Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Pre-Maintenance & Maintenance
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#151   ^
Old Thu, Nov-13-14, 15:25

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

Hello my friends. Right now I am working hard to re-qualify for membership in the Maintainers Elite. I did well from about 2003 to 2012. It's amazing how fast a person can lose ground to the wicked Weight Creep when you wander out of the fold. THIS fold.

You let a man into your life, and love can lead to a certain happy-go-lucky lifestyle. I'm not sorry, but he hasn't gained the weight, and I have! Not fair, is it!?

Best wishes. See you on the forum. I need you!
Sponsored Links
  #152   ^
Old Thu, Nov-13-14, 15:44

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 169.2/137/149 Female 69inches
BF:
Progress: 159%

BK love seeing you here!!
  #153   ^
Old Sun, Nov-16-14, 08:18

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkloots
You let a man into your life, and love can lead to a certain happy-go-lucky lifestyle. I'm not sorry, but he hasn't gained the weight, and I have! Not fair, is it!?

It's a lovely thing to learn maintaining while being in love.
  #154   ^
Old Tue, Nov-18-14, 23:39

BF:

Love to know youre in love BK!!
  #155   ^
Old Thu, Nov-20-14, 06:43
MAINTAINING ON CALP

Plan: CALP/CAHHP
Stats: 180/125/150 Female 65 in
BF:
Progress: 183%

hi-
welcome BK!!! Great to see you!

Deborah- you are doing great. I read your question about how maintainable/healthy you are right now. Have you read any of the Schwartzbein books? She talks about your body finding a healthy weight when it heals itself.

Who- I LOVE that quote about the husband! Perfect! Sorry someone was difficult- one of the reasons I love this area is we are all experienced and kind to each other.

later-
E
  #156   ^
Old Thu, Nov-20-14, 10:15

BF:

Eno....sounds like a good idea....I think my body likes this weight....I am very energetic and active....it just sometimes kinda startles me when I see pictures...or look in the mirror...I went to the dmv yesterday to renew my license..I try to always be honest about my weight on the license..not that they care but it serves as a "marker" for me...4 years ago I was 150...what I considered a good weight ....that made me smile..this year I could honestly put 137!!! my license is good for 8 yrs....my goal is to be at the same weight or close when I go in to renew then.....
  #157   ^
Old Thu, Nov-20-14, 10:34

BF:

Just got back from my birthday trip to a dude ranch in Arizona..OHMYGOSH it was fun....rode there on our motorcycle...hiked a nicely intense hike in the mountains....big elevation change!!!! loved it!! A good challenge...my DH called "uncle" first!!!! wooohooo....horseback riding thru the desert....ate poorly..lesson learned...NOTHING tasted that good.. the only saving grace was we were very active the whole time.....thinking back breakfast was my only eating challenge...I ate like I was a construction worker...oat meal...eggs....a biscuit ( ok the biscuits WERE the best I have ever had ANYWHERE)..a small pastry one day....it struck me as funny....I eat cheese...or cheese and meat normally for breakfast...cheesy eggs on the weekend...

I am totally back on plan....a little craving...easily conquered
tomorrow is weigh in so we will see what damage I did..

The end of the month is my 60th birthday...my body says 40...my face...uh well I may look my age in the face.. Ill try to post a picture of me on the horse....Im proud of how I look..
this is NOT what I thought "old lady 60" would look and be like..
  #158   ^
Old Thu, Nov-20-14, 11:44

Plan: Low Carb Primal
Stats: 170/135/135 Female 5ft.6in.
BF:
Progress: 100%

Envy you so much your wonderful time in Arizona. I've ridden a motorcycle, hiked through the Sonoran Desert and rode horses there too. But the dude ranch is still on my bucket list. I enjoy that part of the world so much I'm actually looking for a place in southern Arizona to retire to. Yeah, I never thought I'd look this good, be this active and have this much fun as an old lady. I was fatter, unhealthier, and probably looked older 17 years ago when menopause kicked in. Woohoo!
  #159   ^
Old Thu, Oct-08-15, 21:20

Stats: 248/149.2/148 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 99%

BUMP!!

I still listen to long term maintainers.....I try to stay engaged here for that very reason...

I continue to exercise 300 min a week..at a vigorous level...I still wear a sz 2..sometimes a 0...I stay between 137-141... if I go over I do VLC for 3-5 days to reset my focus... I still eat to quell my emotions.....but that now is limited by my consistent weighing...and accountability system Ive set up....I am 1 meal away from giving it all away....I lost 109 lbs in 1995...I have gained back some ...never more than 30.....I now stand 12 lbs below....I have 18 months of staying 112- 108 lbs from my highest weight....If I can do this ANYONE can
  #160   ^
Old Fri, Oct-09-15, 08:50

Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

Thank you so much for bumping this thread, or I might never have found it.

At 64, I don't need to lose quickly, especially now that I'm less than 20 lbs from my new, lower goal. So, even as the scale creeps down, I look at how I'm eating as maintenance. Can I eat THIS much of plan food and keep the scale from climbing, or is it too much?

I learn so much from the long term members here. And, because I've been a wellness coach for a long time, I want to smack my head against the wall at the excuses and the complaints, myself.

The thing that bugs me the most is people who set aspirational weight loss goals, and then complain when they don't hit them. If there's anything I've learned from my own weight issues it's that the scale is a poor indicator, and so long as we're not gaining, we're winning.
  #161   ^
Old Fri, Oct-09-15, 09:13

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

Well, well, well. My thread got "bumped." Here's the latest.

