Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Sweet treats
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Fri, Feb-23-07, 20:01
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 128/116/116 Female 5 feet, 1 inch
BF:
Progress: 100%

Oh my! This dessert is absolutely insane! I have to try it! I'm so going to buy Zuchinni's and make it for work and I will trick everyone! I think I'll let everyone know how it goes, I plan on going with the double filling, 1/2 the crust recipe! THANKS!
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Fri, Feb-23-07, 20:33
Kitchen Experimenter

Plan: General LC Maintenance
Stats: 230/160/165 Male 70 inches
BF:way less now
Progress: 108%

Quote:
Originally Posted by inst1gater
Oh my! This dessert is absolutely insane! I have to try it! I'm so going to buy Zuchinni's and make it for work and I will trick everyone! I think I'll let everyone know how it goes, I plan on going with the double filling, 1/2 the crust recipe! THANKS!

If you really want to fool them make a pie with zucchini.

#48   ^
Old Sat, Mar-10-07, 12:14
13.5 pounds to go!

Plan: GF, Mod. Carb
Stats: 375.5/163/160 Female 66"
BF:60/28/24
Progress: 99%

Hey gang!

Wow... it's hard to believe I posted this 4 pages ago, and this post is still sitting in the top directory of "sweet treats".

I though I would tell you guys what I did last night:

I took 2 small zucchini's, peeled them, sliced them in 1/2 lengthwise, and then used a melon baller, and de-seeded each half. (Thanks Kevin, for that great idea!) Once I did that, I thinly sliced them width wise. This made them look a bit like small apples. I took all the zucchini, and put them in a small pot with 2-1/2 tablespoons of lemon juice, and 3/4 tablespoon of cinnamon. I simmered them on low for about 20 minutes. I took it off the heat, and stirred in 1 tablespoon of splenda. Then I put 1 scoop of Breyer's "Carb Smart" vanilla ice cream in a dish, and pouring 1/2 the zucchini mixture over it. OMG!! It was like hot apple pie with ice cream... just no crust. I think next time, I might even stir in a small amount of that new SF Jell-O pudding: dulce de leche... it has a vanilla cream bottom, and a caramely top. So I'd just use a small scoop of that caramely top.

For the gardeners out there.... I think that if you grew zucchini's in your garden *against* what we've always been taught, and to let them turn into "baseball bats" (for those who don't garden... zucchini's that "hide" under the foliage can sometimes get SO large, that they could rival a small baseball bat) that in 'losing' some of the zucchini flavor, that it would 'enhance' that of the apple flavor. We've always known that to keep zucchini's flavorful, that we have to pick them when they are fairly small (about 6" long) but... we're not looking for zucchini flavor... I think it's all in the texture that it becomes apple-like. Whatever zucchini's + lemon juice do, it works! So this summer, I will be testing my theory, and see if the bigger zucchini's taste even better. If nothing else, they will more resemble apple slices, because it will be much larger.

All hail the Zucchini! Mocker of all things sweet and apple-y!
  #49   ^
Old Sun, Mar-11-07, 09:44

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 260/223/150 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 34%

I made it and my husband just about ate the shole thing. Did not know it was not apples. Suggested that I make it for a pot luck this weekend. Told him that the carb quick is too expensive to "waste" on people who aren't watching their carbs. It was wonderful. Getting more zucchinni today. Didn't find it "carbqucky" but put more cinnamon and nutmeg in the carbquick.
  #50   ^
Old Sun, Mar-11-07, 17:49

Plan: Gluten free wholefoods
Stats: 173/145/147 Female 5"4.5 inches
BF:37/?/25
Progress: 108%

I really HATED the carbquicky salty, artificial taste. Anyone make this with an almond flour crust?
  #51   ^
Old Sun, Mar-11-07, 18:32

Plan: Atkins maintenance
Stats: 170/120/130 Female 65 inches & shrinking
BF:
Progress: 125%

Every time I see this thread I'm reminded of way back, when I was a little girl (before a lot of your parents were born!) there was a recipe going around (word of mouth back then, no 'puters, not even a lot of telephones!) for "mock apple pie". It was made with -- are you ready for this -- soda crackers! And yes, it did taste like apple pie! Not low carb, but a little history for the group! The spices is what does it - lots of things give the right texture.

Glenda
  #52   ^
Old Sat, Jul-21-07, 12:24

Plan: LC/GF/IF
Stats: 237.0/223.6/174.6 Female 5 ft 10 in
BF:42%.
Progress: 21%

Quote:
Originally Posted by glendarc
Every time I see this thread I'm reminded of way back, when I was a little girl (before a lot of your parents were born!) there was a recipe going around (word of mouth back then, no 'puters, not even a lot of telephones!) for "mock apple pie". It was made with -- are you ready for this -- soda crackers! And yes, it did taste like apple pie! Not low carb, but a little history for the group! The spices is what does it - lots of things give the right texture.

Glenda
I remember the recipe that called for Ritz crackers. I never tried it as I couldn't rationalize using crackers in place of fruit.

