Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > PCOS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Mon, Sep-10-07, 13:28
Quilting Lover

Plan: atkins
Stats: 235/215/160 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 27%

Quote:
Originally Posted by spring2007
Anyone else trying to get healthy so that they can conceive?

I went off the pill in April 2005 so that I could figure out what is going on w/ my body so that when the time came TTC then I would be ready Well, needless to say that was 2 years ago and I am heavier now then I was then...but that is all going to change this time because I really want to have children soon. I was diagnosed last May with hypoglycemia. I am taking 500 mg. of Metformin but will be increasing the amount next week...the doctor said I could work my way up to 2000 mg. I just had to take it slow and let my body adjust.

Next year this time I want to be a much healthier person that has a better handle on my body!!

Anyone else in a similiar situation? Would love to hear from ya!!

MEEE!
I dont have a doctor; but I am doing atkins and I feel that is enough!
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Mon, Sep-10-07, 17:33

Plan: ketogenic/VLC
Stats: 522/456/399 Female 5'11''
BF:
Progress: 54%

Hi Ladies! I just found out I am 3 months pregnant! And while I was hoping to loose more weight before getting pregnant for health reasons I could not be more happy. I have had VERY irregular period since I was thirteed 0-4 periods a year, when I am LCing they get better but not always perfect. I have not been on birthcontrol for years, thinking I didnt really need and at the same time hoping for a miralce. So ladys if I can do it you can too. I weigh 390lbs and have "infertle'' forever. I was not on any med only LC alothough I did try NAC whether or not it helped I dont think so. Any way I just wanted to let you guys know the great news. Now I just need to find a Dr that has experience with preg. women my size... may be hard to find.
  #18   ^
Old Mon, Sep-24-07, 21:29

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 304/297/130 Female 62"
BF:
Progress: 4%

congrats, Mrs. K!

I've been ttc for 15 mths now. I got pg w/my dd w/no problems, but I had lost 110 lbs (and hadn't been dx w/PCOS yet). I think weight has a tremendous effect on ttc, especially w/PCOS. My ob said if I just lost 20lbs it would make a huge difference.
  #19   ^
Old Mon, Oct-15-07, 13:02

Plan: Atkins-IF
Stats: 180/169/130 Female 5' 2"
BF:
Progress: 22%

When I was married I was in my early 20's and trying to conceive. I had always had problems with my periods, even though I wasn't overweight during most of that time. I had non-ovulatory cycles. My cycles are not 28 days, they are more like 35 to 40 days. After several years with no success my doctor put me on Provera to regulate my cycles and Clomid to start my ovulation. I had 2 miscarriages, it was devastating and I still grieve the loss.
My marriage began to fall apart, maybe it was the stress, maybe it was my mood swings, I don't really know. I felt like I was losing my mind at the time. Looking back it's just a blur of unhappiness.

After I turned 30 I started to lose hope, I was beginning to feel that my fate was not to be a mother. I continued to meet people who were not interested in having a child, especially with someone struggling with fertility.
I have thought about trying to conceive on my own, with sperm donors but I never wanted to be a single mother. I know that it happens to a lot of people, but usually it's not planned. And when you aren't married and you talk about trying to concieve, most doctors just look at you with confusion and concern.

I'm so happy for women who struggle with fertility and end up with children. I know how devastating infertility can be. I felt like I wasn't a woman, I couldn't do that one BASIC thing all women are supposed to be able to do. I felt like such a failure. What joy you must feel when you finally bring your child into this world. I'm very happy for all of you
  #20   ^
Old Wed, Oct-24-07, 13:15
On my way to 200's

Plan: high protein low carb
Stats: 372.6/358/250 Female 5'5
BF:I've got that!
Progress: 12%

So is there anyone else out there TTC now? I have an appt with a RE next month. Just finished going to my new nurse practitioner and was welcomed with open arms. I'm hoping that my pap is aok. She was very positive and did not put me down for being a plus size pcos woman wanting to have a baby. Unlike my Primary Care phycisian that brought up adoption. I am very excited at the prospect of trying again even at my current weight. Tina gave me a month's worth of prenatal vitamins and she told me that the RE I selected is very good.
  #21   ^
Old Thu, Nov-15-07, 16:17

