly induces hunger control is the same mechanism that also supposedly induces vomiting.

There's LOTS of reports of Byetta causing vomiting... If you couldn't tolerate metformin, I'd wonder if you could tolerate this?

Jenny's blog has good info on Byetta.
http://diabetesupdate.blogspot.com/...lbished-as.html

http://diabetesupdate.blogspot.com/...-sucks-for.html

http://diabetesupdate.blogspot.com/...sy-insulin.html

I know this sounds cynical, but doctors are really pushed and often paid to suggest the newer drugs. Jenny has some good blog articles about that, as well:

http://diabetesupdate.blogspot.com/...s-pay-your.html

http://diabetesupdate.blogspot.com/...keted-drug.html
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Thu, Jul-17-08, 13:19

Plan: My own low-carb rules
Stats: 190/180/140 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 20%

http://www.sciencedaily.com/release...70911163333.htm

"Long term use of Avandia increases heart attack risk by 42%"

I remember hearing this on npr last year.
  #33   ^
Old Thu, Jul-17-08, 14:19

Plan: LC
Stats: 248.4/245.4/170 Female 5' 6 "
BF:
Progress: 4%

Quote:
[QUOTE][QUOTE][QUOTE=MizKitty]I think your instincts and research are right on, I'd want the insulin, too, although the reports about how Byetta helps with hunger control are intriguing.
Although the mechanism by which it supposedly induces hunger control is the same mechanism that also supposedly induces vomiting.

There's LOTS of reports of Byetta causing vomiting... If you couldn't tolerate metformin, I'd wonder if you could tolerate this?

I know this sounds cynical, but doctors are really pushed and often paid to suggest the newer drugs. Jenny has some good blog articles about that, as well:

The thing with me is I don't need the appetite control touted by Byetta cause I just don't eat that much. You make a good point about the Metformin and Byetta - although the problem I had wasn't upset stomach, but was with hives. I read that this stuff can make you VERY nauseous AND that it feels like battery acid going in. I'm pretty sure I'll go with the insulin. The good news is that this Dr./Pharmacist does this all the time so I'm hoping he'll recommend the best way to go and not just try to push this new drug on me. But even if he does, I have the last word!

I'll take a look at the articles cited too.

Thanks everybody!!

Last edited by pamlynn : Fri, Jul-18-08 at 08:07.
  #34   ^
Old Thu, Jul-17-08, 15:09

Plan: south beach
Stats: 225/170/165 Male 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 92%

PamLynn
About byetta causing weight loss:hard to eat when you're throwing up all the time.Some people manage to tolerate byetta
and have decent results.Other than insulin,Januvia might be
a candidate for BG control.You have to eat medium carb for Januvia to be effective.
Good luck
Eddie
  #35   ^
Old Thu, Jul-17-08, 15:32
95% Sugar Free!

BF:

Januvia...? Seriously...?

Januvia looks potentially more dangerous than Byetta by far.
  #36   ^
Old Thu, Jul-17-08, 18:23

Plan: south beach
Stats: 225/170/165 Male 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 92%

"Januvia looks potentially more dangerous than Byetta by far."
Why is that?I guess you could put Januvia in the same class as
the sulfonylureas since it squeezes more insulin out of the
pancreas.BTW I don't think any proof exists that sulfys
cause beta cell destruction.Actually I don't know how it could
be proven.Autopsy?
Oh well...
Eddie
  #37   ^
Old Fri, Jul-18-08, 06:31

BF:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiemcm
PamLynn
About byetta causing weight loss:hard to eat when you're throwing up all the time.effective.

