Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Canada
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Aug-04-03, 09:46
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 141/146/123 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: -28%
Default Anyone from Okanagan area?

Hey I am from Kelowna, just wondering if anyone is from the area. It would be awesome to get some people from the area in here so we can share ideas and tell eachother good shopping places!! I found some "no sugar added" cookies at Save on Foods in Westbank yesterday! But I am going to wait until I am out of induction. I have also found some "no sugar added" Ice cream... but we will save that for emergencies only! Any other good things, let me know!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Aug-04-03, 13:16

Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

Hello - I left you a post in the other thread about the possible misleading nature of that "No Sugar added" phrase.Here it is
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Aug-05-03, 22:43

Stats: 210/210/160 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 0%

I wonder how many others in Kelowna are doing LCing.

How's everything going for you Lucille? I'm thinking of going back to a stricter induction. I've lost some but I think I might be having too much cream and cheese right now.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Aug-06-03, 15:08

Stats: 200/???/120 Female 5' 3
BF:way/too/much!!

Hey All!

I'm in Kelowna also. Nice to know that there are others!

Lucille, those "no sugar added" cookies and ice-cream, do they have carbs in them?

The only sweet thing I've found that I can eat guilt free is sugar free Jello because it has no carbs and no sugars (it does have aspertame though). I can get the ready made packs at Save-On (Overwaite).
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Aug-06-03, 15:12
Registered Member

BF:

Things are ok... I am on day 9 of induction and so far I have lost 6.5lbs but I havent been very strict either. I have been drinking diet coke, eating the atkins bars and sugar free stuff. It doesnt seem to be a problem for me I guess. I know your not supposed to eat that stuff on induction but I get really bad cravings. I went to GNC today and bought some more atkins bars and I am going to save them for emergencies only! I need be stricter though (is that a word?) haha anyways I feel better and I hope more weight will come off.

How about yourself? Today I had eggs and cheese for breakfast and I just had a pepperoni stick for a snack. I eat a lot of cheese too. I never really thought about eating too much but it could be a problem. When you say too much cheese and cream, how much do you mean? Have a great day, it is so beautiful outside!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Aug-06-03, 15:17
Registered Member

BF:

Harley, they do have carbs but I have no idea how many. I found some "no sugar added" ice cream at save on and it said 11g of carbs but (i think) around 7g maltitol, so that would mean only 4g of carbs per half cup ice cream. YUM!! But It still kinda makes me wonder... Im going to post a thread about the no sugar added stuff and see if anyone knows how to find exactly how many carbs because all of the sugar alcohols are not listed in the ingredients.

The sugar free jello that you buy, is it "Juicy Jells?" Those are the only sugar free ones I have found so far. I wish they made sugar free chocolate pudding. I know they have fat free but its 8g of carbs or something. I bought a few delight bars yesterday at the bulk food store on springfield. They only have 3g of carbs and they tatse like real chocolate. Sooo good! Anyways, have a super day!
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Aug-06-03, 15:33

Hey Lucille!

No, the jello I buy is actual "Jell-o" brand. It's sugar free and comes ready made in the refridgerated section of Save-On (Overwaite) by the mall.

I had a cheat day yesterday so I'm back on strict again today. It was good though!

Today so far I've had 3 chicken drumsticks and I'm working on my 2nd litre of water.

Yeah - I made sugar free choc pudding too. I buy a can of the Carnation Thick Cream (in the grocery next to the Evaporated milk) and mix in a little of the pudding powder (about a teaspoon). That way, it's a quick and easy sweet snack (I keep both the can of cream and the pudding powder in my desk drawer at work), and doesn't have the 8g of carbs.

I too eat a lot of cheese and cream cheese (I started on 21 July). But I think I'm going to try to stick with the 20 g of carbs strictly and see what happens. Also, in my 2 wk induction, I was eating the Atkins bars.

I have not weighed myself, but I don't think I lost weight. However, my belt is fitting me on the 4th hole whereas it used to fit on the 3rd hold before I ate and on the 2nd hole after I ate. So that's a positive sign and has made me decide to be stricter with my eating habits so I will feel like I'm losing quicker.

Also too, I have not been exercising. I will start this week though. What do you do for exercise?

Have a good day too!!
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Aug-06-03, 15:51
Registered Member

BF:

Harley,

Thats interesting about the Jello. I have been going to the Save on in the mission so I will try the one by the mall! What did you have for your cheat day? I had a cheat WEEK ahh and thats why im back on induction. It was terrible, I couldnt stop myself. My last day of induction and I blew it! I ate complete crap for a week and gained even more weight back. But Im back, on day 9 of induction and Im slowly starting to feel better.

I will have to try the sugar free choc pudding, sounds yummy! Can you make it with regular heavy whip cream or does it have to be the carnation kind? How much cream do you use? Any sweetner?

So your eating 25g now? Or still on induction? I have gone over 20gs a few times and I had a few tiny cheats (a small bite of ice cream) but it doesnt seem to bother me. And Im not going to tell myself, no ice cream never again because thats stupid. Once Im done induction, sure Im going to have a cheat day here and there, it's good for us! And I gotta have my chocolate and ice cream!