Plan: General LC
Stats: 318/213.2/185 Female 5ft 6.5
BF:
Progress: 79%

I was told all the dam time by random doctors that i have PCOS , even though i had my period for a whole year normally. I also have a septate uterus. Anyways, i was pretty much told that i would miscarry no matter what or i wouldmt get pregnant. I got pregnant despite all that from the first try-- it was a shocker because we werent "really" trying, we were thinking it would take years!

My point is that, no one freaking knows anything when it comes to PCOS and stuff, atleast not in my case. And the more you "try" to get pregnant i think the more you freak yourself out. Just have sex for the enjoyment of having sex.... who knows, you might get preggers b4 you even realize it.

Not that i am out of the woods yet-- i have to get past first trimester to remove my 80% chance of miscarriage.
  #22   ^
Old Thu, Nov-15-07, 16:58

Plan: Paleo-FFP-IF
Stats: 233/168.5/130 Female 160 centimetres
BF:53%,34.5%,23%
Progress: 63%

Malishka, congrtulations!
Wonderful news!
I wish you the best!
Keep posting please!
  #23   ^
Old Fri, Nov-16-07, 01:08

BF:

Thanks. I am not that excited about it though. A part of me has this alarm going off in my head "OMG MY LIFE IS OVER I AM A FREAKIN MOMMY!"

I have this really big fear that when someone asks my husband "define your wife " he will say "she is a good mommy" or something like that. I just dont want to be defined by being a mommy.

Also, dont ware your men out with " i am ovulating lets do it" becuase you will really HORNY when your pregnant and well you know, husbands are useful at that time.
  #24   ^
Old Fri, Nov-16-07, 03:28

Plan: Paleo-FFP-IF
Stats: 233/168.5/130 Female 160 centimetres
BF:53%,34.5%,23%
Progress: 63%

...."Also, dont ware your men out with " i am ovulating lets do it" becuase you will really HORNY when your pregnant and well you know, husbands are useful at that time."

I find yours a really strong personality so I think you have the courage to self-define yourself whatever pleases you!
Don't worry about little things or future issues
Please, enjoy your experience (every possible way!)
Greetings
  #25   ^
Old Sat, Nov-17-07, 11:57

Plan: organic-lowcarb/sugarfree
Stats: 96/96/96 Female 60 inches
BF:
Progress:
Thumbs up

Hey ladies!

WOW! I'm not happy almost everyone here has PCOS but, at the same time, I am; because that means we've got each other for support!!!

I was also diagnosed with PCOS since ~2000 and so the docs started a OC treatment. I had to change OCs about three times because they were too strong for me! I stopped taking the OCs about two months ago because my Hubby and I are TTC and surprisingly, my period has been very regular and, up until now (knock on wood) my eggs haven't developed into cysts--which makes me very happy!

I was also diagnosed with R.Hypoglycemia and I've been LCrbing for about two years. My diet's carbs are always organic and I eat red meats to a minimum but it has really helped out a lot! I never dewveloped any weight problems due to the hypoglycemia except for losing weight too fast!! At the beginning of the LC diet to monitor and stabilize my blood glucose levels I lost a little weight and was scared of losing too much of it; so sometimes I eat a bit more than usual! Does anyone know why this happens--I'll keep researching just in case!

I've never heard of the Met treatment for both PCOS and Hypoglycemia but I do know that Hypoglycemia may cause PCOS and viceversa. I'm going to tell my OBGYN and ENDOC. Thanks for the info!!

I hope everyone gets healthier!
  #26   ^
Old Sat, Nov-17-07, 12:46
Quilting Lover

Plan: atkins
Stats: 235/215/160 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 27%

I wouldn't worry about what they say; you really just need to keep your carbs under control and you will be fine. I know many women who have had a baby with pcos.

For me carbs is a BIG problem so I havent conceived and may never.