Eddie

My sentiments exactly!!!!!!!!!
  #38   ^
Old Fri, Jul-18-08, 06:57

BF:

Quote:
Jenny's blog has good info on Byetta.
http://diabetesupdate.blogspot.com/...lbished-as.html

http://diabetesupdate.blogspot.com/...-sucks-for.html

http://diabetesupdate.blogspot.com/...sy-insulin.html

Quote:

Thanks MzKitty:

Went to Jenny's site and read the info. Actually have read a few of her articles before. Think I'll try to get over there on a more regular basis, especially since it appears that as of Monday I'll be doing my thing with insulin.
  #39   ^
Old Fri, Jul-18-08, 06:58

Plan: Test-Test-Test w/insulin
Stats: 170/145/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:approx 31%
Progress: 100%

The danger of Januvia isn't that it stimulates insulin production. It does that in a physiological way that only kicks in when the blood sugar goes over a threshold (around 120 mg/dl.)

The danger of Januvia is that it suppresses the action of an enzyme DPP-4 which is essential to the immune system and used by the immune system to suppress cells that have become cancerous. When you suppress DPP-4 you allow cancerous cells to survive.
  #40   ^
Old Fri, Jul-18-08, 08:16
95% Sugar Free!

BF:

Quote:
it appears that as of Monday I'll be doing my thing with insulin.

Keep us updated on how it goes, or if you have any questions, there's a few of us type II's who do or have done insulin around here.
Don't worry about those uninformed voices who may tell you "once on insulin, always on insulin". I used insulin for 15 months, while I went from 310 to 190, until I didn't need it anymore. I'm sure that as I lost weight and consistently ate low carb over those months, my metabolism had a chance to heal.
  #41   ^
Old Fri, Jul-18-08, 08:33
Dazed and Confused

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 170/132/135 Female 5'10
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamlynn
Think I'll try to get over there on a more regular basis, especially since it appears that as of Monday I'll be doing my thing with insulin.

Both "Think Like a Pancreas" and "Using Insulin" are excellent books on insulin usage. I've been on insulin since my DX 30 years ago and even I learned some things from each of them.
  #42   ^
Old Mon, Jul-21-08, 09:37

BF:

Well, well, well! My visit with the Doctor/Pharmacist was quite interesting.

First of all he was a very nice, man who got to know me quite well before we got into the whole insulin thing. He talked about diabetes and got my family history as far as this disease goes. He really listened to what I had to say also and together we made a decision as to where I would go from here.

MUCH to my surprise, I walked out of there with another prescription for Metformin, reason being that just this past Saturday, I had another, less severe, outbreak of hives and I haven't taken Metformin in almost a month, so it just may be that it wasn't the Met.

Even so, before I made the decision to try the Met again, he did talk to me about Byetta but I told him no, didn't want that. He was fine with that though, guess he had to pitch it though. We discussed insulin and he told me he would prescribe Lantus long acting along with Actos, even showed me how to use the pen and inject the insulin. He said Actos because I told him my reservations with Avandia and he felt me on that too. He did say that Actos and Avandia were the same kind of drug, but for me to think about which of these I would prefer. So I'm going to do research on Actos - I have about a month. Also your input would be welcomed.

I have no problem with going on insulin and am surprised with the turn of events, but of course not disappointed, who wouldn't rather take a pill. The good thing is that he wants the final decision about my care to be mine, he will just give me the information I need to make an informed choice.

I go back in a month if I last that long on the Metformin - but if I have any problem at all with the Metformin this time around, he would immediately start me on the insulin.
So I'd like to hear from you on this.

Thanks!!
  #43   ^
Old Mon, Jul-21-08, 09:59
Dazed and Confused

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamlynn
who wouldn't rather take a pill.

Me, for one. Insulin is much more fine-tunable than pills. It works directly lowering blood glucose where pills work indirectly on other systems.
  #44   ^
Old Mon, Jul-21-08, 10:31

BF:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowcarbUgh
Me, for one. Insulin is much more fine-tunable than pills. It works directly lowering blood glucose where pills work indirectly on other systems.

Those were actually his words to me, and he was speaking in general because I kept assuring him that I had no problem with needles and injecting myself. I guess my final decision was based on the fact that just MAYBE it wasn't the Metformin that I reacted to and I wanted to give it another chance and that as drugs go, it is one of the better choices.
  #45   ^
Old Mon, Jul-21-08, 12:33
Dazed and Confused

BF:

I think Metformin is very beneifical to type 2s with insulin resistance.