Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#241   ^
Old Mon, Jul-10-06, 21:56

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 198/179/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Yeah, I'm scale obsessed--but for me it's working so much better than being mirror- and scale-adverse.

My sister-in-law who has weighed 104-107 lbs since her wedding day decades ago is a CPA and varies her day's intake according to what the scale shows on a given morning weigh in. The math has worked for her. But then she's a CPA....

Hope you and your husband find this as simple and satisfying as we have. Watermelon is in season, it being July! I ate some Sunday, and I swear I think it helped me drop a pound. Slow crockpot cooking is a way to make the cheaper cuts like 7-blade steak and short cuts fall off the bone. I'm far more aware of meat cuts than I ever was (since my previous focus was usually produce and bread and anything made with Tofu). What an education!
Sponsored Links
  #242   ^
Old Wed, Jul-12-06, 16:13

BF:

I'm importing this statement from my journal, since it's for the record.
Quote:
Originally Posted by santabarb
Official weight declaration just for the record: This morning:

Husband:
207.8 lbs

Wife:
183.4 lbs

Yes, it's working. Thank you Banting, Stefansson, Pennington, Donaldson, Anchell, Atkins and others in the illustrious tradition of 'Some meat a day keeps the pounds away.'
  #243   ^
Old Wed, Jul-12-06, 16:47

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

<cue the Hallelujah chorus!>

That's wonderful! I'm very envious, of course. I'm slowly getting into the Anchell mode. Need to do some grocery shopping, but that won't be until Saturday. Until then I'll have to do without some of the things. Still, I'm having meat at every meal, and an occasional pear, sweet potato, or banana.
  #244   ^
Old Thu, Jul-13-06, 14:58
Registered Member

Plan: Anchell
Stats: 200.8/191.4/140 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 15%

go for the Anchell, that is what I am doing and I love it. Did it 8 years ago and lost 50 pounds, 40 came back after 8 years so now I am back to it. Just started this Monday 7/10 so 6 pounds gone. I look forward to 6 to 8 pounds a month to be gone.

Don't give up!

Nancy
  #245   ^
Old Thu, Jul-13-06, 17:58

BF:

Hey Nancy! Think you can post your recipes here and there so I can get an idea what you're eating? And how much?

The cupboards (and fridge) are bare. Literally! All you see when you look in the fridge is white walls and silver shelves. I won't have a chance to go grocery shopping until Saturday.

Keep posting here. I want to know how this works for you. SantaBard is doing extremely well with it, as is her hubby.

Good to know!
  #246   ^
Old Fri, Jul-14-06, 09:44
Registered Member

BF:
Cool

The anchell diet is a steak lovers diet. It has been talked about on this site in other threads.
You can eat all the meats with salt and pepper, parika seasoning. You have a medium portion of:
pears
potatoes,
sweet potatoes
grapes
watermelon
bananas
rice
blueberrie
raspberries
grapefruit

These you can have 3 times a day.
Here is an example of my meals

Breakfast 1 banana with green tea
mid morning small hambuger pattie mixed with salt pepper, parika cilantro
lunch 2 pieces of chicken thighs with the skin on cooked on the BBq
with watermelon.
snack if I am hungry any type of meat
dinner rib eye steak with french fries made in a fryer with coconut oil.

This is just one of the many things you can eat.
You can have all the beef, chicken, pork, lamb, fish. turkey, lobster, shrimp.
Making sure you don't use sugar. Many condiments have sugar so this is a no no.

I like to do lots of BBq on the week-end it make it much easier during the week. I will do rib eye steak that has been marniated in white wine vinger and spices without sugar, chicken with the skin on it. Cook Fish in butter on the stove. BBq baby back ribs. Chuck steak is good in the broiler with seasoning.
Find the kinds of meats that you like and stick to those. The fatter the meat the better. It is the fat that helps you lose.

Have fun with it!
Nancy
  #247   ^
Old Fri, Jul-14-06, 09:50
Registered Member

BF:

Oh yeah my hubby is doing it with me which makes things easier. so far he has lost 4 pounds and me 6 pounds. I do my weight in every friday.
I eat as much meat as I want until I get full. I keep the sides to a medium portion.

I am excited about this. I am tried of trying to figure out how and why it works. All I know is that it does work and that is good enough for me.

Nancy
  #248   ^
Old Fri, Jul-14-06, 14:01

BF:

Wow, Nancymg and Bawdy--

Nice not hear my voice echoing alone here on the Anchell thread for once!!! I felt like a lone Swiss yodeler, "Heeeeeellllloooooooooo, theeeeeere!" Now we've got a threesome, including husbands in the background, six of us. A very welcome change!

Bawdy, if you don't mind scrolling back on my journal, I have about 2 month's worth of menus recorded. Some of my menus are on this Anchell thread too, though usually I save my more personal postings like details about menus for my journal to spare those who don't give a rap about the daily minutiae.