And i will also say ENJOY it! Because many of us PCOSers will never get to experience it! Its hard to see someone down when they have what you want and should be happy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malishka31
I was told all the dam time by random doctors that i have PCOS , even though i had my period for a whole year normally. I also have a septate uterus. Anyways, i was pretty much told that i would miscarry no matter what or i wouldmt get pregnant. I got pregnant despite all that from the first try-- it was a shocker because we werent "really" trying, we were thinking it would take years!

My point is that, no one freaking knows anything when it comes to PCOS and stuff, atleast not in my case. And the more you "try" to get pregnant i think the more you freak yourself out. Just have sex for the enjoyment of having sex.... who knows, you might get preggers b4 you even realize it.

Not that i am out of the woods yet-- i have to get past first trimester to remove my 80% chance of miscarriage.
  #27   ^
Old Sat, Nov-17-07, 15:18

BF:

Thanks guys, but i will be quite frank--- there isnt "that" much to enjoy. I know i am preggers against all odds type of deal, but i am freaking tired, sleepy, achy, bitchy, ..dude i annoy myself! I am actually more worried about the septate uterus from this point on, i never really gave into the whole PCOS thing because i wasnt always irregular. I was for about 3 years, then took birth control pills because that is supposed to help, but they make you fat, so i got off of birth control pills and had a normal period for a whole year. But i still showed polysistic ovar and some of the other symptoms, hairyness and stuff. But only 1 gyno said- NO PCOS IF YOU GET PERIOD, every other gyno, even a freakin endo said I have pcos instead of doing their research to find something else that could have been wrong. I mean the gyno that said No to PCOS only said it like 4 years after i been told i have it.
My biggest issue was always septate uterus. For one there is minimal research on it, and scondly, the gyno i went to for my prenatal, didnt even know what i was talking about and couldnt understand the transvaginal ultrasound! my misscarriage thing is mainly b/c of the septate uterus, like my septum might not move out of the way or implatation might have been on the septum. With PCOS i always felt in my head that if weight was under control PCOS would be under control and I could manage some offspring, but i guess witht his septate uterus thing, i dont feel it.... ohh lets not add on the fact that my prenatal visit pap smear showed HPV positive + abnormal fast changing cells. BLAH! I feel i have like everything wrong all in one area.
  #28   ^
Old Sat, Dec-22-07, 21:22

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 158/155/150 Female 70
BF:
Progress: 38%

I've been trying to get pregnant for 3 years. This is my 2nd round of clomid fertility treatment. I had endometriosis removed last month from one of my ovaries. I'm also on metformin and recently started low-carbing.

I'm using the Creighton model/Na Pro Technology route. Basically, it's NFP, but with some added science.

My doctor in St. Louis calls it a war. We have to get one good egg and 1 sperm to meet up, it's just getting it there that's the problem. So, we are working on strategy.

Needless to say, as my period started today I'm a little down. It'd be great to be a mom.
  #29   ^
Old Sun, Dec-23-07, 11:19
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by march2812
I've been trying to get pregnant for 3 years. This is my 2nd round of clomid fertility treatment. I had endometriosis removed last month from one of my ovaries. I'm also on metformin and recently started low-carbing.

I'm using the Creighton model/Na Pro Technology route. Basically, it's NFP, but with some added science.

My doctor in St. Louis calls it a war. We have to get one good egg and 1 sperm to meet up, it's just getting it there that's the problem. So, we are working on strategy.

Needless to say, as my period started today I'm a little down. It'd be great to be a mom.
Vitamin D is very helpful to women with PCOS who are trying to get pregnant.

It's also beneficial for the motility of sperm.
  #30   ^
Old Thu, Dec-27-07, 11:37

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 201/198/155 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress:

I thought I couldn't have kids. Went to several doctors and tried for about 10 years. Then I gave up. Lost a bunch of weight and bought a house thinking I couldn't have kids. I got pregnant four times in a row. I lost the first one, but I now have a 9,7, and 6 year old. Lose some weight and your periods will return and pregnancy can happen.