BTW I'm 10 years younger than you TO THE DAY!
  #53   ^
Old Sat, Jul-21-07, 12:37

Plan: LC/GF/IF
Stats: 237.0/223.6/174.6 Female 5 ft 10 in
BF:42%.
Progress: 21%

I tried the applesauce part with the pancake recipe for breakfast this a.m. using frozen shredded zucchini. It was good but probably better with fresh zucchini. The one thing I have really missed is pancakes with applesauce and sour cream.
  #54   ^
Old Sat, Jul-21-07, 12:49
95% Sugar Free!

Plan: Very high fat LC/HCG
Stats: 310/155.4/159 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 102%

We're starting to harvest zucchini from our garden now, and I have carbquik so will have to try this! I love finding recipes that I have all the ingredients too!
  #55   ^
Old Thu, Aug-09-07, 15:13

Plan: Atkins - doc prescribed
Stats: 164/157.5/130 Female 62.5 inches
BF:
Progress:

What are "bowl muffins"?
  #56   ^
Old Thu, Aug-23-07, 18:24

Plan: Lowcarb/IF
Stats: 215/173.9/150 Female 5.5"
BF:
Progress: 63%

This is officially *the* coolest lowcarb trick I have ever learned.

I am right now eating a bowl of warm 'apples' with a little vanilla davinci and a splash of heavy cream, didn't even make the cobbler. I used some generic 'apple pie spice' mix I had in the pantry, and liquid sucralose.

I already loved zucchini cooked in savory form, and I knew people made breads out of it, but I didn't 'get' it. I'm going to try to make some apple muffins from this idea, I think.

My only question: because of the way zucchini are built, I just have a hard time deseeding them (even tried the melon baller trick). I feel like I'm wasting 3/4ths of the zucchini by the time I reach the cooking process. Any advice?
  #57   ^
Old Thu, Aug-23-07, 20:54
Never Give Up!

Plan: It's anybody's guess!
Stats: 350/250/160 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 53%

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynne2
My only question: because of the way zucchini are built, I just have a hard time deseeding them (even tried the melon baller trick). I feel like I'm wasting 3/4ths of the zucchini by the time I reach the cooking process. Any advice?
I love this recipe, too. I learned to make it 40 years ago (with regular pie crust of course.) I used a little demitasse spoon, or sometimes a baby spoon to remove the seeds. It makes it easy to just scrape them out without removing much of the flesh.
  #58   ^
Old Sat, Aug-25-07, 13:00

Plan: General LC
Stats: 00/000/000 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 100%

I have this in the oven right now and BOY, does it smell GOOD!!! I may try it with coconut flour next time, just to change it up.....but I can't WAIT to try it!! Will report back!!

Later....LOVED the "apples" part. The carbquick part - not so much. I will definitely try making this with coconut flour next time.

Last edited by BetsyJ64 : Sat, Aug-25-07 at 14:45.
  #59   ^
Old Tue, Oct-21-08, 13:33

Plan: my own
Stats: 250/243/138 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress:

I'm new to all of this but have tried several recipes and all are wonderful; I just bought the carbquik flour and haven't used this yet but all of you are AWESOME!!! all the helpful hints are making my Low Carb DIET successful..thanks to all
  #60   ^
Old Thu, Sep-03-09, 08:24

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

I've been gifted with one of those baseball bat zucchinis by a co-worker and was trying to find something interesting to do with it, so searched on 'zucchini' in the recipe forums here.

And found some interesting stufff, but one that really caught my eye was this one:

Zucchini Cobbler ????

This would never have occurred to me in my wildest dreams. Zucchini used like apple? It was just so wild I had to try it. Interestingly, when you peel, de-seed and slice a giant zucchini (and I only used half of it) the slices actually do *look* like apple slices.

Naturally, since I never follow recipes exactly, I did things a bit differently. When I was cooking the zucchini with lemon juice in my skillet I also added 1/4 cup of SF DaVinci Cinnamon Syrup, and cooked it down until the liquid was mostly gone, then added cinnamon (way more than a measly 1/4 tsp) and nutmeg.

And since I don't have, don't want to have, and don't use CarbQuick - and the recipe sounded like it had far too much of it anyway, I just stirred in a small spoonful of coconut flour into the zucchini mix. Then in another bowl I melted butter, and then mixed it with some shredded coconut, chopped walnuts, and a bit of coconut flour, and sprinkled that all over the top, and baked until it was browned and crispy-looking.

Something like this just begged for a whipped cream topping, but I am trying to limit my dairy and had no cream in the house, so I made a very nice custard sauce from egg, coconut milk, some vanilla, and a little sweetener.

And this was AWESOME. Wow, How yummy it was. The hardest part for me was the mental part, the thought that I was eating zucchini. But it was really good. Unfortunately I can't come up with precise totals for the recipe since, as usual, I didn't weigh or measure anything when I was making the recipe, so can only do guestimates.

Last edited by Merpig : Thu, Sep-03-09 at 08:30.