I lost most, but not all, of the extra weight I put on during courtship days. Happily married for almost two years, and "going steady" with maintenance.

Yes, it's good to have friends at the forum. I recommend it.
  #162   ^
Old Sun, Oct-11-15, 11:29

Plan: Dr. Westman
Stats: 280/170/170 Female 69.8 in
BF:
Progress: 100%

I just read every post in this 11 page thread. Wow! Lots of wisdom here. Thanks to everyone who contributed.

I am closing in on 80 pounds lost over the last 10 months, 75% of the way to my goal weight. My Doc and I have been having conversations about maintenance, which she says is harder than losing. I am starting to work on my game plan. I will admit it's been a bit discouraging to see so many people on a constant lose/gain cycle. This thread is like a breath of fresh air.

Years ago, I started out with small changes - giving up soda, giving up Diet Coke, making exercise consistent. While all good changes, I was not seeing the results I wanted. I kept gaining. Things I like to do became more difficult and my health was declining.

Last year, I found my doctor who put me on a LCHF diet. I stick very close to the diet she gave me. I know I can't go back to my old way of eating. I am working on figuring out my long-term plan. Thanks to all for your insights.
  #163   ^
Old Sun, Oct-11-15, 11:35
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReneeH20
I just read every post in this 11 page thread. Wow! Lots of wisdom here. Thanks to everyone who contributed.

I am closing in on 80 pounds lost over the last 10 months, 75% of the way to my goal weight. My Doc and I have been having conversations about maintenance, which she says is harder than losing. I am starting to work on my game plan. I will admit it's been a bit discouraging to see so many people on a constant lose/gain cycle. This thread is like a breath of fresh air.

Years ago, I started out with small changes - giving up soda, giving up Diet Coke, making exercise consistent. While all good changes, I was not seeing the results I wanted. I kept gaining. Things I like to do became more difficult and my health was declining.

Last year, I found my doctor who put me on a LCHF diet. I stick very close to the diet she gave me. I know I can't go back to my old way of eating. I am working on figuring out my long-term plan. Thanks to all for your insights.

Congrats on your losses to date.
I want to encourage you to make this your way of eating for life by learning to add in good carbs(OWL phase of Atkins) as you continue your weight loss. It will broaden your food choices making it less likely to stray in maintenance. It has been my way for the past 10 years.
  #164   ^
Old Thu, Oct-15-15, 01:41

Plan: Atkins & IF
Stats: 260/213/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%

Hi

I remember asking you maintainers on a different thread some questions about your success 5 years ago. I remember Judy challenging me to keep a journal and to log my food daily. I didn't. I'm here 5 years later, having endured a really sick pregnancy, my thyroid crashing, and severe anemia (thought to be due to my monthly hemorrhage) and 30 pounds heavier. 😔 Why didn't I listen back then?! I had some maintainers give me some tough love back then and I only looked at it with gratitude. Some person, whom I've never met, is taking time out of their life to invest in mine! I was humbled and greatly appreciated it. But I didn't listen. Melissa (forgot her member name...melibsmile?) tried to tell me that soy was likely bloating me and that I needed to get my thyroid checked...years before it crashed. Did I listen? Nope. I...considered it..a lot...but did what I darn well pleased. She encouraged me to plan better because she noticed that despite my best intentions, things seemed to spiral downhill when I failed to plan. I'm getting better about that but still am not even close to being prepared on a weekly basis. My point in that pity party is to say that had I listened to the maintainers 5 years ago, I wouldn't have had to pull my fat clothes back out of the closet right now. And to be honest, I'm not sure what's worse, having newbies argue with you guys or people like me, who know that what you say is true...but who don't seem to change. 😔
  #165   ^
Old Thu, Oct-15-15, 07:15
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by FREE2BEME
Hi

I remember asking you maintainers on a different thread some questions about your success 5 years ago. I remember Judy challenging me to keep a journal and to log my food daily. I didn't. I'm here 5 years later, having endured a really sick pregnancy, my thyroid crashing, and severe anemia (thought to be due to my monthly hemorrhage) and 30 pounds heavier. 😔 Why didn't I listen back then?! I had some maintainers give me some tough love back then and I only looked at it with gratitude. Some person, whom I've never met, is taking time out of their life to invest in mine! I was humbled and greatly appreciated it. But I didn't listen. Melissa (forgot her member name...melibsmile?) tried to tell me that soy was likely bloating me and that I needed to get my thyroid checked...years before it crashed. Did I listen? Nope. I...considered it..a lot...but did what I darn well pleased. She encouraged me to plan better because she noticed that despite my best intentions, things seemed to spiral downhill when I failed to plan. I'm getting better about that but still am not even close to being prepared on a weekly basis. My point in that pity party is to say that had I listened to the maintainers 5 years ago, I wouldn't have had to pull my fat clothes back out of the closet right now. And to be honest, I'm not sure what's worse, having newbies argue with you guys or people like me, who know that what you say is true...but who don't seem to change. 😔

Hugs to you Brandy!
I'm sorry that you're facing changing with so much resistance. It is a very hard thing to do. It is not impossible though and when you are ready, you'll embrace it. Being a young mother to what, 3 kids now?, much of your focus is on them first, you come after. If you can find a way to put yourself first, things will probably get easier for you.

Last edited by Judynyc : Thu, Oct-15-15 at 08:05. Reason: typo