Congrats on the belt fitting better! Keep it up! Are you keeping a log of what you are eating? I was using fitday but I havent been in a couple days.

For exercise I do cardio (bike, elliptical, stepper, treadmill) for atleast 30 min 3-5 times a week or go for a walk, hike, etc. I do weight training as well but I havent in the last 3 weeks because I heard you shouldnt do weights on induction.

Anyways, sorry for talkin your ear off! Im out for the day so hope to hear from you soon, take care!

Last edited by Lucille : Wed, Aug-06-03 at 15:53.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Aug-06-03, 16:02

Hey Lucille!

I sent you a PM, but I don't quite know how it works as it's the 1st one I've ever sent.

For my cheat, I had popcorn then went to DJ's Restaurant and had great mexican food - complete with refried beans, tortillas, corn etc..... Oh yeah, not to mention the Boston Cream doughnut and about 10 timbits!!!! Oh well, I decided that if I was going to cheat I'd do it properly - and OH BOY did I!!??

Well, I haven't been very strict for the last 2 wks, so I'm going to be strict from today (until I get sick of it at least!!) I'm cutting out the Atkins bars and am seriously going to limit my cheese/cream cheese intake. It's going to be hard, but I'm gonna do it!!

I have a lot of family members who have lost weight using Atkins, and they've tried a lot of different other diets/methods of weight loss. I think that Atkins will work for me too.

I don't know how to check for PM's nor do I know how to see if I sent it to you. So if you don't get it pls let me know because it's probably floating around in cyberspace somewhere!!

Hope to hear from you soon!
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Aug-07-03, 15:37
Registered Member

BF:

Harley

No I didn't get it? I have no idea how pm works either! I will look into it.

I did so well yesterday... well thats what I thought. I had only about 10g of carbs and I woke up this morning, weighed myself and I was 2lbs heavier? What the hell!? So I am confused.

Do you really think the atkins bars stall you? I wonder... I eat them and I drink diet pop all the time. I wonder if I cut them out, I would notice a difference? I need chocolate though!

I was at save on lastnight, noticed they had sugar free jelly beans! I wanted some so bad but I didn't because I know they would make me feel sick (from the sugar alcs)

So where do you do most of your shopping? Natures fare has great stuff but too expensive. I want to find low carb ice cream! I might try the no sugar added stuff from save on. It says its only 5gs of carbs, once you minus the sugar alcs. But it has dairy and i don't think you are allowed dairy?

Lucille
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Aug-07-03, 16:04

Hey Lucille!

A lot of people complain that the Atkins bars stall them. I was eating 1 or 2 a day for the last 2 wks and don't think I've lost any weight. So starting yesterday I've gone back on strict induction again. It's been 2 dys and I haven't had any!

Then again, my cousin in Florida lost about 18 pounds over a 3 wk induction and he was eating 1 bar a day (but he would cut it up and snack on it through out the day). Who knows?

There're a couple of people on this chat forum who have eaten the bars and still lost weight, but most people complain that the bars stall them! I'm going to try the next couple induction weeks without them and see how it goes.

I know what you mean though - I soooooo crave them (I really like the peanut butter bars!!) But after my cheat on Tues, I've decided to do a strict induction to see if I get a huge loss.

I still keep an Atkins bar in my handbag though - just in case I'm out and get hungry. The way I look at it, it's better to eat that and have it stall me than to eat a REAL chocolate bar!!

Well, I shop at Cosco for the meats and bulk items, SuperStore for the bulk items that Cosco doesn't have and then either Safeway or Save-On for the specialty things (like pre made sugar free Jell-o).

By the way, it's a lot cheaper to buy the sugarfree Jello powder (about 60 cents at SuperStore for a box) and make it at home than to buy the ready made packs. I buy both, but only use the ready made packs to carry to work!

By the way, I love my sugar free Jello with thick cream. You can buy it in a can (in the aisle with the evaporated milk). The can is shorter than the evaporated milk can and it's called "Carnation Thick Cream". It's so creamy and good. The cheapest place to buy it is the SuperStore.

I had a great day yesterday. Wed, 6 Aug (Day 1 Induction - AGAIN!!)
- 3 chicken drumsticks
- baked cheesey meatloaf
- cheese
- 1 litre of water
- 1.5 litres of watery Crystal lite

Today I've been good - so far!
Thurs 7 Aug (Day 2 Induction)
- 2 Mini Babybels (cheese)
- avocado (whole one)
- salad with dressing (mainly lettuce)
- 1 litre of water
- 1.5 litres of Crystal Lite

So all in all, I'm being a lot stricter with myself on this Induction that I was 2 weeks ago when I started!

How about you? How have you been eating?

I know what you mean! I love the Atkins bars and diet pop, but I'm trying to cut it out this week. Tomorrow I'm going out to lunch so I'll probably have diet Pepsi (most places only have Pepsi/Coke in diet!!) and some sort of salad with chix I guess.

