Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Canada
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Apr-29-03, 19:35

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 297/264.5/180 Female 5'8
BF:3rd/attempt/toLC
Progress: 28%
Default Any Canadians doing CAD??

Hi there,

Just wondering if any of you out there are doing the Carbohydrate Addicts Diet.... I am using this WOE right now but feelign discouraged becasue all info I am finding etc. is really directed towards Atkins, which is a little different the CAD (CAD no carbs in the first 2 meals of the day-reward meal at days's end)

I'm a member of the CAD forum but there is not much action in there.... if there are any canadians out there doing the same plan...lets connect k??

thanks so much
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Apr-30-03, 09:00

Stats: 140/125/125 Female 5 2
BF:33/25/20
Progress: 100%

I read the book and was not impressed. I truly believe that ketosis/lypolosis is the best way to lose fat and the CAD would never put you into ketosis/lypolosis.

However, whatever works for you is what is important.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Apr-30-03, 10:59

Thanks for your input... however with over 100 pds to lose I have to go with a plan that allows me to lose weight but live a life I am happy with... and so far CAD has given me that freedom....

Maybe when I get a little better with will-power and develop a desire to eat that stuff on induction...perhaps I'll try atkins...

who knows..for me now its just getting a Carb Addiction in check!

any other CADers out there???

Last edited by Saweetie : Wed, Apr-30-03 at 11:14.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Apr-30-03, 11:53

Plan: Low Carb - Real Foods
Stats: 177/168.5/140 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 23%

Hey there Saweetie,

Sorry, I'm not a CAD follower, but I hope you don't mind me putting my two cents in.

Personally, I would find that having carbs one meal a day would be harder than no carbs at all. You see with Atkins, you lose those cravings for carbs... it really is the neatest thing. Not to mention, hunger lessens as you go in to ketosis... ie, last night I had to remind myself to eat dinner. I had only had one meal during the day but was not hungry at all. (just so I don't get a tsk tsk... I did eat... nice big ham steak and salad)

Also, if you can stick with induction for two weeks, I can almost guarantee that you will gain willpower from seeing the numbers on the scale go down! It is the most amazing and liberating feeling to look down and want to just cry with joy. Willpower to stick with this WOE sure kicks in after that.

No matter what you choose to go with... we are all here for you.

Good luck!!!

Linnea
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Apr-30-03, 14:42
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 237/173.5/135
BF:
Progress: 62%

here is my opinion...

i tried the cad but i found that i could cram ALOT of food into that hour of my reward meal!!!

it didn't help with my cravings , in fact i think i became ven more obsessed with food as i waited all day for that reward meal.

also, it didn't help me learn moderation or to listen to my body and if it was really hungry or just that it was reward time so eat those handfuls of white choclate cookies, mashed potatoes, pretzels and whatever else i could stuff in my face in an hour....it was UGLY

i have found with atkins that after a few days you really do have less cravings....how is this:

yesterday we had 4 boxes of tim hortons donuts all around (inluding my fave choc stuffed with whipped cream) i took a whiff and passed on by with no cravings...usually i can eat at least SIX before atkins

YIKES

also i weighed nearly 240 and CAD probably added about 15-20 lbs before i went to hypnosis (which has helped me AMAZINGLY!!!)

So you gotta do what you gotta do but why not try atkins for a week or even a few days? can't hurt and you may be pleaseantly surprised

#6   ^
Old Wed, Apr-30-03, 18:24

I am kinda at a crossroads right now... I like CAD... and the "need" for Carbs is lessening- my reward meals often are very low carb etc...

I havn't bought the atkins book just searched around the Atkins Centre website and then here on the forum....but it just sounds a little too dead end for me..a little too much change all at once... i really never got past reading about induction but that was enough to scare me to the CAD hills...

I might see if they have the book in the library to read more about the entire thing... I know there are 4 stages and your carbs increase a little bit as you progress... but only 20 carbs in a day is intimidating.. I really don;t like veggies all that much... so starving is looking like the only option???

Sorry this post is so random...but I am just trying to work things out in my head as I type...

thanks for any input you may have...
  #7   ^
Old Thu, May-01-03, 04:15

Plan: CAD from day 1
Stats: 327/304/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 14%
Cool I'm in Canada and on CAD

I started on Sept 3, 2002 and have lost about 68 lbs since then. I have enjoyed CAD through all the holidays without needing to deviate from it at all. It is a very liveable program and very realistic for someone with a lot of weight to lose. Especially if you still want to be able to enjoy your favourite higher carb foods from time to time without feeling like you are cheating.

My reward meal is never a desperate, gorging event where I try to see how much food I can cram in in 60 minutes. I eat a normal meal, usually followed by dessert and rarely even use the 60 mins, unless at a restaurant. I find the longer I am on it, the more choosy I get about what foods I want. I have things that I really like now.

And CAD has totally relieved me of my carb cravings. I eat very low carb all day and don't even think about food. I pass by food at work all the time without a glance. At first I used to take bits of things home for my RM, but I rarely do that now, unless it is something very special. And when it comes time to have my reward meal, some days I have not even given a thought to it at all. This of course has changed, at first I did think about it a lot during the day, but that helped me get over the deprived feeling that I hear others also talking about.

CAD has been a lifesaver for me. I'm sorry, but a perfect life for me DOES include a piece of cake, or some icecream or chocolate sometimes. With CAD, I can have all that and still lose at a good rate. What is not to love I realize that it is not for everyone, and I am certainly not trying to say that it is. It is for me, though.. and I am really happy about that!

Tracy
  #8   ^
Old Thu, May-01-03, 10:11

Plan: My own
Stats: 340/340/180 Female 5' 10"
BF:way/too/much
Progress: 0%
Cool been there, done that

I tried it several times but kept falling off. I'd turn my reward meals into binges. Couldn't handle all those carbs. I'm on Atkins now, so maybe give this program a try, it's working well for me. Try and stay motivated, drink lots of water and get some exercise, even if it's only walking! Keep it up!

Nicole