Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Apr-28-04, 22:09

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 136/129/118 Female 5 ft 2 in
BF:
Progress: 39%
Default Another question for all the short people

I"m prettty short and I know that my torso is long in proportion to my legs. In fact my legs carry most of my weight. My question is, do you lose weight in your calves too, or not really. I have really big calves and when I used to work them out they got huge. Also wondering, when you lose the weight in the legs, do they make a short person look more lean?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Apr-29-04, 02:22

Plan: ex-atkins
Stats: 175/105/115 Female 5 ft 0
BF:
Progress: 117%

I am 4ft 11.5" and have pretty short legs, proportionately. Losing weight didn't make my legs grow longer . It did make them smaller, but they are in the same proportions. The difference is my 'stocky [surname] legs' as my grandmother calls them, aren't really noticeably stocky anymore.

I think that generally people maintain their proportions, within reason, although having a low body fat percentage and good muscle tone can change proportions a bit. Generally though, ever see a skinny girl with a big butt? If she put on weight she'd get a bigger butt, not a more evened figure. The difference is bigger calves might look different/less noticeable on a generally slimmer person then on a larger person.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Apr-29-04, 06:18
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 150/147/125 Female 5 ft 2 inch
BF:
Progress: 12%
Default being short myself...

I think it depends on your body shape. I am an hourglass and I lose first in my waist then hips/thighs and bust. My calves and upper arms would be the last to go. I have inherited the upper arm jiggle from mom and grandma. Someone posted the link to escape your shape which gave ideas for excersise for your specific shape and mine said I shouldn't use ankle weights which I thought was odd.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Apr-29-04, 06:33

Stats: 282.6/273.1/225 Male 6' 3"
BF:34/33/17%
Progress: 16%

Your calves will shrink, but they'll be the last to go.

Everytime you walk, run, cycle, or basically do anything requiring movement, the muscles in your calves are being used. It will take a long time for them to adjust to the new weight and then begin to shrink.

This holds true for everyone, not just short people.

I'm 6' 3" and have 'tree trunk' legs as my freinds call them. My ankles are thin, but my calves are huge. After 50lbs of loss, I've lost 1 inch on both of them. Over time I will lose more.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Apr-29-04, 07:10

Stats: 169/132/132 Female 153 cm
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi

I have a bit of an hourglass figure too. I have the wonderful MASSIVE thighs from my mom's side of the family, and they have gotten a bit smaller, but I am now having trouble finding pants that will fit over my thighs okay!

I hope to lose more, too!

M
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Apr-29-04, 07:28

Plan: Cyclic Ketogenic Diet (Ti
Stats: 212/149/140 Male 5'7
BF:
Progress: 88%

i'm 5'7" (pretty short compared to other guys ) ... anyways, people tell me it looks like i've gotten taller since i've gotten more slenderererer (woot! i made up a word! and double positive haha...), it should be the same case for you when you get closer to your goal ...

it really depends on genetics on where the fat will stay and when it will go at certain BF%/weight levels... for me, i noticed the fat on the face and tummy go last