I work a standard week (Mon to Fri, 8:00 - 4:30). So by the time I get home I am tired and don't feel like exercising! Do you exercise a lot? It's so hot when I get home that it's hard to use the exercise machine! But I'm going to start exercising soon though because it does make a difference!

Hope to hear from you soon!
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Aug-07-03, 18:28

BF:

I like the chocolate coconut Advantage bars...but I usually limit myself to half a bar maybe for a snack if I know dinner is going to be a long way off. Or sometimes I'll have a bar as a breakfast replacement if I'm in a hurry. Unlike Harleydee, my schedule isn't as standard (retail hours are so up and down) so I can get out in the mornings or evenings when it's cooler...Plus I walk all day at work). But even if I don't get out, I still do some crunches, or sit ups (can't do many but I figure it's better than nothing). I want to get a weight set so I can work on my flabby arms a bit and maybe work on strengthening my shoulders.

Lucille, you say you gained 2 lbs but have you noticed any loss of inches? Maybe you've gained muscle since you exercise. Muscle weighs more than fat. I have sort of been staying around the same weight this week but have noticed my clothes fitting a bit better. Have you looked at some of the recipes on here. There's a quick and easy was to make Ice Cream without an ice cream maker. I haven't tried it but I plan to. The ice cream that you found...what's the name of it? Is it Chapmans? I here that it's sugar-free and low carb.

Harleydee, I was reading in some of the other threads that there is a soda/sparkling water type stuff that is sweetened with Splenda called Talking Rain. Some people said it was available in some Costco stores. Have you ever seen it? I haven't been for a while but I'm going to look the next time I'm in there.

Here's what I ate yesterday:

-Breakfast - ham and egg cup...yum (buttered then lined a small ramekin with a slice of ham, added a little grated cheese, tiny bit of diced green pepper. Then lightly beat egg with tablespoon of heavy cream, pinch of salt and pepper...baked it in toaster oven till done. But next time I'm going to try the microwave)

-Lunch - small salad with sliced chicken breast (cook up a whole bunch of boneles skinless chicken breast, slice it then freeze it so I always have it on hand...same with bacon)

-Snack - a little jello...(gelatin and koolaid powder)

-Dinner - chicken breast bone in with skin. frozen broccoli with a little sour cream and shredded cheese.

Snack - Half a chocolate coconut advantage bar

I know I was going to stay away from creams and cheeses but I'm just cutting back a bit.
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Aug-09-03, 14:21
Registered Member

BF:
Default I suck....

Well I hate to admit it.... I cheated lastnight. I didnt really eat all that much yesterday and at about midnight lastnight, went to mcdonalds and had a big extra (only ate half the fries) diet pepsi, then off to tim hortons, ate a boston cream donut, then had few scoops of turtles ice cream. Oh god.. and it didn't even taste good to be honest. I was in a really bad mood so I ate & ate & ate. I feel like crap this morning. I was so scared to step on the scale but my weight is the same? Why is that? Did I totally blow it now? Im going to try eat really low carb for the next couple days. NO MORE BARS until I am losing weight. I am so mad at myself but atleast Im back to eating low carb this morning, not eating the rest of the junk food or craving sweets. I am actually surprised I am not craving junk today. So what do I do now?
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Aug-10-03, 00:25

BF:

If you're going to cheat then cheat well! Get it out of your system and just get back in the saddle. I know you'll be fine. Next time those cravings come along, remind yourself how you felt the next day. I'm happy you're continuing with LC'ing. We Okanagan LC'ers have to stay together and support each other.
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Aug-10-03, 17:35

Don't feel bad about the cheat! I have done it already and it made me even more determined to stay on track. Besides, I had a worse cheat day than you did. I don't feel guilty because I enjoyed it, but now I'm on Day 5 of strict Induction.

The best thing to do if you have a cheat day is to enjoy it and get all the cravings out of your system. That's what I did and it worked for me. I have to agree with you though, no more bars for me until I see a huge weight loss!

Diet sodas however are my one weakness. I try to drink about 3-4 litres of water and Crystal Lite when I want a change, but I love diet pop!!

For the past few days I haven't cooked and have been eating fast food. I LOVE the Papa Burgers with cheese (no ketchup, no bun) from A&W - they're on special for $5 for 2 burgers. That's an easy, quick and satisfying lunch/dinner idea!

I had a double quarter pounder with cheese the other day and I prefer the papa burgers. But by eating these I satisfy my fast food craving - and when I finish eating BOTH burgers, I'm usually too full to miss the fries.

Don't worry about the cheat day. The most important thing is to get back on the wagon and start over. I can see that the cheat has made you give up the bars, so maybe it wasn't such a bad thing.

Good luck ladies and we definitely have to keep in touch. Okanagan support is needed....but Tim Hortons is DEFINITELY the hardest to resist! There should be a warning on EVERY Tim building warning that once you step inside there is no way you can resist all the sweet delicious treats! Oh well.....sigh......who said this was easy?