Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jan-05-01, 20:37

Plan:
Stats: 229/219/140
BF:
Progress:
Question

Does anyone have any tips on how to find a doctor who supports low carb eating and will help wean one off of unnecessary medications?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jan-05-01, 20:45

Plan:
Stats: 175/140/130
BF:
Progress:
Default Supportive doctor???

Are you looking for your self or just wanting general information? If so where do you live?
Where I live one has to wait for over an hour to get to see a doctor so I am not too keen on going too often. She supports me but for the most part one should remember that doctors do not study that much on nutrition so they may not always be up on these matters.
At least that is what I think
NNN
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jan-05-01, 20:58

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:
Wink Why tell your Dr.

When i went on this woe, I did not tell anyone and had to go to the Dr. once a month for a blood pressure check. When it started to go down he asked me if I was doing anything different and I told him I would chat with him the next month. The next month I went with my arms full of printed material about this woe and he approved when he read the info. In fact he has put one of his patients on this woe also but for another disease. Fibromyalgia which I also HAD but it has gone since I started this woe. So why bother to tell your Dr.or go with information off the net and ask her to read it before she makes another critical remark
KRISTY
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jan-05-01, 21:23

Plan:
BF:
Progress:
Default Looking for a doctor

I am moderately interested in finding a doctor for myself but I am more concerned about my mother. I've been trying to sell her the idea of this woe and she seems agreeable to trying it but just today I found out that she stopped using her premarin patch 4 days ago and, frankly, I'm worried. I was hoping to find a doctor for her to maybe help wean her off of the hormone with diet. She's been taking premarin for years and I heard it could be dangerous to just stop suddenly like that. We are in the Toronto area but I don't know how to begin searching for a doctor that will really try to help take her OFF hormones - if that's possible
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jan-05-01, 21:44

Plan:
BF:
Progress:
Default Dee yee

Hi Deeyee
If no one answers your call for a doctor please write to me privately
and I will see what else I can do to point you in the right direction.
Norma

[Edited by NNN on 05-01-01 at 23:03]
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jan-06-01, 20:11

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:
Cool

Hi Dee Yee:
I thought it was you who was looking for a Dr. Why oh why does your mother want to go off her hormones? I also wanted to go off mine at one time and my Gyn-ob Dr. asked me to take them until I was 99 years old. Have you searched the net about all the diseases hormones prevent. Maybe your Mom needs to read up on these preventive measures by taking hormones.Reading all the info on the net sure changed my mind. I hope for her sake that she stays on them. KRISTY
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jan-06-01, 20:43

Plan:
BF:
Progress:
Default Hormones/ HRT

I think taking HRT is a very personal thing . I am 53 and I was on the patch for 6 weeks a number of years ago. At the time I smoked and had a terrible pain in my leg and at 5:30 one evening I took off the patch. By 8 the pain was almost gone and by the next day not a trace. Smoking and HRT can be bad for blood clots. I did not want to have periods and by taking the patch I would continue for awhile to have them. I have had some dillies of hot flashes but am mostly over them now.
When my mom was 75 the doctor gave her Premarin. She said she stopped taking them as she was feeling rather violated. She said "Imagine!! Giving pills to an old lady that make her nipples leak."
Also on a personal note, for myself, I am not keen on the away those poor mares are treated just to collect their urine.
There are pros and cons of taking HRT and just because a doctor prescribes it does not mean it is for everyone.
And that is my personal opinion and no way meant to suggest that some one should take or not take HRT,. I just think it is a very personal decision.
NNN
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Jan-07-01, 11:18
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Deeyee,

There should be a listing for the Naturopatchic Association in the phone book. Ask for one who is a trained medical doctor as well as a naturopathic practitioner. Naturopaths treat the body as a whole, not just the parts with symptoms. They will be able to help your mother with natural hormone therapy and advise her on and eating plan. Generally most of them will not prescribe the carbohydrate loaded standard diet. They lean towards a more natural way of eating.

Karen
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jan-08-01, 11:36
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Sorry! That should be naturopathic not naturopatchic?

Naturopatchic? Could that be low-carb organic in a little black dress? LOL!

Karen
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Jan-08-01, 12:03

Plan:
BF:
Progress:
Smile

Thanks!

I knew what you meant but I like your definition better.
Maybe you've just created a new word.