Nancy, you're the first "grad" of this way of eating I've ever come across. I'm sure you have valuable insights to share!

For the record:
Husband 205.6 lbs today
Wife 184.2 lbs today

Did our 30 minute walk, but half of it was actually biking in the cool morning air. Just for fun.

Last edited by santabarb : Fri, Jul-14-06 at 18:54.
  #249   ^
Old Fri, Jul-14-06, 14:04

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BawdyWench
<cue the Hallelujah chorus!>

That's wonderful! I'm very envious, of course. I'm slowly getting into the Anchell mode. Need to do some grocery shopping, but that won't be until Saturday. Until then I'll have to do without some of the things. Still, I'm having meat at every meal, and an occasional pear, sweet potato, or banana.

Envious of what? Currently you're in the mid 160s, I'm in the mid 180s. I'm very envious of course!
  #250   ^
Old Fri, Jul-14-06, 20:07

BF:

That's assuming my stats are correct, which they're not, sad to say. They were close prior to vacation, but now much higher. I stopped taking my hormones and supplements on vacation, and BOOM I gained a good 10 or more pounds.

I'll fill you in tomorrow. I'm sooooo tired and need to be in bed. It's been a long week.

Talk with you tomorrow!
  #251   ^
Old Sat, Jul-15-06, 06:06

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by santabarb
Now we've got a threesome, including husbands in the background, six of us.

Make that 5. DH doesn't believe in such things. He eats what he eats. He understands the value of a LC lifestyle, but that doesn't stop him from having his cookies and milk. He eats far too many carbs for my liking, but I can't live his life for him.

Nancy, I agree with Barb in that it's nice to hear from a "grad" of this plan. I guess I'm still struggling with the "why" of it all. Why in the world can you have blueberries but not strawberries or blackberries?

My issue is in the morning. When DH is in town (he travels a lot for business), I have to take the dog to "play date" every day on the way to work. This makes my commute almost 90 minutes one way. That means I get up at 4:00, and often don't get home until 6:00 or 7:00, sometimes later.

Lunch, I'm fine with, as I am with dinner. It's just breakfast. I simply don't have the time to cook. I would love to have something to just grab and go. I know I could take my protein portion and nuke it once I get to work, but something in me wants something faster.

I've been mulling over a few ideas. I've made coconut bars out of coconut oil, unsweetened coconut, protein powder, and unsweetened peanut butter, but the coconut and peanut butter are now "allowed" here.

Then I thought about Scotch Eggs. You hard-boil some eggs, wrap sausage around them, and fry them up. But eggs aren't "allowed" either. And, I currently have 2 dozen eggs in the fridge. I'll be eating those, though, til they're gone, whether they're allowed or not.

Still, there should be some kind of concoction we could come up with that could be a "grab and go" meal. Don't you think?
  #252   ^
Old Sat, Jul-15-06, 08:19

BF:

BawdyWench--

There are three possible solutions I see for quick breakfast:

1.Easiest could be: Thin ribeye steaks fried up. They are cut by the butchers to be about 1/4 of an inch and fry up in about 2 minutes.

2.Cheap meats like chuck or 7 bone crockpotted overnight, Pull out what you want; refrigerate the pot; put soft meat put in a portable container and take with to eat on a morning break with an acceptable carb of choice.

3. You could buy a small grill for about $14 and take thinly sliced ribeye or pork chop to work to have for break and/or lunch.

4. You could stop at a fast food burger place and ask for just burger(s) and unsalted fries. My husband and I have done that with no problems of weight gain.

Hope these ideas help a bit, Bawdy. Where do you add the 30 minute walk?

SantaBarb

For weight loss resistant people Anchell recommends that you could eat twice a day, but with your day being so long I don't supposed it's appealing or healthy for you.
  #253   ^
Old Sat, Jul-15-06, 08:45

BF:

A 30-minute walk? Not in the cards yet. This week has been a killer. I even told DH last night that when he's out of town, overtime at work is out of the question. I'm going to try to get in some workouts starting this week. It's just so hard when I have only about an hour to myself when I get home from work before having to go to bed.

Do you think protein powder shake (with added coconut oil) would be acceptable for an occasional breakfast?
  #254   ^
Old Sat, Jul-15-06, 09:22

Plan: LC
Stats: 157/155/135 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 9%

Interesting thread - joining up so I can watch your progress - plus, I
miss potatoes and sweet spuds too.
  #255   ^
Old Sat, Jul-15-06, 15:25
Registered Member

BF:

It is good to have fellow Anchellites
If you don't really need alot for breakfast have some tea and one of the fruits that are allowed. Make some mini hambugers that you can heat up at work. I like the idea about the burger and fries take out. Chicken is easy on the system in the morning.

Well off to do my BBq for the week. I have rib ey steaks, chuck steak, chicken, hambugers.

Oh for lunch I pan fried some burgers with seasoning and added mustard on top. it was good.. Did not even miss the bun.

Here's to keep ongoing
Nancy